• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Great old gun, SlowHand! Congratulations on putting that Model 8 to work on Indiana deer. Just think of the historical significance: You've got a cartridge that is 100 years old, fired from an action that was designed by John Browning, a rifle that was made before modern deer hunting even began in Indiana. Now, more than 50 years later, you put all of that history to use, with great effect, on a couple of nice-sized Indiana whitetails. How cool is that?! :)

The 35 Remington has been a very good deer cartridge for over a century and I love seeing it being used here in Hoosier-land. It not only meets the legal guidelines but, I also feel it adheres to the spirit of the PCR regulations. Whether fired from a single-shot, bolt-action, semi-auto or lever-gun, it has the stuff to get the job done. Indiana would have been wise to include this cartridge in the list of acceptable options, as an exception to the 1.800" limit.

I use most of my hunting guns as single-shots, even if they are repeaters. I hunted up in Michigan last weekend with my Model 70 and only had one in the chamber, one in the magazine. I can't begin to think of how this would limit a deer hunter, if that is how he loaded his lever-action. I mean, if you can't make the 1st OR 2nd shot pay off, the third one is not going to help you much at all! :D

If you really want to load up the tube on your lever-action, the 200gr FTX bullets will do the job, but two of the 180gr SSP's are just fine, if that's the way you want to go. :)

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    35 Remington "Short" Performance

26632549_gHxB7w

Last edited:

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I loaded a box of 35s and am waiting to get my crimp die shortened. I've about decided to pull the bullets and seat them a little longer. Right now they're seated right at the bottom of the cannelure and I think that might cause problems when I do get them crimped. Plus the longer COL should aid accuracy a little and also help feeding. I've been busy hunting and my wife killed a nice little 8 point yesterday and we had to work on butchering him. I haven't had a lot of time to work on reloading.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Shot a little buck with mine this past Saturday.

It was only a 40 yard shot and my shotgun would have worked just as well, or better. But I enjoyed potting a deer with my own hand loads and the lever action rifle is far more pleasant to carry in the woods.

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    I shot my deer with this cartridge using Remington 200 gr RNCL and let numerous relatives try it out. Six Smackdowns DRT and one double lung chest shot walked 30 yds or so. Sweetness!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Lots of Hoosier deer falling to a great old cartridge and no bruised shoulders or rattled brains from slug guns! :D

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    35 Remington Magic

I have been passing along the 35 Rem Marlin to my nephews. So far this year it has harvested 6 deer. We are very happy with this cartridge.

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    Shot three myself this year. best Indiana cartridge as far as I am conserned. 3/4" groups at 100 yards and plenty of knock down. I still want to pettern it at 150 yards, just haven't had time.:rockwoot:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    :rockwoot:INGO FOOKIN' ROCKS!!!!!:rockwoot:

I need to tag this thread and peruse the entire thing at my leisure.

Heres the tale....

I have 2 .35 Rems. One is my dearly departed dads. ( Remington Gamemaster 760 box fed pump action) The other is my dearly departed Grandpas. (Remington Gamemaster model 141 tube fed, 3 digit serial number in pristine condition :):)

Both of these guns, in their day, have taken a literal ton of whitetails from the deep dark forests of the UP.

Well these guns have been passed down to me and i sorely want to blood them myself before they are handed down to my sons. Problem being they are center fire and its very cost prohibitive to go up and hunt my property in the UP where these center fires are legal.

If i can trim down the cases and load special IN legal .35 cartridges for these guns and dump a deer here it would be TOOOoooo AWESOME!!!!

Thanks sooo much for the idea!!! AND i have almost an entire year to work up some loads for the guns....

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

Heres the tale....

I have 2 .35 Rems. One is my dearly departed dads. ( Remington Gamemaster 760 box fed pump action) The other is my dearly departed Grandpas. (Remington Gamemaster model 141 tube fed, 3 digit serial number in pristine condition :):)

Both of these guns, in their day, have taken a literal ton of whitetails from the deep dark forests of the UP.

Well these guns have been passed down to me and i sorely want to blood them myself before they are handed down to my sons. Problem being they are center fire and its very cost prohibitive to go up and hunt my property in the UP where these center fires are legal.

If i can trim down the cases and load special IN legal .35 cartridges for these guns and dump a deer here it would be TOOOoooo AWESOME!!!!

Thanks sooo much for the idea!!! AND i have almost an entire year to work up some loads for the guns....

I love a man with enthusiasm! :)

The good thing is, you don't really need to "work up some loads"...you can use just about any standard load recipe, to the letter, you just wind up with more of the bullet sticking out of the case. You could literally take factory ammo, pull the bullets, trim/chamfer/deburr, put the powder back in and seat the bullets back to the same OAL.

It's a beautiful thing, huh? :patriot:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    More beautiful than the snow capped rockies...more beautiful than a good stretch of trout stream, more beautiful than....well, i better stop there lest i risk the ban hammer being applied to muh nogin.

I just cant let the wifey know...if she catches wind of this, there goes my excuse to buy that Henry Big Boy in 44 mag.

:patriot::ingo:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you don't want to mess with loading, BK Bullet Casting in Peru does short 35's.
    Cheaper second go around, since he won't have to trim your cases again.
    Dunno what he's charging now, but Bob's a good dude. He made me some a while back (I supplied the brass). I asked for some zippy stuff and IMHO his loads are a little hotter than factory. 200gr RN is what mine are loaded with. Out of my TC Contender carbine I'm at or just under 1" at 100 for 4 shots (Scope at 7X off bipods).

(765) 473-7801

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN

Heres the tale....

Man o man, am I jealous!! The 141 is a rifle that I've lusted after for many years. Thirteen years ago after I had just lost my job of 29 years, my son and I went to gun show and low and behold there was an absolutely mint 141 in 35. The rifle didn't have a scratch it was the same as new. Sadly I had to pass because of my jobless condition. I've been looking ever since for another one like it.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    If you don't want to mess with loading, BK Bullet Casting in Peru does short 35's.
    Cheaper second go around, since he won't have to trim your cases again.
    Dunno what he's charging now, but Bob's a good dude. He made me some a while back (I supplied the brass). I asked for some zippy stuff and IMHO his loads are a little hotter than factory. 200gr RN is what mine are loaded with. Out of my TC Contender carbine I'm at or just under 1" at 100 for 4 shots (Scope at 7X off bipods).

(765) 473-7801

Thanks for the heads up. But i think i will take this task upon myself in my alchemy lab. I love the Rem. 200 gr core loct RN...these two guns digest 'em really well.

1" @ 100 is nothing to sneeze at...that will dump a deer EVERY time.

Man o man, am I jealous!! The 141 is a rifle that I've lusted after for many years. Thirteen years ago after I had just lost my job of 29 years, my son and I went to gun show and low and behold there was an absolutely mint 141 in 35. The rifle didn't have a scratch it was the same as new. Sadly I had to pass because of my jobless condition. I've been looking ever since for another one like it.

I have seen two besides gramps in all my years of shopping guns. One at Tomlinsons in Busco a few years back. Good shape, decent price but HIGH serial #. Saw another at a gun show a few years back, pretty beat up (as one would expect being a true meat and taters whitetail gun), high serial number and they wanted stupid money for it.

This 141 is THE #1 reason i went out and bought a good fire safe....i aint got much, but everything in this house (besides my wife and kids of course) is replaceable except our pictures and my grampas and dads guns.

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    Thanks for the heads up. But i think i will take this task upon myself in my alchemy lab. I love the Rem. 200 gr core loct RN...these two guns digest 'em really well.

1" @ 100 is nothing to sneeze at...that will dump a deer EVERY time.

I have seen two besides gramps in all my years of shopping guns. One at Tomlinsons in Busco a few years back. Good shape, decent price but HIGH serial #. Saw another at a gun show a few years back, pretty beat up (as one would expect being a true meat and taters whitetail gun), high serial number and they wanted stupid money for it.

This 141 is THE #1 reason i went out and bought a good fire safe....i aint got much, but everything in this house (besides my wife and kids of course) is replaceable except our pictures and my grampas and dads guns.

FMJ you might try Hornady 200 GR. FTX Leverevolution bullets. They shot well under an 1" @ 100 yrds. in my Marlin. If you want the load just let me know and I will look it up for you. The one thing I did was use a Lee factory crimp die because of the tubular magazine and a more consistant load with the short brass. The only thing is you have to cut the die down to crimp the shorter brass. :rockwoot:

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I am going to try the FTX with a starting load of 37.3gr of lever evolution out of my 336. What recipe are you using coyootehunter4?

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    I am going to try the FTX with a starting load of 37.3gr of lever evolution out of my 336. What recipe are you using coyootehunter4?

nkhrfh
    I am loading Hornady 200 Gr. FTX, CCI 200 primers, IMR 4064 36.0 Gr., case lenght of 1.800, and a COL. of 2.525 with a Lee factory crimp. Great accuracy out of my Marlin 336C.:twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    nkhrfh
    I am loading Hornady 200 Gr. FTX, CCI 200 primers, IMR 4064 36.0 Gr., case lenght of 1.800, and a COL. of 2.525 with a Lee factory crimp. Great accuracy out of my Marlin 336C.:twocents:

CH,

Have you run those through a chronograph, by any chance? The reason I ask is that QL is showing you're leaving a fair bit of velocity on the table, versus a slightly faster-burning powder, like RL10X or H322. Something along the lines of 200fps. less than the ~2200 you could get with a faster powder. :twocents:

The 4064 load is definitely safe and if the accuracy is great, that is what matter the most, obviously. Still, if you could get the same solid groups with a substantial increase in speed, that would be pretty cool, as well. Consider running some test loads with a MAX charge of 33.5gr RL10X, or a MAX charge of 36gr H322. Back both of those off 10% for starting loads.

Last edited:

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    FMJ you might try Hornady 200 GR. FTX Leverevolution bullets. They shot well under an 1" @ 100 yrds. in my Marlin. If you want the load just let me know and I will look it up for you. The one thing I did was use a Lee factory crimp die because of the tubular magazine and a more consistant load with the short brass. The only thing is you have to cut the die down to crimp the shorter brass. :rockwoot:

I use Lee dies and have the FCD that i use on my normal loads...what do you mean by "Cut the die down"?

Thanks for the load suggestion...right now i am loading with IMR 4895. At the moment i am loading Hornady 200 gr RN XTP's (because i found a box on the cheap thats what i have on hand)...but not the leverlutions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom