• ...and so much more!
  • What would you do?

• Total voters

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well Id like to get a .22LR in an AR platform but with all the choices out there its kind of hard deciding what I would like to do. Help me out What do you guys prefer?

Id really like one just so I don't spend so much money on .223/5.56..

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Well Id like to get a .22LR in an AR platform but with all the choices out there its kind of hard deciding what I would like to do. Help me out What do you guys prefer?

Id really like one just so I don't spend so much money on .223/5.56..
    I bought a M&P 15-22 and Tracy liked it so much that she claimed it for her own, so I bought a second one last weekend for me. I think you would like it. Oh and thanks for the deal on the stock wrench. It did the trick.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I haven't tried them all, but with the right ammo, I have had excellent results with my M&P.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    CMMG drop-in kit. Allows you to keep your custom stocks, sights, grips, etc. (do not have to pay to duplicate your "social gun" setup on your trainer/plinker), can be used with multiple ARs, and provides acceptable accuracy out to 25 yards or so.

If you want better accuracy at range, look into a dedicated .22 rifle or a conversion upper.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    CMMG drop-in kit. Allows you to keep your custom stocks, sights, grips, etc. (do not have to pay to duplicate your "social gun" setup on your trainer/plinker), can be used with multiple ARs, and provides acceptable accuracy out to 25 yards or so.

If you want better accuracy at range, look into a dedicated .22 rifle or a conversion upper.

+1

This is what I did and what I recommend.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I put a Tactical Solutions dedicated upper on a RRA lower that I already had. It's been a very nice shooting combination, and weighs much less than conventional AR platform .22's.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted for the m&p15 22. The Mossberg is the cheapest route, but feels the cheapest too. Nothing wrong with it for a cheap plinker, but it is all plastic and just doesnt feel quite right to me plus limited to 10 round mags for now. I hear they are supposed to be coming out with higher capacity mags, but for now just takes the 702 mags. It is reliable from what I hear, but the accuracy isn't quite as good. I have heard many good things about the S&W m&p version. Good luck with your decision. Love the .22 :D shoot all day for cheap! :rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I voted for a Spikes complete upper.

My reasoning is because shooting .22 is absolutely filthy. You won't notice it until you've spent a day at the range. Your 5.56 AR will be pretty clean after 500 rounds, your .22 ar will be absolutely filthy, caked with crap. That crap is a pain to clean up. I only clean my .22 when it starts to have malfunctions. I rarely ever clean my regular ARs. If my AR is my go-to gun, I want it in top shape. If I dropped a .22 kit in it and shot any decent amount I would have to clean it, and cleaning after every range trip is something I don't want to do.

Maybe I'm just lazy like that but I only clean guns when I need to.

That would be one of the few reasons why I would argue for a complete upper.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like the Ruger SR-22, I know it does not have the same controls as an AR like the S&W, but from everything I've read the handling seems to be pretty close plus I just ordered a Nordic kit for my 10/22 from Midway so I'm biased!

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I like the Ruger SR-22, I know it does not have the same controls as an AR like the S&W, but from everything I've read the handling seems to be pretty close plus I just ordered a Nordic kit for my 10/22 fro Midway so I'm biased!
    I was impressed with the quality of mine. Feels really nice, and most of the parts are interchangeable with other AR parts.

Voted for the CMMG conversion. If you do go this route though, do yourself a favor and buy a stainless one.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    M&P15-22, GREAT trainer, reliable and will easily go 1000 rounds between cleaning with no noticeable detriment.

Also, I don't have the pic anymore but when I had the scope on it, I put 5 shots inside a 1/2" sticker @ 50 yards so I'd say it's accuracy is outstanding if you take time to dial it in as such.

Check my Youtube channel in my sig for M&P15-22 action pron.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have a colt m4 for sale which fufills your desire... :D

That said I went with the spike's myself. Its a GREAT upper... like everything else spikes makes <shameless plug>

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

This is what I would do if I had an AR, I don't so I got a 15-22

Nizidramaniiyt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    I voted for a Spikes complete upper.

My reasoning is because shooting .22 is absolutely filthy.

YES, absolutely this reason. I have the Spike's .22 upper and I am very happy with it. It is way more accurate than I can shoot it and 100% reliable with the right ammo (Federal blue). After only 200 rounds or so, though, that upper is extremely dirty. Fortunately, the .22 upper is MUCH easier to clean than a 5.56 upper.

Top Bottom