Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Look at Tactical Solutions-

IMG_1216.jpg

It does not have the fake ACOG on it now, it has a Aimpoint clone, but it is a mirror of my 5.56 AR.

Upper from Tac-Sol and the lower is a Spikes I built.

It's accurate and 100% reliable.

I cannot speak more highly of it.

I tried the conversion kit and as a plinker, it's ok..but if you want accuracy, get the dedicated upper.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Just scanned, so didn't see if someone posted this, but the December 2010 (in case there's any doubt) issue of American Rifleman has a head to head of about 5 or 6 models.

I don't remember which one came out on top (I THINK it was the M&P), but I remember which came out dead nuts LAST, the Mossberg Plinkster. Just from the review, I'd stay away from that one.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just scanned, so didn't see if someone posted this, but the December 2010 (in case there's any doubt) issue of American Rifleman has a head to head of about 5 or 6 models.

I don't remember which one came out on top (I THINK it was the M&P), but I remember which came out dead nuts LAST, the Mossberg Plinkster. Just from the review, I'd stay away from that one.

The Mossberg came in dead last in the accuracy category, but as for reliability and price it was near the top. If I'm not mistaken it shot approximately 2 inch groups at 50 yds compared to 1.25" groups by the S&W, but the writer noted that there were no failures, shooting felt good, and it was almost half of the cost of some of the other guns. Competition wise, avoid the Mossberg, but for plinking definitely a good buy in my opinion.

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis

Here is the article they are referring to:
    Tactical 22s: A New Class of Rifles

If you click on View the Tactical 22 Story Photo Gallery then it will give you a quick review of each gun that they looked at. I came across this right before Thanksgiving when Gander at the Mossberg for $199. After reading this article, I decided to not purchase it and went with a 10/22 instead.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    CMMG drop-in kit. Allows you to keep your custom stocks, sights, grips, etc. (do not have to pay to duplicate your "social gun" setup on your trainer/plinker), can be used with multiple ARs, and provides acceptable accuracy out to 25 yards or so.

If you want better accuracy at range, look into a dedicated .22 rifle or a conversion upper.

What is acceptable accuracy? What kind of groups could I expect at 25 and 50 yards with this conversion?

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    I have three black rifles in .223, and an MP 15-22. Love my MP, good accuracy, performance, no FTF or problems with nearly 1k down the throat of several types of ammo. I used a cheap TASCO red dot on top and it works well for the .22. I like the dedicated .22. It also functions similar enough to the AR's to be a great training aid.

spradling24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I see that no one's a fan of the older Mossberg Plinker 702, but has anyone purchased the new 2011 model. Just read an article in the Guns & Ammo AR15 Magazine and they recommend it. I was wanting to get the 22LR conversion for my Colt AR15, but was really considering buying the new Mossberg Plinkers. Roughly the same price as the conversion and it's one more gun to my collection. I would like to hear some input from buyers of the 2011 model.

dreingar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I see that no one's a fan of the older Mossberg Plinker 702, but has anyone purchased the new 2011 model. Just read an article in the Guns & Ammo AR15 Magazine and they recommend it. I was wanting to get the 22LR conversion for my Colt AR15, but was really considering buying the new Mossberg Plinkers. Roughly the same price as the conversion and it's one more gun to my collection. I would like to hear some input from buyers of the 2011 model.
    I am a fan of the Mossberg... Over 2,000 rounds (Winch X) and NO failures nor jams! Sure it is plastic, but that also means it's lighter and easier to shoot with less arm/hand fatigue. Everyone should own one if for no other reason, if something happens to it, you really don't care!

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have the CMMG drop in kit and the CMMG upper. I think the upper is worth the added cost. Especially if you have a lower and a parts kits lying around like I did. Made use of a lower I had laying around and it's a bit more accurate than the drop in kit. If you have a specific setup you want to train with the drop in kit might be a better choice though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned a Ceiner kit for several years. I runs great if provided the ammo it likes. I recently did some testing with a CMMG kit and had similar results. They both were accurate enough for the type of shooting I wanted to do with them (easily hitting steel silhouettes at 75 yards).

I wanted a dedicated upper because I don't like the thought of gunking up my 10.5" LMT upper with 22lr. I ordered a complete upper from CMMG and received a shipping notice that it should be here Wednesday. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces. I've already got a Primary Arms red dot and Magpul MOE handguards and VFG for it. I have a Troy BUIS clone on the way. I'm having it cut down to match my 10.5" LMT upper and it should make for a really nice trainer.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    +1 for the Tactical Solutions .22 M4 upper. So far I've ran about 1000 rounds thru mine with only 1 failure to feed and IMO that was caused by the cheap Blazer ammo I shoot.:rolleyes: I've shot the upper at the last two FNS.:ar15:

I'm with phylodog about gunking up my 5.56 upper with .22 ammo and that's why I decided to go with a dedicated .22 upper. I bought mine from JSE for $475.:yesway:

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    My local shop has sold about all of the complete AR style 22's and it sounds like the S&W is about the best of them and the one I'd buy.

:)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I debated getting a dedicated upper for my M4. Instead, I bought a M&P 15-22. It has the same feel and controls in a lighter package. I shot mine on Thursday, ran through almost 500 flawless rounds. I was hitting 5.5" targets at 50 yards with iron sights no problem. If you decide to go that rout, I highly recommend a 15-22.

Top Bottom