• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have used it all. 223WSSM, 243WSSM, 25WSSM. I got lucky once and found 300 rounds of 243WSSM at a Gander Mountain in Indy that was on the discontinued rack, $25/50, got it all. Bought some off of Gunbroker, 25WSSM all nickel, can't remember the price, but, it was good or I wouldn't have bought it! ;)
    Also have placed orders online when the items were back ordered and miraculously, it came into stock!

If you buy online, try Wideners, Graf and Sons and of course Midway, Sinclair, Natchez and the other big guys. If you want to stay closer to home, try Fin, Fur and Feathers in Ohio.
    And, if I were you, I would try Just Hunt in Wabash, Kempf in Michigan City and Granger Guns in Granger.

Hope that helps.

Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Looks like Christmas is coming early this year! Mike from Dedicated Technology just called and told me my upper is up for fabrication! Over the past year I bought a Rock Chucker Supreme loading kit. Any of you experience 358 loaders have any advice on other products I should be looking into?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't know what "exact" chamber you have, so you may need one or all of the following... case length trimmer, neck reamer, neck turning tools, case mouth chamfer tool.

Too bad you'll probably miss this deer season.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Also, it won't make your 358WSSM any less effective, but it looks like the odds are pretty good Indiana will allow "normal" rifle cartridges for deer hunting in 2015.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

I guess what I meant was, there are as many different 358 WSSM's chamber soecs as there are gun makers. Depending on your chamber/reamer spec, you may need different tools to prep the brass for your specific chamber.

Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Dooooo, yes I see that the gun hunting regs may change again! LOL what do you guys think about it? Do you think it will actually change or stay the same?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Dooooo, yes I see that the gun hunting regs may change again! LOL what do you guys think about it? Do you think it will actually change or stay the same?

In general, the regulations proposed in the fall are voted on and passed into law the following spring, with few changes. I am fairly certain the law will change yet again and we'll be able to hunt deer with any common centerfire rifle cartridges firing bullets .243" or larger.

What do I think about it? I think it's long overdue for most of the state, and I think there should be certain counties where the regs stay the same.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    In general, the regulations proposed in the fall are voted on and passed into law the following spring, with few changes. I am fairly certain the law will change yet again and we'll be able to hunt deer with any common centerfire rifle cartridges firing bullets .243" or larger.

What do I think about it? I think it's long overdue for most of the state, and I think there should be certain counties where the regs stay the same.

I responded their survey. Told 'em any caliber short of .50 BMG was A-ok with me. We needs severe penalties hunting while drunk or stupid though.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Do tell. And why?

I would suggest that in the most heavily-populated counties/regions the regulations should stay the same. This is not unlike portions of Michigan and Wisconsin, which also allow centerfire rifles throughout most of the state, but restrict them in more populated areas. For example, Marian county should not allow the use of centerfire rounds for deer hunting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You have some excellent choices... 180-200gr seems to be the preferred bullet w/ the WSSM.

In the cheap and effective category, I've been using the 200gr Hornady Interlock SP. I'm getting 2525fps from my 22" barrel, but I think there is a powder that will get me to 2600fps.
    Next up, slightly better ballistics, but designed for a slightly lower velocity, the 200gr Hornady FTX. However Hornady gives data for the .356 Winchester, so it'll probably work out fine... I bought a couple hundred of these blems for cheap, so I'm committed for now.
    More expensive... the Barnes 180gr and 200gr bullets and Nosler now has a 200gr Accubond.
    There is also a 225gr Sierra Game King, Nosler AB and Partition. The Noslers are VERY long bullets, though some people still use them - so is the 200gr Barnes TTSX.

I shot the 225gr SGK my first season with the WSSM, very accurate (as are the Hornady bullets) though 2400fps was the top end, and 2380fps was what I settled on.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Less room for powder... I'd go with the 180gr TTSX Barnes in the AR platform over the 200gr TTSX for that reason alone.

Midway has 200gr Interlock SP in stock and Backorder OK for the FTX. Powder Valley also has the INterlock SP in stock.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As far as bullets? The 200gr Hornady SP (Spitzer soft point) Interlock. It's in stock, costs half as much as the Barnes and Noslers, shoots 1/2 MOA in my rifle, is a short bullet so that's good for the AR too.

Top Bottom