• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I could not agree more with these 2 choices except i would get the mark III that was suppressed...i might get a double action revolver but both of these are excellent choices

I have looked at the 22/45 Ruger with the threaded barrel, have thought a LOT about that. It may be a gun I end up getting as well. But the MK III is for target shooting, my son is interested in getting serious about it. And you can drive thumbtacks with them, they are that good.

The Single 10, well , I guess i didn't play enough cowboys and indians as a kid. I love western looking revolvers....but my eyes love the fiber optic sights much better than the iron ones. :)

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    408827_345856762091158_100000005122716_1456247_897226185_n.jpg

Ruger MKIII, you will not regret it. I have a MKIII 22/45RP and it is my favorite gun to shoot. I got mine for $299 at Bass & Bucks in Wabash. Its a great gun that is accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I promise you will kick yourself in the butt for waiting this long to get a good .22LR pistol.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've had a SIG Mosquito, Walther P22, Ruger Standard, and H&R 923. The P22 is the only one I still have.

I wouldn't mind getting a GSG 1911 and Browning Buckmark. Those are on the short list.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    22lr is a must have

I went the cheep route, S&W 22A-1. The Rugers and Brownings are great.
    I have not had one problem once I found out the ammo it likes to eat. I think that may be true with most 22lr semi-auto's. remember that when you get one... O yeah.... dont forget the red-dot. just for the fun of it. :D

here's mine:

picture.php

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I like the Walther P22. I had the opportunity of shooting this for the first time last weekend. Very reliable, I had no problems at all with it's operation. It was also quite accurate. Definitely a fun gun for plinking at the range with!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of 22 autos and a 22 revolver and they are all a lot of fun, but also different. The revolver is the most fun of the bunch for just plinking at cans at up to 25 yards. The two autos are also fun to shoot but are more useful for cheap practice than just plinking. Neither of the two autos holds a candle to the revolver for fun plinking, but are more useful than the revolver in terms of practice. My favorite of the two is a Firestorm 22. The other is a P22 and is nice, but does not come close to the Firestorm in terms of entertainment and practice. But, I like metal guns. Someone that likes plastic guns would probably favor the P22. No matter how you do it, you cannot go wrong with a 22.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    SIG Mosquito if you always put CCI Mini-Mags through it. People give them a bad rap but I have over 2000 rounds on mine and I really enjoy shooting it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Well I found an amusing one at the 1500 today. A Puma 1911-22. It's definitely nothing special but it made for a nice plinker once I got all that factory grease out. Also bought 1000 rounds of CCI .22LR for $40. Score!

23fd3f89-1.jpg

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    browning buckmark, gsg 1911, ruger mkIII 22/45, they are all great guns you will love the fun you'll have with a 22. Targets at 100 yrds with a 22 handgun, now that's what i'm talk'n about.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    browning buckmark, gsg 1911, ruger mkIII 22/45, they are all great guns you will love the fun you'll have with a 22. Targets at 100 yrds with a 22 handgun, now that's what i'm talk'n about.

That's what I'm talk'n about too...

My GSG1911 at 100 yards:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJE87Gd86M[/ame]

You brought it up. :D

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Do not buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life and drive you into bankruptcy. If you buy one, you will want to shoot it. Ok, so the ammo is cheap, but price out a case of 5,000 rounds! So then you visit a range as someone's guest, which makes you want to shoot it more, so you become a member of the range....more bucks down the drain. Then you visit the range and some other guy has a different 22 pistola nd he lets you shoot it.....and now you just have to have one like his, too. You just threw away another $700. Now, what do you tell your wife? She was counting on a new vacuum cleaner, and you did what?..Spent it on a gun? After a month she starts talking to you again so you think it is all ok, and someone at work needs money and is selling his 41 for a steal, so you give him $725 for it, but you learned your lesson, and do not tell your wife about this one. Now you really have the bug, and start spending hours and hours on line looking for more "steals" and pouring through web pages. You see a Colt Match Target....hmmm.....gotta get one of those, but how to pay for it? You decide you can divert one of your expense reimbursement checks into your "secret fund" and the wife will never be the wiser......and it works so well you do it again, and often......taking one each month. Now you have enough to buy that Belgium Browning Challenger you have always coveted. And then you get it and are showing it to your neighbor in your driveway, and your wife sees you and asks if you bought another gun......quickly thinking, you say "No, I wish... Dave was just showing me his new pistol"! She buys it, but Dave then has to take it back to his house, and it is a month before you have the opportunity to "sneak" it back into your house. Now you have four 22's, and it's not enough. You begin stopping at evey gun shop you pass and searching for new ones to visit on Saturdays. You buy a copy of GunList and pour over and over the listings searching for the next one that you must have. Then some idiot at your gun clubdecides to start a 22 indoor pistol league, and you show up the first night and everyone but you is shooting a HS Victor with the 4" barrel, and they all have a nice pistol box and spotting scope, and you are there with your Dad's WW II binoculars.......now you have to buy more stuff. More magazines to search through....where can you buy this stuff? And then like magic, you discover Champion Shooters Supply.....and they have everything you every thought of, and a lot of stuff you do not even know how to use......but you want it. I am telling you, this is a sickness. No, save yourself while you can.....don't buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life as you know it.....andmaybe your marriage......but certainly your bank account. Save yourself while you can.

But, if you decide not to take this advice, you're in for a boat load of fun! I know.....I now have eighteen 22 pistols and twenty three 22 rifles.....and I also have a very large smile!!!

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    These are a lot of fun!

Well I found an amusing one at the 1500 today. A Puma 1911-22. It's definitely nothing special but it made for a nice plinker once I got all that factory grease out. Also bought 1000 rounds of CCI .22LR for $40. Score!

23fd3f89-1.jpg
    I purhased one of these (Chiappa - same pistol) about a year ago.
    After the 300 round break in period, it has been fantastic. These
    are going for $229-$269 around here. If you can get one for $229, go
    for it! I have over 1500 rounds through it, with almost no issues.
    Runs great on any hi velocity 22 lr ammo.
    Just my experience.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I purhased one of these (Chiappa - same pistol) about a year ago.
    After the 300 round break in period, it has been fantastic. These
    are going for $229-$269 around here. If you can get one for $229, go
    for it! I have over 1500 rounds through it, with almost no issues.
    Runs great on any hi velocity 22 lr ammo.
    Just my experience.

WOW! 229-269! Holy crap. I got a fantastic deal on this then. I paid $150 before tax. Feeling even better now! :D But yeah, the dealer told me to use high quality ammo or else I'd have lots of problems.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Do not buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life and drive you into bankruptcy. If you buy one, you will want to shoot it. Ok, so the ammo is cheap, but price out a case of 5,000 rounds! So then you visit a range as someone's guest, which makes you want to shoot it more, so you become a member of the range....more bucks down the drain. Then you visit the range and some other guy has a different 22 pistola nd he lets you shoot it.....and now you just have to have one like his, too. You just threw away another $700. Now, what do you tell your wife? She was counting on a new vacuum cleaner, and you did what?..Spent it on a gun? After a month she starts talking to you again so you think it is all ok, and someone at work needs money and is selling his 41 for a steal, so you give him $725 for it, but you learned your lesson, and do not tell your wife about this one. Now you really have the bug, and start spending hours and hours on line looking for more "steals" and pouring through web pages. You see a Colt Match Target....hmmm.....gotta get one of those, but how to pay for it? You decide you can divert one of your expense reimbursement checks into your "secret fund" and the wife will never be the wiser......and it works so well you do it again, and often......taking one each month. Now you have enough to buy that Belgium Browning Challenger you have always coveted. And then you get it and are showing it to your neighbor in your driveway, and your wife sees you and asks if you bought another gun......quickly thinking, you say "No, I wish... Dave was just showing me his new pistol"! She buys it, but Dave then has to take it back to his house, and it is a month before you have the opportunity to "sneak" it back into your house. Now you have four 22's, and it's not enough. You begin stopping at evey gun shop you pass and searching for new ones to visit on Saturdays. You buy a copy of GunList and pour over and over the listings searching for the next one that you must have. Then some idiot at your gun clubdecides to start a 22 indoor pistol league, and you show up the first night and everyone but you is shooting a HS Victor with the 4" barrel, and they all have a nice pistol box and spotting scope, and you are there with your Dad's WW II binoculars.......now you have to buy more stuff. More magazines to search through....where can you buy this stuff? And then like magic, you discover Champion Shooters Supply.....and they have everything you every thought of, and a lot of stuff you do not even know how to use......but you want it. I am telling you, this is a sickness. No, save yourself while you can.....don't buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life as you know it.....andmaybe your marriage......but certainly your bank account. Save yourself while you can.

But, if you decide not to take this advice, you're in for a boat load of fun! I know.....I now have eighteen 22 pistols and twenty three 22 rifles.....and I also have a very large smile!!!

Very correct! It's as if all the .22s are in one giant ball and it's gravity is pulling me in. hahaha

Top Bottom