• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear about your son’s medical issues and hope all turns out ok! I, too, have had multiple low back surgeries over the past few years that have prevented me from going to the range for extended periods of time. It’s terrible.
    This aging process is not for the light hearted.
    Nevertheless, Carpe Diem ! :wavey:
    I remember bemoaning how the 50s were slowing me down, and one of my older friends warned me how the 60 were a whole other level. :nono:
    :15 after turning 60, I could feel it, haha! :lmfao:
    Now that I'm 71 I feel like I thought I'd feel at 90 yrs. old. :fogey:
    This am I went to a Retired "old man's Prayer Breakfast at 5:30 am, where I'm the "kid" at 71. :laugh:
    One of the guys older than me retired in his mid 50s!!!
    One guy still helps his sons with paperwork in the family's construction business, another still owns a car repair shop.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I learned there is another level of tighter groups when I not only put my hands on a rest, but also the barrel on a rest.
    I started doing it with my Ruger Charger 10" barrels, then my 10" Buck Mark, then the
    8" Buck Mark.
    I tried it with my 5.5 & 6" & discovered with my old hands, it helped, haha!
    Can't remember if I've tried with any 4" barrels, haha!
    To your point, perhaps, it does change the POI.
    Looking at this it would seem that any pressure directly on the barrel could cause POI change. I know you are shooting a 308 but I would imagine this could be an issue even with a 22.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looking at this it would seem that any pressure directly on the barrel could cause POI change. I know you are shooting a 308 but I would imagine this could be an issue even with a 22.

It does make the point! :ar15: :laugh:
    It's a slight adjustment for the sights on a .22LR POI, but I imagine it would be huge for some guns.
    Ironically, it makes a difference with a spring-powered air pellet rifle how & where you have it supported & how tightly you hold rifle to your shoulder, which is supposed to be loosely, not tightly like you would a rifle with a kick.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2nd day with the "new to me:"
    Browning Buck Mark Contour URX Pistol 22LR, 5.5", Single Action, Aluminum, Black Ultragrip RX, Manual, Pro-Target rear sights, Matte Black.

Used Federal AutoMatch 40 grain, 1200 FPS, SLN.
    Basically same results as yesterday with the CCI Blazer ammo.
    30' was worse yesterday, coming down to 50% instead of yesterday's 80%.
    Range 7.10.2024 1.75in circles Fed Auto MTCH.jpg 2nd range day.jpg

Shooting at 3/4" squares dialing in rear sights for this ammo.
    Range 7.10.2024 .75in squares Fed AT MTCH.jpg

Painted the front sight with finger nail polish for the first time.
    In the past I've used gun sight paint which cost much more.
    pic of red front sight looking  from rear sight nail polish.jpgpic top of rail from rear sight to red front sight.jpg

Was going to put this Sig Romeo-MSR red not on the rail of the Buck Mark, but the rectangular protrusion on the bottom of it would not allow it to sit flat on the rail.
    Maybe this red dot is for a Picatinny Rail and the one on the Buck Mark is not a true Picatinny rail??
    I'm sure I can come up with a different one or move around my red dots to come with one that will fit.
    I can't wait to compare targets with this Buck Mark Contour URX, with my other model of Buck Mark I bought 02/2023, which is just called, Pro Target.
    pic Sig Romeo red dot not attach to rail.jpg

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    2nd day with the "new to me:"
    Browning Buck Mark Contour URX Pistol 22LR, 5.5", Single Action, Aluminum, Black Ultragrip RX, Manual, Pro-Target rear sights, Matte Black.

Used Federal AutoMatch 40 grain, 1200 FPS, SLN.
    Basically same results as yesterday with the CCI Blazer ammo.
    30' was worse yesterday, coming down to 50% instead of yesterday's 80%.
    View attachment 365093

Shooting at 3/4" squares dialing in rear sights for this ammo.
    View attachment 365094

Painted the front sight with finger nail polish for the first time.
    In the past I've used gun sight paint which cost much more.
    View attachment 365095View attachment 365096

Was going to put this Sig Romeo-MSR red not on the rail of the Buck Mark, but the rectangular protrusion on the bottom of it would not allow it to sit flat on the rail.
    Maybe this red dot is for a Picatinny Rail and the one on the Buck Mark is not a true Picatinny rail??
    I'm sure I can come up with a different one or move around my red dots to come with one that will fit.
    I can't wait to compare targets with this Buck Mark Contour URX, with my other model of Buck Mark I bought 02/2023, which is just called, Pro Target.
    View attachment 365097
    Pro-Target is the name that Browning has assigned to their adjustable rear sight. All Buckmarks from the factory have the same "Pro-Target" rear sight.

What I like to do is replace the front and rear sights with Williams Fire Sights. Their fiber optics are small and very visible. Front is red and rear are green. Super easy to align and super easy to see.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pro-Target is the name that Browning has assigned to their adjustable rear sight. All Buckmarks from the factory have the same "Pro-Target" rear sight.

What I like to do is replace the front and rear sights with Williams Fire Sights. Their fiber optics are small and very visible. Front is red and rear are green. Super easy to align and super easy to see.
    That was very helpful info about the Pro Target.
    I had suspected it was as you say but that left me wondering what the real model number was on my older Buck Mark 5.5" that I thought was a Pro Target model.
    I've spent all evening researching to catch up with what you already knew.
    Checking Item Numbers & UPC to figure out what the difference was between my two 5.5" Buck Marks.
    They are nearly the same visually with slight differences on the barrel.

- Browning Buck Mark Contour URX Pistol with Pro Target sights ($699.99 MSRP)
    Item Number 0514 (21) 490 & UPC 023614 (251552), which I bought 7.2024.
    - Browning Buckmark Standard NS URX Pistol with Pro Target sights, (MSRP $580)
    Item Number 0514 (97) 490 & UPC 023614 (043379) (bought 2.2023)

When I compared targets between the recent Contour URX model with my older Standard NS URX model when it didn't have a red dot on it yet, shows they shot about the same, maybe(??) the edge going to the recent Contour URX model.

I was going to put a red dot on the recently bought Contour URX, but I've run into problems since it has a full length rail on it that doesn't have as wide of "gaps" on it and the rail seems a smidgen wider(??) than the older Standard NS URX model.
    The Romeo red dot fits on my 1/2 rail of the Standard NS URX model but not the recent Contour URX model.
    Puzzling!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm still looking for how Eley force shoots in your pistols. IIRC I think it was made for semiautomatic firearms.
    I doubt that is going to happen any time soon.

My hobby time has been compromised lately and going to get worse for the next 4 months with my own medical appts.
    Wife & I are helping my 39 yr old son who is 98% immobile with a spinal fluid leak and needs daily assistance.
    He's had to take 2 separate weeks off work b/c he couldn't even work on computer half way sitting up.
    Wife and I are at his house during the day for hours at a time so his wife can go to work, so my schedule had been turned upside down.
    This has been going on since beginning of June with middle of June getting really serious.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great Day at the range, perhaps only time available this week.
    Will be spending the rest of the week with son at Dr. appts & procedures and Community North or monitoring him at home.

I have a Browning Buck Mark Standard (I had been calling it a Pro Target by mistake) I picked up last year and put a red dot on it after just using the iron sights for awhile.
    Picked up another Buck Mark model nearly identical to it, the Contour, this month.
    Slight difference in the slide.

Finally put a red dot on the newer Contour and shot it against the older Standard I already had.
    One of my favorite things in the hobby, is shooting similar guns to see if any difference.
    Usually, I'm the X factor if there is any difference.

They shot similarly today (like when shot with just iron sights), with the B. M. Standard edging out the Contour.
    The difference could have been between the 2 red dots:
    - Sig Romeo on Standard model
    - Truglow on Contour model

Can't wait to do this again to see if it's a draw between the two or if the Standard model will continue to edge out the Contour. :scratch:
    I use a different ammo next time to illicit any difference.

The Browning Buck Mark Standard I bought last year did a hair better today at 30' on 1.75" circles.
    Range 7.15.2024 BB Standard & Contour wRed dots @30' @1.75in circles.jpg

Again, the B. M. Standard I had last year with the 3/4" squares at 30'.
    Shot on back of previous target.
    Number above blue square is rounds hitting square out of 5 rounds.
    The Standard again is a bit more accurate.
    Range 7.15.2024 BB Standard & Contour wRed dots @30' @.75in squares.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The target and silhouette models have trigger overtravel adjustment as well as adjustable seat engagement.

I run a Target 5.5 that got a new Contour barrel swapped in. Removed the sights from the rib and just run a reflex sight. Kinda clean looking

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The target and silhouette models have trigger overtravel adjustment as well as adjustable seat engagement.

I run a Target 5.5 that got a new Contour barrel swapped in. Removed the sights from the rib and just run a reflex sight. Kinda clean looking
    I wanted to buy the Target in the Classifieds months ago to try out but didn't since I had 2 or 3 at the time.
    I have a Browning Buckmark 10" Silhouette Target with 4 upgrades that I'm really proud of & might be the most accurate gun I own.

The Contour barrel must be a tad better than the average Buck Mark barrel for you to swap one out in the Target.
    I expected the Contour would outdo the Standard model today.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    One of my favorite things in the hobby, is shooting similar guns to see if any difference.
    Usually, I'm the X factor if there is any difference.
    Same here! Have 4 of the Ruger MKII series , although the 10" is one I shoot the least , the accuracy is there but the shorter barrel ones are easier to shoot free handed. A pair of Smith 617s , a 4" and a 6". The 6" has been more consistently accurate. It even shot a better target than my 5.5" MKII and 4" 22/45 last weekend . Was raining but the range is covered.

Or I'll shoot guns against each other like my 10" TC 22 match and 10" Ruger Charger. Unfortunately the Contender broke not long ago.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Same here! Have 4 of the Ruger MKII series , although the 10" is one I shoot the least , the accuracy is there but the shorter barrel ones are easier to shoot free handed. A pair of Smith 617s , a 4" and a 6". The 6" has been more consistently accurate. It even shot a better target than my 5.5" MKII and 4" 22/45 last weekend . Was raining but the range is covered.

Or I'll shoot guns against each other like my 10" TC 22 match and 10" Ruger Charger. Unfortunately the Contender broke not long ago.
    I have the TC & Charger also. :thumbsup:

I have had two Ruger Mark 3 series & I should have kept both: great shooters! :ugh:
    In my hands, a 4" (especially 3") doesn't hold up to a 5.5" or 6" or 7".

My 8 inch Dan Wesson, 54 oz revolver is what I'm really proud of!
    I gave up trying to find a .22LR to compete with it.
    Had a couple of SW 17s, & a 4" 617, but nothing was as good & don't even try anymore.
    I did take a chance with the "new" $1077 (taxes & FFL fees & shipping) Colt King Cobra Target SS, 6", 10 rd.
    I have kept it b/c it is at least a worthy competitor at this point. :laugh:

Non optic guns usually go 21', sometimes 30'.
    Unless I get depressed, then dial back to 15'. :dunno:
    The best ones I try out at 45', 75' my "top of the line." :lmfao:

Dan Wesson 21'.
    Range 5.18.2022 SA & DA x4 circles each 21ft.jpg

Colt King Cobra Target 21'.
    Range 4.08.2024 CCI Blazer.jpg

TC Contender: 75', 45' & 30'.
    pic full right side wTarget.jpg

75' Charger
    Range 3.28.2024 Wnchster Super X 1300 FPS 40 gr SCN @75 ft.jpg

30', 45' and 75' Charger
    Range pic 3.26.2024 on 1.75 in cir. 30, 45, 75 ft.jpgRange pic 3.26.2024.jpg

Attachments

• 5.18.2022 pic of Dan Wesson.jpg
      5.18.2022 pic of Dan Wesson.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 3

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    That Dan Wesson is NICE!! Good shooting!! Out of all the rimfire handguns I have ever owned my TC with the 22lr match has been the most accurate. The Charger with the KIDD barrel is right up there but most of my testing with it has been 25 yards , need to test it more at 50yds.

I might scope my 6" 617 sometime and see what it can do off a rest. Back when the 617 was first introduced Guns & Ammo tested a 4 and 6 inch in a Ransom rest and the 6" did really well at 25 yards. My 6"617 is my only rimfire revolver that shoots with my semi-autos.
    11 617s G&A.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Repeated the range time of last week comparing my recent acquisition, Browning Buck Mark Contour, and my older Buck Mark Standard.
    Today, I used Aguila Super Extra, SV, 1130 FPS, 40 gr, SLN.

Both the Buck Mark Contour (rows 1 & 2) & the Buck Mark Standard (rows 3 & 4) scored the same results of 90% & 95% each.
    To my eyes, the Standard barely had tighter groups.
    I'll do this exercise using the 3/4" squares, next time.
    I did use them to adjust both pistols for the different ammo.
    30' @ 1.75" circles using red dots with hand rest only.
    Range 7.23.2024 BB Standard & Contour wRed Dots 30ft @1.75in circles Aguila SE 40 gr SV 1130 FPS.jpg

45' @ 3.75" circles.
    Similar results again.
    To my eyes, the Standard's groups barely had tighter groups.
    Range 7.23.2024 BB Standard & Contour wRed Dots 45ft @3.75in circles Aguila SE 40 gr SV 1130 FPS.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Shot a few 6 shot group 25 yard targets after sight in with the 617 , looks like some potential for really tight groups if I can eliminate the fliers. Going to give the gun a thorough cleaning for the next range session. I had the Burris at 4.5X .

11 617 25 scope.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1st range visit with a "new" SW 22A-1 (manufactured 2010+/-), I bought here in the Classifieds recently.
    Original owner put 800-1000 through it, using it in competition.
    I have always liked these pistols, having owned a few.
    I kept a Talo edition after selling the others with different barrel lengths and grips (pics below).

Used Aguila SE SV (1130 FPS), 40 grain, SLN.
    Hands-only rest today.

Fine-tuning adjustments for rear sights, some circles at 30' & some 21' @ 3.75" circles.
    Previous unposted page of original rounds were low and a hair to the right with my eyes.
    Range 7.29.2024 1st day 3.75in circles adjusting sights.jpg

1st row @ 30' = 90% (good for my eyes for iron sights)
    2nd row @ 21' = 100% (puts it into the "keeper" level using iron sights)
    I'm pleased with how it shoots.
    7.29.2024 Range 30ft @ 90% & 21ft @ 100%.jpg

A pic of this 22 A-1 today at range.
    pic at range of SW 22A-1.jpg

Pics of a few others I've had in the past:
    1722291218158.jpeg
    1722291265345.jpeg

Prized unshot (by previous owner), Talo edition bought from INGO member.
    1722291309763.jpeg

7" barrel I wish I'd kept.
    1722291849302.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom