• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    That's funny. That was my next question. If I ever decide to get into competitive shooting, even just for fun, what kind of gun would I need? I assume there are comps for all sorts.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I want to have one before the losers in Washington decide we can't have them anymore.

I'm not so sure I'd call them losers. Seems like every time we get hosed they always wind up the winners. :(

Seriously though, I've owned a lot of guns over the last 40 yrs., and I just started shooting a .22 recently. I love it and don't know why I waited so long.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's funny. That was my next question. If I ever decide to get into competitive shooting, even just for fun, what kind of gun would I need? I assume there are comps for all sorts.

Everyone loves 3 gun and IDPA shooting, but there's still plenty of affordable fun for rimfires.

The most popular rifle for competition and training is the 10/22 because it's reliable and can be upgraded over time to suit your increase in skills.

Rimfire matches are some of the simplest matches that test your skill. You can start with anything - bolt action or semi-auto, scope, aperture or open iron, old school wood or modern AR clone. Doesn't matter - there are divisions to make it competitive. They're a lot of fun and inexpensive.

I didn't start these until after I went to Appleseed training and learn how to shoot prone, sitting and standing with a sling. Definitely worth the investment.

Rimfire Central has postcard matches* that uses the honor system with you submitting your results to compete against others in a nationwide bragging rights way. Each competition may focus on a specific set of gear (e.g. lever action rifles) or skill (e.g. weak hand shooting). Competitors have one month to submit their best score to the website.

Ruger has a mixed pistol and rifle competition, but I know of any of these around. Though, it sure looks fun.

Also, don't forget biathlons use .22LR.

* In the past, everyone would shoot a postcard, then mail the postcard to a score keeper. The good old days before the internet.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    The hollow point 22LR is an effect round. They are also very cheap and available almost everywhere. I own a 22LR pistol and I enjoy it very much. You can get a box of 525 for about $18. That's a cheap day at the range and a lot of fun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A .22lr with hollowpoint will kill just fine ,especially close quarters with quick accurate follow up shots. IMO

Not to pick on you, but why do all of these discussions eventually devolve (4th post!) into killing another human?

I used to own a lot of guns - only one or two was purchased with the thought about it's lethality being an input to the decision.

We try to claim "guns don't kill", yet this thread about the .22 long rifle cartridge sure has a lot of post about killing. :n00b:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Not to pick on you, but why do all of these discussions eventually devolve (4th post!) into killing another human?

I used to own a lot of guns - only one or two was purchased with the thought about it's lethality being an input to the decision.

We try to claim "guns don't kill", yet this thread about the .22 long rifle cartridge sure has a lot of post about killing. :n00b:

I think the OP originally was asking about the lethality of the .22LR versus other calibers, and the original comment about "zombies" i usually interpret to mean the bad guy standing there in front of you waving a zombie knife, etc...

It is a GREAT caliber for just plain affordable shooting at the range

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    All great points. Thanks! The original question was about the stopping power of the 22LR being that I'm not made of money and I can't afford to buy a bunch of guns right off the bat. Eventually, I think I'd like to have a 9mm for home defense, and then probably a collection of different guns to take to the range for some fun. I'd like an AR just cause they look like a ****-ton of fun to shoot. I'd also like a Winchester repeater and maybe a revolver to satisfy the historian in me.

I guess my question is if I have to buy only one gun now, should I get the home defense gun first, and if so will the 22LR do the trick? It sounds like it probably would. However, I've been looking at a Ruger P95 that is a well priced 9mm. Of course the 1911 22LR looks pretty cool too. So many choices, so little money.

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I guess my question is if I have to buy only one gun now, should I get the home defense gun first, and if so will the 22LR do the trick? It sounds like it probably would. However, I've been looking at a Ruger P95 that is a well priced 9mm. Of course the 1911 22LR looks pretty cool too. So many choices, so little money.

The first gun I bought was a Ruger Mark III 22 and while I did not intentionally purchase it for home protection, it is better than having nothing, and still cheap to go out target shooting with my son.

I have since upgraded to a Glock 19 to carry but still have a blast shooting the Mark III

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is the .22LR ammo good for anything other than target practice? Seems like a lot of low priced guns use this ammo. And the ammo seems cheap. I think it'd be fun to have a Henry Repeater or I've seen an AK copy that fires this ammo, but would they be able to do anything other than pop holes in paper and squirrels?

I guess the point is, would they kill zombies? You know, if it comes to that.

Sure, you can hunt all kinds of things with it. I have shot everything from a coyote (and wild dogs) down through squirrels and rabbits with one. And Some people have been known to use a .22LR for personal defense.

It was a .22 that nearly killed Ronald Reagan.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't underestimate the .22LR. While being diminutive in size compared to other calibers, a .22 LR will do some damage if put in the right place. It is also an excellent round to practice, hunt varmits and squirrels, and HD - if absolutely needed. It is the most popular caliber and I believe, kills more people than any other.

It's also great for zombie invasions. Why?

1. It's cheap and plentiful.
    2. It's easy to carry a large number of rounds with you.
    3. .22's are extremely accurate, great for head shots.

:D

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the great discussion on here. I would agree that .22s are a great way to get others interested in shooting while lessening some of the "scariness" factors such as recoil. The first rifles for my boys will be Ruger 10/22s when they're old enough.

Of course, helps to have a Sig 229 for family protection as well...

Top Bottom