• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Cartridgewise, I'm a proponent of the .357 mag being enough for this application (deer hunting). In other words, it accomplishes the job with the least amount of fuss, costs less, and can be used for plinking and small game with lighter loads.

Yes, the .44 hits harder, but you can decide whether you need that or not.

The trajecory of these two magnums is virtually identical over 100-125 yards, so that shouldn't be a factor.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just purhcased the HR handi-rifle in 44 mag. It has a fair amount of recoil but I would consider it less then my 50 cal muzzleloader. I have shot it out to 150 yards off a bipod so far and was POA from 25 yards all the way out to 150 yards with a 3 shot group within 4 inches. I'm not a great shot either.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got nothing against the 357mag, especially out of a rifle. Personally I really like 44mags though. I've only taken three deer in my life. I'm a rookie by comparison to most people and by many standards. The first two I took were within 100 yards with a 30-06 in wisconsin and neither went down as hard as the one I got last year with a 44mag did. Last year I took a buck at 60 yards with a 240gr hornady XTP-HP out of a Puma 92. The shot was a perfect broadside and the buck was knocked flat on his side. He kicked for a few seconds too long so I gave him another shot to finish things off quicker. That 44 mag in a rifle is one hard hitting deer round.

Another reason I went with the 44mag is that I may end up taking it bear hunting. You can buy factory loaded 320gr hard cast bullets or load them yourself. You can also load the 44mag down quite a bit also with 180gr bullets.

In my opinion I think the 44mag is a more versatile and huntable round than the 357 just because I can use heavy 320gr loads all the way down to 44 special loads. Nothing against the 357mag, but it would definately be my second choice.

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Hello. I am the new guy in this website. I too am interested in the 357 rifle line. I have already convinced myself that is the caliber I want so I have been doing some research the past week for the manufacturer / model that I would be most likely to tell the wife to add to the x-mas list. So far I think I've narrowed it down to the Marlin Cowboy model 357 in the 24" length. I like the Marlin ejection sense it is out the side and the scope mounting options are much easier. The longer barrel should provide more accuracy. Any thoughts?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Marlin in .357 Mag and recommend it over the .44 Mag for most hunting activities. I also have a Marlin in 45-70 for Shxts and Giggles.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I haven't heard much about 357 mag but I hear that a lot of people are happy about hunting with the 44 mag out of both marlins and the ruger 77/44. With the 44 mag you have a lot more knock down power. Plus, like someone else said, with the 44 mag you can also use it for bear and boar hunting. Also, 44 mag recoil is neglible compared with a 12 gauge shotgun. I'd take a look at some rifles in the in 44 mag caliber. Some popular ones are the Marlin 1894 and the Ruger 77/44 (my dear hunting rifle)

Top Bottom