.22LR WoW....am not believing what I am seeing..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This would all be over much quicker if there were no big box stores sticking with retail prices and instead the prices rose to whatever the current market price is. No one would be hoarding .223 at 75 cents for some Wolf. Relatively quickly competition would push prices down as people would realizes that there is no shortage and not be willing to pay the inflated prices.

Good point..

But logic says that if I can get $50 now and buy back later at $30, then I have made good on an investment right?

Still I will probably not sell any as I never get rid of anything. Plus everyone should not want me to sell for other reasons. My luck is that if I sell for $50 now, it will be $100 when I need it.

It is like when I sell a stock. It immediately goes up after I sell. When I buy silver it drops the next day.

So with that logic if I hold onto it, then ammo will go down and everyone will be happy!:cool:

:patriot:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This thread has got me looking at what I have bought...

American Eagle HV
    Armscor Precision
    Winchester Xpert HV (HP)
    Winchester 333
    Winchester 555
    Winchester SuperX (Special Ed)
    Winchester SuperX
    Winchester Wildcat 22
    Winchester SuperX Short
    Remington Thunderbolt
    Remington 22 Target
    Remington Subsonic
    Remington Golden Bullet Short
    Remington ELEY LTD
    Remington ELEY Target
    Remington Rapid Fire Practice
    Remington Yellow Jacket HP
    Remington 22 Viper
    Remington Golden (HP)
    Federal Lightning
    Federal Value CP
    Federal Champion
    Federal Game Shock
    Federal LR Birdshot
    Federal Spitfire
    Federal Gold Medal HV Match
    Federal Gold Medal Target
    Aguila SuperMax HV
    Aquila Sniper Subsonic
    Aquila Super Colibri
    Aquila Golden Eagle Match
    Aguila Super Extra
    Aquila Interceptor
    Wolf Target Match
    Peters
    Fiocchi Perfromance SunbSonic
    PMC Sidewinder
    PMC Sidewinder
    CCI Stinger
    CCI Mini-Mag
    CCI Blazer 22LR

A good portion at wally world. I always intended to do a ammo write up with the different ammo but I never had the time.

Bad part about this is I will be checking the shelves at Wally World more now...:D

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Its not a joke. i just looked it up. They are just as bad as a common thief. call it free marketing or what ever you want to call it. THAT IS JUST STRICKTLY THEFT.
    i sent them an e-mail telling them that I will never buy anything from them again.

So you were robbed? Someone stole your money? Did you report it to the police?

Last I checked, asking high prices (especially on non-essential items) isn't forcing anyone to buy it. It certainly isn't theft if they didn't forcibly take your money or property.

That isn't really true. When the supply curve remains more or less static as it has and the demand curve shifts, the curves meet at a new point and price increases result. The only way to bring prices down prices are to decrease demand or increase supply. Supply is slowly starting to pick up and demand will dwindle as the chaos subsides.

If he sells his ammo at that price his friend may not be one of those guys standing in line at walmart to get a hold of some .22. That might mean that someone else will get it at retail price and their demand will be removed from the market. If he sells it to a friend at retail, the friend is more likely to use up the ammo quickly and not conserve at which point he may renter the market as a buyer again, thus increasing demand. (I'm not saying you shouldn't sell it at retail for a friend, but it doesn't help solve the current supply issue)

This would all be over much quicker if there were no big box stores sticking with retail prices and instead the prices rose to whatever the current market price is. No one would be hoarding .223 at 75 cents for some Wolf. Relatively quickly competition would push prices down as people would realizes that there is no shortage and not be willing to pay the inflated prices.

Whoa whoa whoa - keep that logic and common sense out of here. Around here we only want to whine about high ammo prices and call people names. :cool:

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Its theft no matter how you surger coat it!!
    Its illigal for gas stations to galge gas prices!!! how is this different?
    ohhh well if people want to see the prices everywhere keep going up. just sit back and let thiefs like alamoammo.com keep screwing people.
    and no i didnt get screwed. i aint stupid enough to sit back and think there isnt anything wrong with what there doing.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    ohhh well if people want to see the prices everywhere keep going up. just sit back and let thiefs like alamoammo.com keep screwing people.
    and no i didnt get screwed. i aint stupid enough to sit back and think there isnt anything wrong with what there doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llApD9ehGHI

If someone has a product they wish to sell to me and I wish to buy, what business is it of yours what price it is? Do you have the moral authority to call on a police officer to shove a gun in my face and say "you are not allowed to voluntarily exchange property"?

Here is a new avatar you might want to consider:
    images

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Wow! That was said perfectly.

That isn't really true. When the supply curve remains more or less static as it has and the demand curve shifts, the curves meet at a new point and price increases result. The only way to bring prices down prices are to decrease demand or increase supply. Supply is slowly starting to pick up and demand will dwindle as the chaos subsides.

If he sells his ammo at that price his friend may not be one of those guys standing in line at walmart to get a hold of some .22. That might mean that someone else will get it at retail price and their demand will be removed from the market. If he sells it to a friend at retail, the friend is more likely to use up the ammo quickly and not conserve at which point he may renter the market as a buyer again, thus increasing demand. (I'm not saying you shouldn't sell it at retail for a friend, but it doesn't help solve the current supply issue)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Just a reminder to all of those using retail outlets as their major supplier for their unlicensed, and non existent business to report these earnings to the IRS. Or do you plan to cheat the government as you are cheating your fellow sportsman? Oh ya, its the underground economy. Well so is the drug business, so that should be fine also, right?

Just a little food for thought.

Call it what you will, gouging, cheating, investing, whatever, its unethical, at least IMO. But then you can rationalize/spin it any way you wish.

BTW, I have not been involved in any name calling!

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Just a reminder to all of those using retail outlets as their major supplier for their unlicensed, and non existent business to report these earnings to the IRS. Or do you plan to cheat the government as you are cheating your fellow sportsman? Oh ya, its the underground economy. Well so is the drug business, so that should be fine also, right?

Cheat the government? You mean the one that caused the panic in the first place. Cheating implies one person failing to hold up their side of a bargain in a consensual contract. There is nothing consensual when it comes to the IRS.

While I certainty wouldn't encourage drug use, yes selling drugs is fine as long as all parties are of age and consent to the transaction. The only reason it is violent is because it is pushed underground, just like liquor was during prohibition. Why should the choice of the majority for getting inebriated be legal (alcohol) but not the minorities choice (most any other drug) not be? Just so we are clear I never use recreational drugs, including alcohol or caffeine, unlike the hypocrites at the DEA.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

If nobody forceably took anything from you, it's not theft.

It's not at all the same as a gas station "price gouging". Ammo is non-essential. It's a luxury. There's no such thing as gouging on non-essential items.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just had to double check my browser address bar again. I could have swore I stumbled onto Democart Underground again.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I think it's starting to come back around. I've been seeing ammo starting to hit (and stay on) the shelves at a few of my LGS. The only thing thats hard to get is 22LR, but I even got 3K rounds of that this morning from Bass Pro for about $.04 a round.

I think it's starting to come back. (I hope).:D

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    New shooters = new demand. In time supply and demand are likely to come back into balance and prices will fall.
    In the meantime, a free exchange is a free exchange, regardless of price. Some people would rather pay high prices than stand in lines and chase around from store to store. Its their business. And sellers selling at high prices help to meet demand. Its called a free market.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have not been buying much ammo in the last year. Before that I was stocking up when I could and getting fair prices etc. I was also loading up on .22LR. I have bricks of the stuff plus many small boxes of specialty ammo.

Federal, Blazer, CCI, Remington to name a few.

Now here is the weird part, a friend who is now in Virginia called and asked if I would be willing to part with a few for $50 pe 500/550 box. I thought he was nuts but brushed it off. Now I read that those bricks are $50-75 a box!!:n00b:

Is this real? Is this a fad (I think it will come back soon)?:dunno:

Well I wanted to get a LCR in .22LR. I figured about $450 for the pistol. That is just 9 boxes of .22 for a trade/sell. Now I am not so sure as maybe I should just hang on to it just in case, I mean that is why I bought it and I was pissed paying $20 per 500. I knew .22LR was the most useful ammo in times of need and that is why I bought so much.

What about 9mm? I paid $10-12 per 50, 45ACP $15 per 50, .223 $4 per 20, .44Mag $34 per 50.

What is really going on here? I have not bought for 6 months at least. What happened? Is this something to do with the 1.5Billion round purchase by HS?
    Really is .22LR hard to get? Why? Does anyone know why?:ingo:

Hey Rip Van Winkle... welcome to the 2013 gun market. :)

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    I think ziggy brought up a good point. I am following the LTCH thread as well, the number of people submitting apps to carry has gone through the roof and I am sure there are plenty more new shooters who are only thinking they need a gun for HD.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    This is the main reason why im goin more toward centerfire and ml. I can reload and cast my amunition and have plenty of options for components

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I think ziggy brought up a good point. I am following the LTCH thread as well, the number of people submitting apps to carry has gone through the roof and I am sure there are plenty more new shooters who are only thinking they need a gun for HD.

And now, with more people applying for LTCH, the wait time is just going up.

Indiana is TIME GOUGING us. It's not fair! :D

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    New shooters = new demand. In time supply and demand are likely to come back into balance and prices will fall.
    In the meantime, a free exchange is a free exchange, regardless of price. Some people would rather pay high prices than stand in lines and chase around from store to store. Its their business. And sellers selling at high prices help to meet demand. Its called a free market.

You must be one buying and selling high? :dunno::popcorn:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Guys, guys, guys, THE BUYERS SET THE PRICE.

If people don't want to for $50 for 22LR, then they shouldn't, and the price would instantly drop. It is only because they do pay it that sellers won't drop their prices. It would be foolish to sell to Mr. X for $30 when Mr. Y will pay $50.

Top Bottom