35.7% of all children born to single mother(average,as high as 51%in some areas)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I believe abortion should be against the law and all those who perform or obtain them should be in jail. I believe sex education in schools and contraception programs should be banned. When Bobby Sue can't have that abortion and goes to collect welfare and food stamps, I'll call her a welfare whore. When her little Johnny is hungry, I'll say tough ****, he can starve but I will work hard to make sure he has access to cheap 22 ammo to shoot. I'm a conservative.

Sounds like there is a large gap between your utopia and the real world you live in.

I realize that the world is never going to live up to my expectations , the best I can hope for is damage control.

One form of that is free contraception for all who will use it , so I don't have to pay for their unwanted urchins

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like there is a large gap between your utopia and the real world you live in.

I realize that the world is never going to live up to my expectations , the best I can hope for is damage control.

One form of that is free contraception for all who will use it , so I don't have to pay for their unwanted urchins

If they still don't use it, then what? No welfare to help them to raise their kids?

Good luck with that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Apparently you didn't get my sarcasm. Unfortunately my post seems to fit several conservatives.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Does it really matter how affordable condoms are?
    I would rather the government spend money on condoms instead of abortions and child care.

Do we really need to do any math to know which is cheaper?

I'd rather the guberment stop spending on condoms and sex ed and start spending on sterilizations .

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Horn , search my posts man , I'm all for the guberment boot on the throats of societal degenerates .

After all , eugenics in America started right here in Indy and in keeping with obummers death panels it seems befitting that it make a resurgence .

You would have fit well in 1930's Germany.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Per wikipedia it takes $389,670 to raise a child to age 18 .
    In contrast at condoms.com, one can buy a 48 pack of condoms for 33.09, i will do the math.
    It's 69 cents per condom, and your $389,670 will buy you 564,740 condoms
    I am not normaly a gambling man but, I am willing to bet more than half a million condoms will stop more than one unwanted pregnancy.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This is the cause of so much of our society's ills. The children are more likely to use drugs, be dependent on the government, be in gangs, be violent offenders.... Of course our society in a perverse way seems to celebrate this breakdown of the family structure.

Actually, I'd say this is a symptom of government ills.

You get what you pay for. Government pays for children born out of wedlock and we continue to get more of them.

Once they are born out of wedlock, the stuff you mention does tend to follow, but we need to be sure to acknowledge the "root" (the gov's policies, the progressives in gov who promulgate them, the progressives who elect them, those who don't throw them out, etc.)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Actually, I'd say this is a symptom of government ills.

You get what you pay for. Government pays for children born out of wedlock and we continue to get more of them.

Once they are born out of wedlock, the stuff you mention does tend to follow, but we need to be sure to acknowledge the "root" (the gov's policies, the progressives in gov who promulgate them, the progressives who elect them, those who don't throw them out, etc.)

It is a bit of a chicken/egg problem isn't it? While the govt's currently policies certainly enable and encourage this sort of behavior, I think the root lies much deeper and at a much more basic level.

Children, and even adults, intrinsically recognize the need for some level of authority within any sort of society. At its most basic level, that authority is the parents who set the stage and tone for what a child believes authority should be and what they expect. They learn what it is to be a father from their father, a mother from their mother.

They will seek rulers and a government which align with what they learned in their formative years from their parents.

When you make it normal to remove a parent without any grave reason, much less teach them that one is superfluous, unnecessary, or "bad", you set them up to seek out two things:

1. Some other form of authority to fill that void.
    2. To create authority along the model them have been taught.

We have the nanny government we have today because generation(s) have been taught that it is not their responsibility to care for themselves and their families, but rather the govt's.

We created what he have today through an unwillingness to discipline ourselves and by teaching our children the same.

Outside of invasion, tyrannical government is really nothing more than the ripened fruit of a people who lack the will and discipline to govern themselves.

The evils we are talking about are not from the government, they are from the people. The nanny government is just another symptom, not the cause.

-As a society, we have given up on even trying to teach our sons self-control in the sexual sphere.

-We verge on doing the same for our daughters.

-We accept, nay teach them, that pleasure is the first principle and have sold them the poisoned apple of "consequence free sex" through rubber.

-We have made "father" all but a bad word because to accept what it truly is to be a father, you have to reject the above. Instead, we glorify the self-sacrificing "single mother" as if fathers are superfluous or even evil.

-We glorify every sort of "alternative" to the natural family and teach our children the same.

Any society that glorifies these things will receive exactly the government it deserves; you can look at our bloated, welfare based, laziness encouraging, personal responsibility free "Republic" as a prime example.

The family truly is the basic building block of society. Tampering with it has never worked out well whether it be the state-as-family model which has plagued history or our current no-model-at-all scenario.

Best regards,

Joe

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Per wikipedia it takes $389,670 to raise a child to age 18 .
    In contrast at condoms.com, one can buy a 48 pack of condoms for 33.09, i will do the math.
    It's 69 cents per condom, and your $389,670 will buy you 564,740 condoms
    I am not normaly a gambling man but, I am willing to bet more than half a million condoms will stop more than one unwanted pregnancy.

Can't argue with that!

However... what happens if a child doesn't use condoms and gets pregnant but doesn't want it?

Condoms have existed for quite some time and are READILY AVAILABLE NOW. And while making them more available will cut down on some pregnancy rates... I'm willing to bet that the majority of the pregnancies aborted weren't a result of lack of available contraceptives. It was lack of responsibility....

So... now that you have pointed out that its upwards of $350k to raise a child to 18 years old and considering there are 1.5 million abortions in the US every year.... How do you propose we pay for all the children that would have otherwise been aborted if we abolish the act? Keep in mind that the majority of aborted children would have likely been born on the government teet and remained on it throughout their entire lives!

I think Condoms and birth control are a positive way to reduce the number of abortions... but I don't think it is going to completely counterbalance the cost.

I want to hear more solutions....

Last edited:

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Does it really matter how affordable condoms are?
    I would rather the government spend money on condoms instead of abortions and child care.

Do we really need to do any math to know which is cheaper?

Medicaid also covers tubes being tied. I would think there are many areas that might need to look into that. 10 kids when the person has been on the public dough since the first time is a disgrace.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I believe abortion should be against the law and all those who perform or obtain them should be in jail. I believe sex education in schools and contraception programs should be banned. When Bobby Sue can't have that abortion and goes to collect welfare and food stamps, I'll call her a welfare whore. When her little Johnny is hungry, I'll say tough ****, he can starve but I will work hard to make sure he has access to cheap 22 ammo to shoot. I'm a conservative.

If they cant feed them don't breed them

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How many families are broken up by moronic laws that punish non-violent, victimless crimes? There are people routinely getting 5-15 years in prison for marijuana & drug charges. Reforming our insane laws would be one good step in the right direction.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    How many families are broken up by moronic laws that punish non-violent, victimless crimes? There are people routinely getting 5-15 years in prison for marijuana & drug charges. Reforming our insane laws would be one good step in the right direction.

Statements like this are why I can't take libertarians/anarchists seriously anymore.

Apparently you're unaware of the neglect and abuse children suffer at the hands of their drug using parents.

If people want to ruin their lives with drugs, I won't stand in their way. Just don't ask me to pay for their welfare, and don't ask me to look the other way when their defenseless children are neglected and abused.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I dislike the wording of this post labeling the problem as 'single mothers'. Why do we single them out for being the responsible one of the two creators of that life? It is the absent fathers that are the real problem here.

I married a woman that was a single mother because her previous husband decided he'd rather be single and play the game, hang out in bars, etc. She did everything possible to keep a nice home for them, feed her children, etc. All while the state did NOTHING about his refusal to pay child support. She once confided in me that she occasionally went to bed hungry because she had to make a decision between feeding herself or her children. The problem here is the men that walk out on their children. Not the women that stay behind and raise the children to their best ability.

I don't believe guys should be off the hook, but the bigger issue is the number of idiotic women out there allowing themselves to get knocked up by these deadbeats. If they're not smart enough to force these losers to use condoms, then they need to be using one of the many methods of birth control available rather than nothing at all.

Top Bottom