• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    The inner part is the collet and the bottom of that piece is what needs to be shortened the same amount that your cases are shortened, otherwise the case neck won't go in far enough for the collet to squeeze it. For a long time I thought both inner and outer parts needed shortened but I was't doing my home work. I haven't worked on mine yet but I think I'll take the inner part out and have my friend with a lathe shorten it as there isn't much room for error. (Edited to add) Sorry Mike, I didn't know you had posted a reply. You are certainly more qualified to respond than me!

Last edited:

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    H4895

I recently purchased a 336 35 rem for my new deer gun for next season. I am wanting to start working up so loads. I was wondering if anyone has any updates on new loads they have done. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as far as mimicking the Buffalo Bore 220 with the shortened case or would the pressure be too much with the short neck?

I found that 35 gr of H4895 with either the 200 gr Remington round nose or Hornady 180 SSP works great. Midsouth Shooters Supply had factory second Hornady 180 gr SSPs on sale for $92 or so for 500. In a lever gun they say to just load one pointed bullet in the magazine.

This is a relatively light load but it works well.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    You can cut the .120 off the end of your FCD using a mill...

You don't have to have a lathe.

Heck, if you're careful you could probably do it with a large diameter end mill chucked in a drill press.

But, I suppose if you have a mill you probably already know this.

camoivey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the help. I got my dies in the mail today so they will be heading to a family friend to be shortened this weekend. Has anyone used any 180 Speer fn?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wrong bullet for the .35 Rem. In a lever, Remington 200gr JLRN or Hornady 200gr FTX. Single shot the 180gr SSP will work, but it might be a little too much velocity for that bullet. The 180SSP is designed for 10-14" barrels.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm not sure what you meant, Kludge, but he was asking about the Speer 180gr Flat-Nose bullet. It's a pretty good choice in a 35 Remington, although those bullets were shown to be a little on the tough side, in a comparison with many other 35 caliber options.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    OK, gotchya. When you said the wrong bullet, then started discussing the 180gr SSP from Hornady, I thought you were confused which one he was talking about. Turns out I was confused! :D

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    .35-1.8

I guess I differ in opinion. My choice in the .35-1.8 for my Marlin is the Speer 180gr flat nose. The Speer 'Hot Core Flat Points' were made for the slower velocities. Speer states that the 180gr & 220gr Flat Nose Hot Cores were designed for the 35 Rem. And, for deer I am looking for enough penetration to make two holes, one going in and one going out. They recommend the Spitzer and Grand Slams for the higher velocities of the 358 Win & 35 Whelen. And, I believe that the Hornady 180gr SSP can take the velocities of the 35 Rem, as the velocities of the 14" single shot pistols can come very close to the velocities of the 20" Marlins. In fact my project for this coming year is a 35-1.8 in a bolt action, and one of the first loads I will try is the 180 Hornady ssp. Of course I had a rotten deer season this year and did not see a decent sized buck, and did not want to shoot a deer just to test a bullet, so I shot nothing with my 35-1.8. After I actually kill something with the 35-1.8 I just might have to change my mind, but today that is, 'Just My Humble Opinion' .

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    That would be interesting to know, where does Speer state this? (Sorry, I don't have their book - I always pick Sierra over Speer)

Is the flat point safe in a tubular magazine? I was under the impression that it was not.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That would be interesting to know, where does Speer state this? (Sorry, I don't have their book - I always pick Sierra over Speer)

Is the flat point safe in a tubular magazine? I was under the impression that it was not.

Yes, the 180gr Speer is one of the classic bullets used to reload for the 35 Remington. It has what would be called a wide-flat meplat, if it was a cast bullet...perfectly safe in a tubular magazine. It is one of the bullets listed for 35 Remington in Lyman's 49th Edition reloading manual, as well as Speer's.

What the terminal performance testing has shown is that the 180gr Speer is a TOUGH SOB of a bullet that doesn't always expand well, at 35 Remmy velocities. Now, if you put a 35 or even 40 caliber hole (modest expansion) through the rib cage of a deer, with a good exit wound, the matter is resolved. So, the bullet works, but if you want a bullet that consistently expands to 150% of it's original diameter, the 180gr Speer is probably not the right choice. On the other hand, if you were going after hogs and wanted deeper penetration, it just might be perfect.

For Indiana's deer, I'll stick with the 180gr SSP and 200gr FTX or 200gr Core-Lokt RN bullets. All of them expand well at modest speeds.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Cool, then.

What the terminal performance testing has shown is that the 180gr Speer is a TOUGH SOB of a bullet that doesn't always expand well, at 35 Remmy velocities.

Yes, I do remember that from the test. From leverguns.com or something like that.

camoivey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have seen on a few forums on marlinowners.com where guys love the 180 speer for deer when they get it over 2,200 fps. Some have even been getting it into the 2,400 fps range with very good accuracy.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have seen on a few forums on marlinowners.com where guys love the 180 speer for deer when they get it over 2,200 fps. Some have even been getting it into the 2,400 fps range with very good accuracy.

The report I have is from the Marlinowners forum, but it clearly shows the 180gr Speer, even when started out near 2400fps, slows down enough at 100 yards to prevent it from expanding very much. Below is an excerpt from what the author wrote about the 180gr Speer and why I will continue to use the SSP, or the 200gr FTX or Core-Lokt, for hunting deer.

"[FONT=&quot]If you insist on using the bullet (180gr Speer) at the 2000-2100 fps velocities published in some loading manuals, then I would suggest using the Remington 200 Core-Lokt instead, as it is more suitable for lower velocities, opening better than the Speer 180. Where the penetration of the 180 might come into play is on tougher targets like feral hogs or black bear, possibly even timber range shots at elk where its greater penetration might prove useful."[/FONT]

camoivey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What kind of loads are you doing with the 180 SSP and 200 FTX and what velocities and groups have you gotten?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What kind of loads are you doing with the 180 SSP and 200 FTX and what velocities and groups have you gotten?

I'm shooting the 180gr SSP (not from a 35 Remmy) at around 2300fps, using RL10X powder. They group right around 1.5" at 100 yards and have taken 3 deer now, with excellent bullet performance, each time. By that, I mean they hit where aimed, expanded and left a good exit wound. All 3 of the deer have taken just a few steps before expiring. Not a lot of blood shot, either. For impact velocities down to ~1800fps, I think this is the best 35 caliber bullet out there, for deer hunting.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have a rifle chambered in 358GNR. It's a 445 Super Mag case, necked down to shoot 35 caliber bullets. Due to the velocity range I get, the 180gr SSP is perfect, for deer hunting. My opinion, of course. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom