• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    That would depend on what rifle you shoot. Anything shot in a rifle with a tube magazine needs to be crimped to prevent bullet set back from recoil. Standard dies need no trimming to reload the 35 1.8, only the crimp die needs trimmed. I'm a novice but to my knowledge Lee is the only source for the factory crimp die.

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    I use the 200 FTX in my Marlin. Worked great his year. Never did recover a bullet, but exit wounds looked real good. Shooting under an 1" @100 yards,not bad at all for a lever gun. In my opinion.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Well written.

Coming from an outsider, who is used to just using a shotgun, and has very little interest in taking super long shots on deer, being able to buy an older gun, in an established cartridge, has a lot of upside.

Just because, the cost of wildcat stuff really gets nuts after you get it all that it takes.

How about this model 8 sweet ride?

:rockwoot:
    remington_model_8_001.jpg

No FCD for the .35. It's always worked fine without a crimp. I'm sure the auto loading action is much harsher than a kevergun but even with the stubby little SWC's it's had no issues.

Just because I love to show it off here's a couple of pics

Model8.jpg

Model8ammo.jpg

Model8ammoClose.jpg

Doug K

MAN!!! Those model 8's are SWEEEEET! I had a chance to bag one from the store in Garret many years ago (prolly 94-95)...but i thought it was a bit high ($350) for being in the beat up condition....looking back i should have nabbed it up...have not seen one since..until today perusing this entire thread.

I am in the process of finding someone (i trust) to shave the .120" off the FCD and my case length gauge.

Heres a couple shots of my Remys.

The 141
    gun041-1.jpg

Hmmmm guess i will have to get a pic for my records of the 740...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There's a nice Remington 14 on auction arms. Last time I looked it was $350. I think it ends tonight. I'd love to have it but the funds just aren't there right now!

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    My 35rem short update

Finally got to the range after sorting out some scope issues.
    Shot from 50 and 75 yards and am pleased with the groups. Improving my shooting and improving the 336 trigger may help. Top left group is from 50 and bottom group is at 75 and then one adjustment for the last shot at 75.
    I am using 38gr of leverevolution, case at 1.79, and the 200gr FTX.

2013-02-08_10-47-36_4.jpg

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    Thanks for sharing. Those are impressive groups, should be more than accurate enough come next season.

I just picked up a Model 8 from a fellow INGO member, so I plan on loading up some of the 35 REM short over the summer.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Any idea on the velocity, nkhrfh? With a group like that, and the 200gr FTX, the speed almost doesn't matter. :D

Last edited:

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    My best guess just from doing some calculations is around 1900fps. Hopefully borrow a chrono some time in spring and report back. Don't think I am going change the load as it works for this gun.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    At 1900fps, to maximize your MPBR set your sights to shoot 3" high at 100 yards. Then you'll be dead on at ~158 yards and 3" low at ~185 yards.

dawcrw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    DNR email

:rockwoot:I emailed the Law Enforcement division of the DNR asking specifically about using a shortened case .35 remington for deer out of a rifle. The response was,

" the case length must be between 1.16" and 1.8" and be at least .35" in diameter, if your ammunition match those standards it is legal."

time to reload some rounds!:ar15:

David, the case length must be between 1.16" and 1.8" and be at least .35" in diameter, if you ammunition match those standards it is legal.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:19 PM
    To: DNR LAW
    Subject: [website inquiry]

Who would you like to contact?
    To:
    Your email address: dawcrw@frontier.com
    Your name:David Wilson
    Your question:
    Is the .35 Rem with case shortened to less than 1.8" legal for deer ina rifle?

Last edited:

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    :rockwoot:I emailed the Law Enforcement division of the DNR asking specifically about using a shortened case .35 remington for deer out of a rifle. The response was,

" the case length must be between 1.16" and 1.8" and be at least .35" in diameter, if your ammunition match those standards it is legal."

time to reload some rounds!:ar15:

Any chance you could scan or take a picture of that letter and share it?

Great first post and :welcome: to INGO

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yep, that's what their stance has been from the very beginning, on the PCR cartridges. It's what makes all of the various wildcats legal options and what makes the shortened 35 Remington the easiest and least expensive way to shoot a "normal" rifle for deer in Indiana.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Search, it's been posted before. In a nutshell, push collet out the bottom, remove material, reinsert collet.

Top Bottom