• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The dogs were digging under the fence "trying to get at" the deer. Sad, but justified.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    The property owner said he attempted to "run the dogs off with his four wheeler" after discovering them attempting to dig their way into the fenced-in deer, but they would not leave, police said.

"He said, as a last resort, he shot the dogs to protect the lives of the contained deer," according to police.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'd hate it and be pissed if it were my dogs...BUT they were out of their own area....(flipping it around)trying to get at my animals(if it was Dogs trying to dig to get to my dogs)...I'd have thought about shooting them as well. Or brought my dogs in the house(not possible with deer)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Where I grew up, dogs running on property that held any form of livestock were expected to be shot. Indiana has a statute on it (ic 15-20-2) imposing strict liability on the owners of livestock killing dogs and the owner should probably shut up before she gets cited under the IC or local OV for failing to keep her dogs contained (repeatedly).

Plus, anyone who refers to a 3 year old husky as a "puppy" has no credibility with me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Guy's keeping deer fenced, more than likely so he can charge some big city ******* several thousand dollars to come and shoot them while they eat out of the keepers hand? I've already got a problem with the shooter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where I grew up, dogs running on property that held any form of livestock were expected to be shot. Indiana has a statute on it (ic 15-20-2) imposing strict liability on the owners of livestock killing dogs and the owner should probably shut up before she gets cited under the IC or local OV for failing to keep her dogs contained (repeatedly).

Plus, anyone who refers to a 3 year old husky as a "puppy" has no credibility with me.

I have said it many times in these threads. I grew up around farm folks. Once a dog served no purpose or got after the livestock it was put down right away.
    I understand how dogs are considered family. Beyond that these animals apparently did not like staying home and no, a 3 year old Husky is no puppy by any measure.

Now that said, I hope this thread does not go off the emotional rails.
    Most of these do. This one will not. OK.........Seriously.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Guy's keeping deer fenced, more than likely so he can charge some big city ******* several thousand dollars to come and shoot them while they eat out of the keepers hand? I've already got a problem with the shooter.
    So what. That's not illegal if he does it the right way. If that's what he does at all. I have no idea.
    I have a problem with other people being nosey and trying to dictate to others what they can do on their own property. The government or a individual.

Good shoot!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would be very upset as well if they were my dogs but I would be upset at myself. The dogs were doing what dogs do, the person who shot them had every right and the dog owner failed to look after the safety of their animals. There is no other way to look at it as a logical person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...

1. Keeping the deer is perfectly legal under the circumstances at hand. While I have a personal distaste for canned hunts, that is not necessarily the business the man is in, as some people raise deer in a similar fashion to what we would consider 'regular' domestic livestock. I also feel compelled to say that there are plenty of people who find our ownership of firearms as distasteful as some find canned hunts. How would we feel if it were suggested that we should not be entitled to defend our property, expect law enforcement to return our stolen guns, or should be required to passively allow criminals to steal them right before our eyes? The bottom line is that I am not going to disparage the property owner for engaging in a perfectly legal use of his property, land and livestock alike.

2. Perceiving the dogs as a threat and treating them as such. First and foremost, this man offered more restraint that you are likely to see from me in the event of any animal, wild or domestic, threatening my alpacas. Those dogs are large enough to represent a threat to the deer. Has they been Yorkies, I might consider the response excessive, but not with Huskies. Significant is that dogs which had dug their way to freedom from one fence were similarly trying to breach another fence for access to the deer. Contrary to the stupidity in the Facepalm comments, the highly emphasized 7 foot height of the fence is irrelevant to a dog digging UNDER it. It just goes to show how impossibly stupid your average denizen of Facepalm can be.

When it is all said and done, I can sympathize with the dog owner for an unpleasant loss, but on the other hand, I cannot reasonably expect the owner of very expensive animals properly contained on his own property to allow someone else's dogs to make chew toys out of his herd for fear of disturbing the delicate sensibilities of the dogs' owner.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There's someone two miles from me who raises deer. No idea what they do with them but I think it's cool.

if I were the shooter I would have iPhone footage of the dogs digging and three carcasses inside the fence next to a completed hole.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would be very upset as well if they were my dogs but I would be upset at myself. The dogs were doing what dogs do, the person who shot them had every right and the dog owner failed to look after the safety of their animals. There is no other way to look at it as a logical person.
    I get the impression that the owner running to the prosecutor is desperately trying to avoid the reality that she repeatedly failed to contain the dogs and it led to them dying.

I recently got called by a friend who needed help to put down/butcher/packa number of lambs, sheep,and turkeys which had been torn up by two huskies which got through his fences and mauled thousands of dollars in livestock. I wasn't able to help him this time, but I've seen/euthanized enough livestock run by dogs that my sympathy level for this lady is not what it might be.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My favorite comments are the ones saying the shooter should have fired his gun up in the air. You know because bullets don't travel far and come back down.

Top Bottom