• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    As everyone has said it comes down to weight vs. size. If you want a true pocket pistol that is lightweight you will pay in shootability. If you only need to be able to effectively shoot one magazine or less in a SD situation then, with practice, you should be able to manage any of the guns mentioned. As a true BUG you might be willing to accept some additional weight. If that is the case then the Sig P238 is a fine shooter. It is a bit heavier and it carries cocked and locked. Some people don't like that in something that may reside in a pocket. If you are willing to use an IWB or ankle carry instead of the pocket then a Bersa, CZ 82/83 or Walther would be the ticket. As for the snubbies, like the rest, weight equals shooting comfort. Shooting comfort also will contribute to accuracy. Every handgun is a compromise. What is most important to you?

My BUG is a Polish Army P64. No fun at the range but very accurate, dependable (at least mine is) and although heavier than most, very concealable. Plus the 9x18 Makarov round is a better performer than .380. YMMV.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    i have a bersa thunder 380, a keltec P3AT, and a smith&wesson .38. it all depends on what you expect from your carry gun. i started out carrying a para full frame .45. slimmed down to bersa. went back up to glock 19. and now ive slimmed back down to the P3AT. IMHO..im not gonna shoot a great distance, not going to need a lot of rounds. just my thoughts on it. the P3AT was the most comfortable to carry. shoot a magazine every few months and im good to go.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Neither round is enjoyable to shoot in a mini-platform. But both are serviceable. It all depends on the weight of the firearm and the grip size.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Specifically comparing KT's P3AT to Rugers LCR 38 - the P3AT has less to hold onto and with the factory grip provides a sure/somewhat aggressive grip, not soft. The LCR's factory included Hogue Tamer and frame construction make it a bit more comfortable. Never thought I'd be back on the wheel gun train. Had to try the LCR and now I like the option.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have to say from owning both: Bersa Thunder 380, and S & W 442 38 spec, the Bersa is easier to fire, especially close range. The extra weight of a loaded magazine allows to gun to sit right in my hand, the 442 seems lighter, and my small pinkie finger wraps under the grips.(Boot Grips by Spegel). 7rd mag allows fast refill vs loose or speedloader 38s to refresh the 442. A little big for a pocket carry, IWB is preferred carry of the Bersa. Take a friend who has one and try them both.

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    My S&W 380 bodyguard isn't bad to shoot at all. I haven't shot a .38 revolver to compare it with though. Ultimately, it's going to depend on the gun. Try as many as you can and go with what you like the best.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Experience

My Bersa Thunder 380, is for me very managable. I have shot 38's, SW with 4" barrel, and found it harsher than my Bersa. I would think the light weight 38's, would be unpleasant to say the least.

Hilker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    CHECK OUT THE SIG P238 ITS A MINI 1911, GET THE EXTENDED MAG. AND IT WILL FILL YOUR HAND. THIS IS ALL METAL GUN SO IT HAS SOME WEIGHT TO IT AND MAKES IT EASIER TO HANDLE. I LIKE IT SO MUCH I BOUGHT TWO, BUT GET READY TO GET YOUR WALLET OUT ROUND 7 BILLS.:draw:

Hilker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Check out the sig p238, its a mini 1911, get the extended mag and it will fill your hand. its all metal so it has some weight and that makes it easier to handle. i like it so much i bought two. get ready to get your wallet out
    there a little pricey around 7 bills:draw:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Get an LCR in .357 and load it with .38Sp+P rounds. Easy as pie to shoot. .357's are a beast in that though. Definitely prefer it over an LCP or a S&W Bodyguard.

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    I also recommend the Sig p238. Very comfortable for more and easy to shoot. Feels no different than my compact 9mm. And just as accurate. Also feels much more sturdy and less painful than the Taurus 380 I shot.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have two .380 cals. a Government model IV, "mini 1911" (similar to a Mustang but a little larger I think) and a Kel-Tec P3-AT...

The P3AT is NOT fun to shoot in my opinion, cause for my meathook hands its just too small. The bigger reason I dont like the Keltec tho is reliability. I have had it back to the factory twice, and had a half dozen different people shoot it and it continues to Fail to Eject... Anyone want one with a CT Laser on it, I would not hesitate parting with it in a heartbeat...
    Even as a BUG, if you cant depend on it to operate, are you willing to bet your life on it.... I think not....

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    As most have already stated it depends on the weight of the handgun. I carry either a .380 or a .357. I often practice with .38 in the .357. Both are enjoyable to shoot.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I can't speak to the 380, but I do own and daily carry an LCR. I've found it to be both an easy gun to shoot as well as a son of a b... depends on the ammo used. I reload, and only shoot my reloads through it now. Before reloading, I was surprised to find how different brand of "standard" pressure 38s would vary in pressure. I've had some factory ammo kill my hand to the point that I couldn't stand it after 5 shots... and other brands/loads that I could shoot all day without giving it a second thought. If you go with a 38, just test different types of ammo in small quantities to find out what works best for you.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had a Keltec P3AT .380 and it hurt my fingers to shoot SD loads. Not a concern in a life/death situation but enough to notice in range time. I sold it and now have a S&W 37 .38 and its not as concealable but I like it. It's not a BUG but a truck gun. The P3AT was my ultra deep concealment wheelchair gun.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The key to handling the little .380's is to get a good, fricative grip add-on. Some rough textured grip tape or a hogue grip on a little .380 like the LCP will make it night and day easier to handle than the bare plastic.

Absolutely :yesway:
    I put a Hogue Handall Jr. on my LCP and trim it down to fit, amazing how much difference it makes on the grip and comfort but doesn't make it any harder to pocket carry, much better than the pinky extensions IMO.

As for the thread question, it depends as much on the gun as the caliber, but overall I would say the 380 is going to have less recoil than a 38 when compared in similar weight guns.

I own a LCP and a LCR, and while I like them both I prefer the LCP.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i've owned a Charter Arms 38 snubby revolver, and a SIG P238. The Sig was much more enjoyable to shoot. ideally, it would be great if you could shoot some of each. While I love the 1911-style compact SIGs, I also really like the simplicity of the revolver. On the range, I'd definitely choose the 380, it doesn't tire me as quickly.

Top Bottom