• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Why the mad face? When I was in Germany in 2001, gas was around $8/gal. The biggest problem is we have NO mass transit here, therefore, [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] few options.

2012-02-17_15-28-32_631.jpg

2012-02-25_08-39-04_725.jpg

That's why :(

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Why the mad face? When I was in Germany in 2001, gas was around $8/gal. The biggest problem is we have NO mass transit here, therefore, [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] few options.

The Europeans have democratically elected the governments that have added all of the taxes to create those prices. In other words, they've chosen that level of prircing. Unfortunately, the American people have chosen a government that has stated that they want European level pricing. :xmad:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Folks are going to have to come to grips that gas prices aren't going to go down. There is way too much unknown when it comes to oil:
    -Is there really another Saudia Arabia of oil in the China Sea?
    -Is there really a peak oil issue with all the possible finds yet to be located?
    -Is oil and other commodities going up in price because: Devaluation of the USD, a weak Euro, demand, costly exploration for new supplies,...whatever else?
    -Will this country shift radically left in terms of oil, where the people demand nationalization of oil/gas due to the $500,000,000.00 retirement packages one oil company gave away?

I've seen the writing on the wall and have changed my lifestyle accordingly. I would love to have a truck but there is no way I could justify the cost of a truck as a daily driver. There is no way to even justify the cost of a cheap used beater either. It would be cheaper for me to rent a trunk the few times I may need one, or actually just pay $40-$60 to have things like furniture, appliances, wood, etc.. I know so many people who drive full size SUVs and heavy duty trucks and use them daily drivers. They don't haul anything, they don't need the 4x4 for months of snow or mountain driving. Others may own boats or SUVs, but again I would have to wonder if over all, it would be cheaper to rent a truck to tow your boat/jet skis/fifth wheel? Guess it would depend on how many weekends you haul/tow stuff.

So I'll likely never have a truck. I just can't justify spending that much each week at the pump. It would be much cheaper to pay for delivery and order firewood for winter heating. So I'm driving my 4-cyl. 2004 Chevy sedan into the ground. It is paid off, gets good, but not great (for a 4-cyl.) gas mileage. It should last for hopefully another three years. Wife has a 4-cyl. Nissan, excellent gas mileage.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    oil and gas speculators don't take delivery of the products,they only trade in paper.The gas you buy may have a dozen owners before you buy it,everyone making a profit on it.:xmad:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    As a farmer I live and die by what someone else pays for my product. Guess I'm used to it.
    The only thing I can do is try to buy when it's low. I bought off road diesel for $3.12 prior to this last few weeks of price run up. (with 20/20 hindsight guess that's low now!)

Gas is the one thing the masses look at on a daily basis and ya it pisses you off: Gas in the station's ground tank is worth 20¢ more friday afternoon because of__________(fill in BS excuse)

Like Sepe says, #1 export = refined fuel.

The only shortage is of $2.99 gas.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I work for the petrochemical (gasoline and distillate) companies on the other end. It frustrates me to see our product, go into these companies and save them money and fuel and fines from the EPA and they still charge us this much. It's stupid. The profit margins they make are ridiculous.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually, compared to the price of gold, the price of a barrel of oil and a gallon of gasoline are relatively constant.

Gasoline isn't going up as much as the dollar is going down. Needless to say, profits are pretty much the same in actual value, which causes them to shoot up when measured in dollars.

The governments Consumer Price Index includes the cost of houses (which has plummeted) and the cost of travel (who can afford a vacation?) in the calculation. Since spending on these things is down, the government says there is no appreciable inflation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actually, compared to the price of gold, the price of a barrel of oil and a gallon of gasoline are relatively constant.

Gasoline isn't going up as much as the dollar is going down. Needless to say, profits are pretty much the same in actual value, which causes them to shoot up when measured in dollars.

The governments Consumer Price Index includes the cost of houses (which has plummeted) and the cost of travel (who can afford a vacation?) in the calculation. Since spending on these things is down, the government says there is no appreciable inflation.

Inflation is already 8-10% when measured by the old timey method (depending on what source you read). And higher gas prices won't help, unless of course, your goal is to nudge people into changing their behaviors and becoming more dependant on government.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I work for the petrochemical (gasoline and distillate) companies on the other end. It frustrates me to see our product, go into these companies and save them money and fuel and fines from the EPA and they still charge us this much. It's stupid. The profit margins they make are ridiculous.

You do realize that the government makes more in taxes on a gallon of gas than the oil companies make in profit. Typical profit margin for the oil companies is 10%. 10% profit is not greedy or exorbitant. If the cost of raw materials go up, and the profit margin remains the same, more total dollars are made, but the percentage is the same.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Inflation is already 8-10% when measured by the old timey method (depending on what source you read). And higher gas prices won't help, unless of course, your goal is to nudge people into changing their behaviors and becoming more dependant on government.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER!

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    oil and gas speculators don't take delivery of the products,they only trade in paper.The gas you buy may have a dozen owners before you buy it,everyone making a profit on it.:xmad:

I agree. The easiest solution would be for a regulation that requires speculators to take physical delivery of the product they purchase. Then the speculators would go away as they would have to store it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I have been driving my wifes Aveo to school (The Hooter Scooter:D) since it gets around 35 mpg. I think I am going to build a hydrogen system and hook that up in the next few weeks, and see if I can get that up to about 42-44 mpg. I can't even afford to start my truck with these prices.

Man, I just noticed, my 1,000th post and it wasn't as inspiring as I wanted!

Would love the details on this hydrogen system. PM me about it please.

Top Bottom