• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If Hostettler is the man I will set this one out. Another one that speaks with forked tongue. And he will not get my or my wifes vote.

Any specifics? It would be helpful for those of us not in his district. Is he your representative now? What don't you like?

I have heard he can be arrogant, but I've not heard him to be a liar. He seems to generally vote for smaller government and is pro-gun.

I've made up my mind. Stutzman gets my vote.
    The one who has the least chance of beating Coats in the primary gets your vote? I must ask why.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Let me add that you are taking way too much stock in the polls at this point. Stutzman is already ahead in the polls over Ellsworth and my gut tells me once he is nominated he will become stronger as people get to know him. The losers of the primary won't even be a memory to potential voters.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hostettler is down in my mom's area, she ran in to him recently and everyone down there loves him.

She said "he carries too".

That's a plus for me ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Second Amendment

John is a staunch defender of our Second Amendment Rights. He is a gun owner and hunter. During his tenure in the United States House of Representatives, John established a record that reflected his desire to stop the federal government from infringing on this crucial liberty. Among other things, John:

- Voted to repeal the Clinton Gun Ban on semi-automatic firearms and magazines

- Led the effort to defund the Smith & Wesson agreement between that manufacturer and the Clinton Administration that would have given preferences to Smith & Wesson after its previous corporate leadership arranged a deal in order to get out of legal proceedings against the gun industry

- Led the effort to allow civilian airline pilots to carry firearms on board after the 9/11 tragedy was perpetrated by terrorists who were able to overpower pilots and fly airplanes into buildings and a rural field

- Sponsored legislation to allow national reciprocity for conceal and carry of firearms

Due to this record, John’s election to the U.S. House of Representatives was consistently endorsed by the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America.

As Indiana’s next senator, John will build on this record of devotion to our fundamental liberties.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So by your logic I should vote for Coats right?

No. And I'm not trying to debate logic or anything else.

I simply wanted to know why you seem to voice such a strong opinion against Hostettler? Is there something the rest of us need to know? Does he have some deep dark secret that, if exposed would ruin him?

Also, to what polls are you referring where he is behind, I'd love to see that one and compare it with others, do you have a link :dunno: I don't oppose Stutzman at all, in fact I'd love to see him as our Senator in Washington. At this point I'm only concerned about 1) beating Coats and then 2) beating Ellisworth. I see that we have 2 excellent and acceptable candidates in Hostettler and Stutzman, but the data I can find shows Hostettler as the more likely candidate to win. If I see contrary evidence then I will shift my vote in the primary. One thing the pro-gun/small government voters cannot do is split their vote. Doing so will simply put big government anti-gun Dan Coats into the Senate.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    No. And I'm not trying to debate logic or anything else.

I simply wanted to know why you seem to voice such a strong opinion against Hostettler? Is there something the rest of us need to know? Does he have some deep dark secret that, if exposed would ruin him?

Also, to what polls are you referring where he is behind, I'd love to see that one and compare it with others, do you have a link :dunno: I don't oppose Stutzman at all, in fact I'd love to see him as our Senator in Washington. At this point I'm only concerned about 1) beating Coats and then 2) beating Ellisworth. I see that we have 2 excellent and acceptable candidates in Hostettler and Stutzman, but the data I can find shows Hostettler as the more likely candidate to win. If I see contrary evidence then I will shift my vote in the primary. One thing the pro-gun/small government voters cannot do is split their vote. Doing so will simply put big government anti-gun Dan Coats into the Senate.

I don't oppose Hostettler at all. I misread your first post thinking Coats had the biggest lead over Ellsworth. Didn't Hostettler get creamed by Ellsworth in 2006? To me it's a coin flip, but I think it's time for a fresh, young, conservative face to be our voice in Washington.

And like I said before, the poll data at this point showing which candidate has a better chance against Ellsworth doesn't mean much. November is a long ways away.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    All I know is that you all better hope Barack Obama comes to Indiana and campaigns for Ellisworth. That is the nail in the coffin for all the dems he backs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here is the very latest polling data comparison from Rasmussen. I used this for 2 reasons. 1) Rasmussen has some of the most accurate polling data in the world. 2) Most other pollsters are not even following Indiana yet or have not done a recent poll. This Rasmussen data was taken within the last week.

Picture9.png

The Daily Kos has also done some polls on this race, dating back to February. At that time they found Hostettler being the strongest candidate against Ellisworth, they also did not bother with Stutzman as his name recognition was too low. I'm curious to see any more recent data on this race. Here is a link to the Kos poll: Daily Kos :: State of the Nation

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    From the Hostettler Campaign email:

Dear Friend,

Yesterday, President Barack Obama - with the enthusiastic support of Senator Evan Bayh and his close friend, Congressman and Senate candidate Brad Ellsworth - signed into law amassive, unconstitutional government takeover of one-sixth of our nation's economy.

This will not stand, and I will fight this injustice with every fiber of my being.

We must repeal this bill.

The only way we can get that done, and fight back against a power hungry Washington, DC, is with your help. If you send me to the United States Senate, I will work tirelessly to rollback the Obama health care takeover.
    Our opponents are well financed, and to fight back I need your financial support.

I need to raise funds for the campaign to ensure that we have the resources to bring you such things as bumper stickers, yard signs, brochures and radio and television ads. As you already know these essential campaign items are expensive and we have little time to ensure that the campaign has the resources to bring these things to you before the May primary.

If all of you could contribute any amount, it will make a profound difference in this election. I'm sure you have seen the headlines that Washington DC's pick to be your U.S. Senator is raising money from his associates in Washington DC, and the DC money well seems to be bottomless for him.

But if taking our country back from these DC insiders is important to you, then please contribute today. Some of you may only be able to donate $10, or $25, and that is great, but many of you may be able to do more, $100? $200? $500?
    By contributing today, you will be taking ownership in our campaign. I am trying hard to make it a campaign of the people, by the people and for the people in order to turn this country in the right direction!

Please click here today and donate online. If the link does not work with your email program you can cut and paste Contribute Hostettler into your computer's browser.

If you would rather send a check, please send it to:
    John Hostettler for Senate
    P.O. Box 148
    Newburgh, IN 47629-0148

Note: If you send a check, please note for FEC compliance purposes, your employer and your occupation in the memo portion of your check If self-employed, please note "self" and your occupation.

Thank you,
    John Hostettler

PS Please forward this message to someone you know that would contribute to our fight for liberty. I need to spread our message of maximum liberty and less intrusive government far and wide. You have already made a difference, let's not lose our momentum.

PPS Checkwww.johnhostettler.comoften to find out when one of my many town hall meetings will be coming to your community.
    [/FONT]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I don't oppose Hostettler at all. I misread your first post thinking Coats had the biggest lead over Ellsworth. Didn't Hostettler get creamed by Ellsworth in 2006? To me it's a coin flip, but I think it's time for a fresh, young, conservative face to be our voice in Washington.

And like I said before, the poll data at this point showing which candidate has a better chance against Ellsworth doesn't mean much. November is a long ways away.

Hostettler definitely lost to Ellsworth... biggest loss ever by an incumbent in recent national history, in fact. But - Ellsworth had the benefit of being a dark horse with unknown stances on a lot of positions, and of being a sheriff, which at the time meant something. Now that we know where he stands, there's not a chance of Ellsworth keeping office in the House, much less actually being elected Senator. Hostettler has the name recognition here to sweep the lower population centers, and if people in Indy can actually peer out of their rectums long enough to look elsewhere and he takes Indy and Fort Wayne, it'll be a landslide in his favor.

He's SOLIDLY conservative, and I honestly wouldn't mind him as President. I'd lay money that he'd do his level best to repeal '34/'68/'86. :cheers:
    I like Stutzman's positions, but he doesn't have the name recognition of a six-term Congressman for the third most populous area in the State.

Not that this should be considered the end-all be-all, but I found nothing on here to be too terribly erroneous:

John Hostettler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Importantly,
    "In January 1996, Hostettler was one of 17 Republicans who voted against a legislation supported by House Speaker Newt Gingrich that ended a federal government shutdown. After the vote, Gingrich canceled plans to visit Evansville for a fund-raising event for Hostettler. Gingrich offered to reschedule, but Hostettler turned him down, saying "I cannot allow my fund raising to be tied in any way to specific votes."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hostettler#cite_note-8

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hostettler#cite_note-11On July 10, 2002, Hostettler introduced House Amendment 523 to House Resolution 4635, which would have removed the 2% cap on the number of pilots who could be deputized as federal flight deck officers and thus permitted to carry firearms to as well as requiring the Transportation Security Administration to train 20% of all pilots who volunteer for the program within six months of enactment and train 80% by the end of the two-year pilot program."

He's solid and I'd rather see him in there than any other Congresscritter in this nation.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Any specifics? It would be helpful for those of us not in his district. Is he your representative now? What don't you like?

I have heard he can be arrogant, but I've not heard him to be a liar. He seems to generally vote for smaller government and is pro-gun.

The one who has the least chance of beating Coats in the primary gets your vote? I must ask why.
    The deal to which I referred to was a private matter before he was elected. Also John Hostettler at one point came out big for term limits when when it didnt pass he came back to run for re-election And then the gun problem at the airport. Now I dont know about you all but I know where my hand guns are at at all times. I may be hijacking this thread just a little. But I believe we dont need somebody that has in the past been there done that. We need fresh blood to go to Washington D.C. which means to me you dont send Coats, Ellsworth, or Hostettler or anyone else that has been a congressman or senator in the past. I have lost a lot of sleep over this nonsense that went on this past sunday. We need someone that is going to stand up for what is right and not what the party wants. These people need to know that we are tired of them throwing our rights down the rat hole. That is just mho. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Top Bottom