• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It does suck, but it's not the end of the world. Let's say the average person drives 1,000 miles per month, and gets 25 mpg. If gas jumps from $3.29 per gallon to $3.99, we're only talking an extra $28 per month. Sure, I could buy a couple boxes of ammo with that, but it's not like I'm going to sell my truck over it. Smoke one less pack of cigarettes a week, eat lunch at McDonald's one less time per week, get one less starbucks coffee once or twice a week, etc. There are lots of ways to save a few bucks a week rather than losing your mind and buying a horse and buggy.

Last edited:

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Folks are going to have to come to grips that gas prices aren't going to go down. There is way too much unknown when it comes to oil:
    -Is there really another Saudia Arabia of oil in the China Sea?
    -Is there really a peak oil issue with all the possible finds yet to be located?
    -Is oil and other commodities going up in price because: Devaluation of the USD, a weak Euro, demand, costly exploration for new supplies,...whatever else?
    -Will this country shift radically left in terms of oil, where the people demand nationalization of oil/gas due to the $500,000,000.00 retirement packages one oil company gave away?

I've seen the writing on the wall and have changed my lifestyle accordingly. I would love to have a truck but there is no way I could justify the cost of a truck as a daily driver. There is no way to even justify the cost of a cheap used beater either. It would be cheaper for me to rent a trunk the few times I may need one, or actually just pay $40-$60 to have things like furniture, appliances, wood, etc.. I know so many people who drive full size SUVs and heavy duty trucks and use them daily drivers. They don't haul anything, they don't need the 4x4 for months of snow or mountain driving. Others may own boats or SUVs, but again I would have to wonder if over all, it would be cheaper to rent a truck to tow your boat/jet skis/fifth wheel? Guess it would depend on how many weekends you haul/tow stuff.

So I'll likely never have a truck. I just can't justify spending that much each week at the pump. It would be much cheaper to pay for delivery and order firewood for winter heating. So I'm driving my 4-cyl. 2004 Chevy sedan into the ground. It is paid off, gets good, but not great (for a 4-cyl.) gas mileage. It should last for hopefully another three years. Wife has a 4-cyl. Nissan, excellent gas mileage.

Better protection in car accidents. If you have not been exposed to the medcal system, you are in for a real treat

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    there really is no valid reason for the high cost of gas. i lived in eastern montana about 8 miles from the north dakota border. i lived in montana, and worked and shopped in north dakota. when i left out there almost 3 years ago they were gearing up for a big oil boom, there is more oil there in the Bakken oil shelf than we can use in our life time. they have put in hundreds of wells and putting in hundreds more. the guys working the rigs are making huge amounts of money. my brother in law has a 2 bedroom trailer house he bought as a rental and had guys offering him 2500 a month for rent. 3-4 bedroom houses are renting for anywhere from 3k-5k a month in rent.

i lived and worked around oil for ten years and its a racket! there are underhanded bribes and deals made that drive the cost up. all a rig boss or some higher up has to do is mention they would think a certain thing is neat to a supplier and they will have it in days. i've seen it even done with a $400 fishing pole.

if any of you need work i would suggest you check out Williston North Dakota. you can make a fortune if you can find a place to live

jake

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Energy Secretary Steven Chu famously told The Wall Street Journal in 2008, 'Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.'

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Energy Secretary Steven Chu famously told The Wall Street Journal in 2008, 'Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.'

i saw obama before the election doing an interview stating "that he could make a case for $10 dollar a gallon gas" basically it was so we would be forced to change, even tho we dont need to

jake

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It does suck, but it's not the end of the world. Let's say the average person drives 1,000 miles per month, and gets 25 mpg. If gas jumps from $3.29 per gallon to $3.99, we're only talking an extra $28 per month. Sure, I could buy a couple boxes of ammo with that, but it's not like I'm going to sell my truck over it. Smoke one less pack of cigarettes a week, eat lunch at McDonald's one less time per week, get one less starbucks coffee once or twice a week, etc. There are lots of ways to save a few bucks a week rather than losing your mind and buying a horse and buggy.

QFT - not giving up my smokes though, just have to work a little extra on Saturday.:D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You do realize that the government makes more in taxes on a gallon of gas than the oil companies make in profit. Typical profit margin for the oil companies is 10%. 10% profit is not greedy or exorbitant. If the cost of raw materials go up, and the profit margin remains the same, more total dollars are made, but the percentage is the same.

Yep, the folks in government criticize ¨Big Oil¨ for making Billions all the while the government makes more off of gas and oil than ¨Big Oil¨ does

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Thanks to Obama(against Keystone,gulf oil,or any exploration that would help bring the price down)-the economy will head into another downward spiral. I can only hope and pray this country can survive until we have enough time to vote the bum out!:twocents:

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    on the plus side I'm going to be buying a big 12 passenger van this year so maybe their prices will go down. The wife would be driving it (under 200 miles a month). I still have my 89 festiva which gets killer mileage. Those of us that still have jobs must get there. I drove 41771 miles to and from work last year. No, I can't move work is in one direction and three months later it will be in a different direction.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The price of gas only went up for Americans.

If any of you have been paying attention the dollar lost A LOT of value this week and it's translating to higher oil prices and thus gas prices.

Blame republicans and democrats EQUALLY for spending the dollar into oblivion. We have a republican majority in the house, they have to vote for them long before obama gets to sign off on them.

Zondfive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    The sheeple stand watch and do nothing

SO, this is not gouging? And where is the Attorney General as this all comes to pass?

Casey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Gas prices always rise in election years and fall about a month before the election, no matter what party is in office.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Seriously, this is stupid and I'm pissed about it. Why do we need to pay 4-6 bucks a gallon? Oh that's right, the hippies environmentalist wants us to stop driving cars....

...******* hippies... *eric cartman's voice*

Top Bottom