• ...and so much more!
  • What do you think about the .357 sig cartridge

• Total voters

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    How do you guys feel about the .357 sig round? I have read tons about it and have seen about 50/50, half who shoot it love it, most others say a high performance 9mm, a useless round, no real purpose. Just wondering. Want to see what you guys think about it.

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    my only .357 sig chambered pistol i own is a glock 31, i reload for it, i love it, i can load 9mm target rounds or some rounds in the 575-600 lb/ft muzzle energy range.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The 357 Sig would have been much more widely accepted if it were marketed with a more meaningful name... I've always thought that "9mm Magnum" would have been more accurate and more meaningful for the public.

glockpatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    I have the Glock 32 also, I enjoy it tremendously. It is the one that I carry the most. :patriot:

God Bless and be Watchful :draw::draw:

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I think the .357 sig is a great round for self defense. I have two sig P 226's in .40/.357. I have both the .40 barrel and the .357 sig barrel so it makes the guns very versatile. .357 sig ammo is pretty reasonable for plinking if bought in bulk. I purchase mine through Precision Cartridge. I have Winchester 125 grain hollowpoints for carry. I think the ability to change between 40 and .357 sig is very handy, because it makes it much easier to find ammo and you can tailor your carry choice to what you are doing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In my limited experience with it (full-sized Glock and a Sig 229 and 239)...

I liked it out of the big Glock, for it was rather easy to manage.

Out of my brother-in-law's Sig pistols... I don't like it so much. Too snappy for my tastes, actually. Especially out of the 239!

The 229 is his issued duty weapon and he can rock that thing like no one's business. He's forced to like it...

Having said that, though, I might very well consider it a platform for myself in the future...depending on what the future holds. :-)

-J-

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    anyone else got anything to chime in? yeah i do agree the name to be a bit misleading,but .355-.356" bullets are almost .357, the almost .357 auto lol

speedweapon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    How do you guys feel about the .357 sig round? I have read tons about it and have seen about 50/50, half who shoot it love it, most others say a high performance 9mm, a useless round, no real purpose. Just wondering. Want to see what you guys think about it.

Raw speed & power at the point of impact. The best.

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    1. It isn't a .357; it's a 9mm, (and the 9mm Magnum already exists).
    2. It reduces mag capacity while offering the same power as the 9x23 Winchester which doesn't reduce capacity.
    3. The 9x25 Dillon takes up the same room in the mag, fits the same pistols and delivers much more power.

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    hot damn never knew about the 9x25 dillion but its very impressive, a .357 sig magnum if you will. Anyone ever shoot a .400 corbon?

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The .400 CorBon is a decent round but, like the .357 SIG vs. the 9x25 Dillon, it pales compared to the very similar (dimension-wise) .40 Super. In it's defense, the .400 CorBon was meant as a drop-in caliber conversion for the 1911 that required no other modifications to the pistol (incl. springs).

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    1. It isn't a .357; it's a 9mm, (and the 9mm Magnum already exists).
    2. It reduces mag capacity while offering the same power as the 9x23 Winchester which doesn't reduce capacity.
    3. The 9x25 Dillon takes up the same room in the mag, fits the same pistols and delivers much more power.

Could you expand on the differences between these cartridges? I'm unfamiliar with all three. Never heard of the 9mm Magnum and the 9x23. Heard of the Dillon, but know nothing about it.

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 9mm Winchester Magnum was originally developed for the Wildey semi-auto pistol, but never became very popular. Imagine shooting a .38 Special +P in a Desert Eagle and you get the idea why. The case is the 9mm lengthened to 1.16" and brass is available from Starline. AMT was the last to produce a firearm chambered for it, the AutoMag III. A 5.45x39 case cut off at the shoulder is a virtual duplicate of the 9mm Win Mag case.
    The 9x23 Winchester is what it says; the 9mm lengthened to 23mm. It is essentially a hi-performance 9mm Largo and can be used in some pistols chambered for .38 Super Auto. (It should never be fired in a pistol chambered for the 9mm Largo.) The Winchester case is heavy duty in the web area compared to the standard 9mm Luger. It is considered by some to be the ultimate semi-auto combat cartridge as it retains the mag capacity of a hi-cap 9mm while having the power of the .357 SIG.(It predates the .357 SIG.) Winchester produces factory ammo.
    The 9x25 Dillon was developed for Rob Leatham by the engineers at Dillon. It is the full-length 10mm case necked down to .35 caliber. The cartridge was designed to optimize the function of the compensated semi-autos and worked too well. Muzzle rise was virtually eliminated, but rearward thrust actually caused physical injury (tendonitis) to competition shooters. (Proof that some muzzle rise is a good thing as it keeps the recoil from being transferred directly into the wrist.)

The 9mm Win Mag and 9x23 Winchester both can launch a 124gr bullet at close to 1500 fps. The 9x25 Dillon can launch that same bullet close to 1700 fps.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Dad, has a .357 sig an an Xd service. I personaly do not think it's worth the extra money in ammo. Yes the .357 sig is a bottlenecked casing, which allows for more powder in the case. So you will have a higher velocity, and more flbs. However hogher velocity=better chance of over penetration. It's just another choice, I'll stick with my .40. My :twocents:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Overpriced compromise round. Lose mag capacity over true 9mm cartridges (9mm, 9x21, 9x21.5, 9x23, 9x25), with the exception of the 9mm Luger you gain nothing ballistically. It is a boutique round, everyone was creating a round they could hang their name on- this was SIG's.

If limited to a 9mm cal. cartridge, mine would be 9x23. My current ones are laser beam accurate and hit with plenty of authority.

The .400 Cor-Bon is an interesting caliber and I have a couple. Very effective on coyotes and even deer at less than 100yds. Silvertips are devastating as are the original 135gr. Cor-Bon loads. I use one as a "tractor/4-wheeler" gun alot.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The 9mm Win Mag and 9x23 Winchester both can launch a 124gr bullet at close to 1500 fps. The 9x25 Dillon can launch that same bullet close to 1700 fps.

Man.... You really know your stuff. I'm highly impressed! :D Thanks for the info. I'd never known all that otherwise!

:rockwoot::patriot::ingo:

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    No personal experience, but I recently read an article in one of the gun magazines that indicated the round is very abusive to handguns, the power and recoil can cause early failures. if you don't shoot high volumes it may not be an issue.

The article indicated that the .38 super was comparable balistically, but easier on the pistol.

Again this is just a summary of the article - no personal experience!

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The .357 SIG is chambered in mid-size autos and at its operating pressures it is rougher on them that the 9mm or .40.

The .38 Super and 9x23 must be chambered in full-sized autos, thereby lessening the abuse by adding size and weight.

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    I voted 357 SIG is great round and have 3 pistols chambered in it.
    A Sig P229 SPORT, P229 ST, Glock 32 2nd generation. fast and extremely accurate, buy in bulk and shop for price and it's not all that out of line with 40 S&W prices. I shoot the 125 gr. Speer Lawman and Gold Dots mostly from Natchez or ammoman.

As already pointed out , it's not the "be all" or "end all" magic bullit ( nothing is ).
    Sig and Federal only wanted to recreate the .357 Mag power in a smaller package that could be fired from a small to medium size frame semi-auto, use the same mags as the .40S&W and with a barrel change shoot either caliber. They came close on the power and judging on the popularity with some LEO's and some of the consumer market, it may not become HUGELY popular, but the round has it's fan's.

Top Bottom