• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can only comment on the 308's I've owned. I had a DPMS 308B that was 100% factory stock. I swapped out the trigger with a timney drop in and the rifle shot consistantly under 1/2" at 100 yards. I was able to hit targets out to 800 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger and the rifle simply amazed me. $$ got tight and I sold it.

A year or so later fully recovered I wanted to replace by beloved DPMS 308B with the same same but with some slight differences. I got the 308B again, but this time with a 6 position stock, and the A3 upper. I put in a Rock River two stage and again the rifle was a 1/2" shooter. This rifle I had more time with and did get a few lucky shots on with at 1,000 yards, but this rifle also had a tighter chamber and I had to oil the heck out of the thing to keep it running smooth for the first 200 rounds. Unfortunately my wife does this thing with a credit card that makes me have to sell my semi auto 308's, or this one certainly would have been a keeper also, but it had to go.

Both rifles were tested with 168gr federal GMM and black hills which were around 1/2" at 100, but my handloads got me just under 1/2" and I was more than happy with that. For what a DPMS 308B costs, I've been very happy with them, but they are heavy and not something you're going to enjoy lugging around.

I'm interested in what you all think about the semi 308's, and I've always told myself that if I bought another it'd probably be an LMT 308. I think that's what the Brit's are now using overseas unless I'm mistaken.

**Edit to add, I'm waiting to see how the new CMMG 308's turn out. For not much more money than a DPMS I think they could bring more consistant quality to the table. If the quality and accuracy are there I may have to consider one of those some day.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    FNAR lacks Iron sights. So it's out in my book.
    They mislead you, it's not based on the M1918 but the Browning semi auto hunting rifle. It's really a black painted hunting rifle....

Really you have the M14/M1A and...... everything else. The FAL people will whine and say that they should be up there but they are not at the level of the M14. The G3 clones have some odd quirks, The Ar10 clones are heavy but do have the acuracy. The Galil is not bad but pricey. The BM59 Italian rfiles are the only thing that compares to the M14, and thats because it's based off the M1 like the M14 is. However do to STUPID import restrictions the Bm59 types are HARD to find. Preban are rare and only a few made with SAI receivers are otherwise to be found.

Now if you want to step over to the other side of the fence... Bradis guns has a Romanian made SVD Dragunov for 7 and change. It comes with a Scope and bipod attached. But it's kinda heavy. It uses the stupid cheap 7.62x54r mosin ammo...

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have the Armalite AR10-4 and far and away my favorite semi-auto rifle.
    Dependable, accurate, and smoooooth. Fast follow up shots on target, very controllable rifle.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Hi guys, after purchasing a ar-15, 2 pistols, and a shotgun, I want to reach out and touch someone now. Ive looked at m-1A's and m-14's, but ive also looked at ar-10's, ive used an m-14 before, so im a little familiar with them, but having an ar-15 im more leanient to the more familiar shooting platform that im used to. Im not too picky on price, as long as the rifle is worth it, so im open to pretty much any 7.62 long barrel that meets my specifications and i thought id see what some fellow indianers(?) would suggest!

FN AR .308

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Really you have the M14/M1A and...... everything else. The FAL people will whine and say that they should be up there but they are not at the level of the M14. The G3 clones have some odd quirks, The Ar10 clones are heavy but do have the acuracy. The Galil is not bad but pricey. The BM59 Italian rfiles are the only thing that compares to the M14, and thats because it's based off the M1 like the M14 is. However do to STUPID import restrictions the Bm59 types are HARD to find. Preban are rare and only a few made with SAI receivers are otherwise to be found.

Before I bought my first DPMS 308 I did a lot of research trying to figure out what 308 platform I wanted to get. After a lot of reaserch I found that most guys with a standard M1A weren't getting much better than 2" at 100 yards and to get one of the very accurate rifles like the national match M1a's you'd have to spend some pretty serious money. That's what put them off the list for me. If I'm going to spend at or near $1K on a rifle I don't think I'm asking too much for it to be accurate (sub 1" at 100 yards).

Not that M1a's aren't accurate out of the box, it's just that they aren't really meant for that. If the OP isn't really looking for a tack driver then I'd definately steer him towards an M1a scout as that's one of the coolest rifles out there.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Look into Knight's Armament if you really want to reach out and touch someone.

SR-25 when you need the best of the best. (SR = Stoner Rifle and 25= AR-15 + AR-10)

Stay safe,
    Vv

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Look into Knight's Armament if you really want to reach out and touch someone.

SR-25 when you need the best of the best. (SR = Stoner Rifle and 25= AR-15 + AR-10)

Stay safe,
    Vv

These rifles had major reliability issues when fielded in Iraq. For the price I don't know that they give you anything more than a DPMS.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    These rifles had major reliability issues when fielded in Iraq. For the price I don't know that they give you anything more than a DPMS.

That's the same thing I've read about the SR-25 from many reports online. I wish that wasn't the case for our troops sake.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    DPMS

If you're not in the sandbox and not planning on taking your EBR .308 to the sandbox any time soon you'd probably be happy with the DPMS. I like mine pretty well. Next one if I ever get one will be a RRA with a heavy bbl and a 2 stage trigger.:rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're not in the sandbox and not planning on taking your EBR .308 to the sandbox any time soon you'd probably be happy with the DPMS. I like mine pretty well. Next one if I ever get one will be a RRA with a heavy bbl and a 2 stage trigger.:rockwoot:

Double check on that RRA you're thinking about. The mags for it are a little expensive and not the same as your DPMS. You probably already know that, but just in case you didn't.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I'll throw in my :twocents:. I own an LWRC REPR and I'll tell you right now you get what you pay for.
    1) nicor treated barrel inside and out, harder than chrome.
    2) exo coated bolt, carrier, and trigger group.
    3) 4 position gas knob. Normal, adverse,closed,and suppressed.
    4) choice of barrel length 10",14",16",18" 20". Standard and spiral fluted.
    5) three choices of triggers. LWRC enhanced, geissle one stage, or geissle 2 stage.
    6) piston gun. Designed that way from the ground up
    7) great customer service. They will bend over backwards for you.
    8) you can buy a gun off the rack or they will build it any way you want.
    9) left side non reciprocating charging handle.
    10) runs p mags
    Before I bought the REPR I checked out the lmt,and scar 17. Both are really nice guns, the scar 17 does have less perceived recoil but not that much less and is a little lighter, but the scar has It's drawbacks. You can only get a 16" barrel. No other uppers are available. You can get a couple of after market products like a new charging handle, safety selector switch, and a new grip. And don't count on being able to get replacement parts for it for years to come. FN dosen't want to deal with you, if your not military or Leo they don't care.

I also own an FNAR its a good gun but, it has some nasty recoil, mags are hard to come by, is a p.I.a. to field strip, and starts to open It's grouping up after 500 yards.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Another option out there is the AK platform. I recently converted a 308 Saiga for a friend, and it was surprisingly accurate considering its short 16" barrel. The VEPRs are the cream of the Russian crop, and available in many configurations.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Another option out there is the AK platform. I recently converted a 308 Saiga for a friend, and it was surprisingly accurate considering its short 16" barrel. The VEPRs are the cream of the Russian crop, and available in many configurations.

How accurate was it? I've thought about those in the past, but I've never had any luck getting accuracy out of an AK.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Love my M1A. Its a standard, wood stock. It came with a NM front sight. The best part of the Springfields is the lifetime warrenty. If you are thinking of a M1A check out www.m14forums.com anything you want to know about them is on there.

FISTERMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I'll throw in my :twocents:. I own an LWRC REPR and I'll tell you right now you get what you pay for.
    1) nicor treated barrel inside and out, harder than chrome.
    2) exo coated bolt, carrier, and trigger group.
    3) 4 position gas knob. Normal, adverse,closed,and suppressed.
    4) choice of barrel length 10",14",16",18" 20". Standard and spiral fluted.
    5) three choices of triggers. LWRC enhanced, geissle one stage, or geissle 2 stage.
    6) piston gun. Designed that way from the ground up
    7) great customer service. They will bend over backwards for you.
    8) you can buy a gun off the rack or they will build it any way you want.
    9) left side non reciprocating charging handle.
    10) runs p mags
    Before I bought the REPR I checked out the lmt,and scar 17. Both are really nice guns, the scar 17 does have less perceived recoil but not that much less and is a little lighter, but the scar has It's drawbacks. You can only get a 16" barrel. No other uppers are available. You can get a couple of after market products like a new charging handle, safety selector switch, and a new grip. And don't count on being able to get replacement parts for it for years to come. FN dosen't want to deal with you, if your not military or Leo they don't care.

I also own an FNAR its a good gun but, it has some nasty recoil, mags are hard to come by, is a p.I.a. to field strip, and starts to open It's grouping up after 500 yards.
    I own the M6A2 and I love it, thats why im so inclined for the LWRC REPR, I know its more $$ but its top notch in my opinion. Just so everyone knows im torn between an m-14/A1 varient, LWRC REPR 18" Barrel, DPMS RFLR - M12, SR-25. Everyone has given me good intel on the different rifles! Anyone know of a place in central Indiana that has a majority of these rifles that I can test fire?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom