• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I'm thinking of purchasing a handgun chambered for .22LR at the 1500 for no other reason than to hear more cartridges hitting the floor than change out of my pocket. More is the word and shooting is the action. Have any INGO members had experience with any .22LR handguns? What handgun would you recommend for just having fun at the range?
    A Browning or a Ruger Mk III would be my choice.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Picked up my ISSC M22 at the 1500 yesterday. Hope to give it a test run sometime this week. Will let you know how it goes.
    IMAG0650_edit0.jpg

dcap20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Smith and Wesson 22A. Cheap, Reliable, Accurate. Perfect for teaching and plinking. Shoot and shoot without going broke! But really depends on what style your wanting

twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    My gsg 1911 and RIA tactical are so very similar. I plan on getting the same grips on both. I let a S&W 422 off to a friend to get the GSG just so I would have the 1911 platform. Shoot several mags of .22, one of .45....... repeat scenario.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    What A Buy!

WOW! 229-269! Holy crap. I got a fantastic deal on this then. I paid $150 before tax. Feeling even better now! :D But yeah, the dealer told me to use high quality ammo or else I'd have lots of problems.

If I ever find one around here (Ohio) I will buy another for $150!
    Man, do I live in the wrong state.
    Yes, only use high velocity ammo. I have used Walmart Federal
    ammo (1240fps) and have had good luck. It goes for $1.97 for a box
    of 50. I also use Winchester Wildcat High Velocity, with no issues. They
    go for $2.99 a box here.
    For the best accuracy, step up the quality a little.
    Remember one thing - NEVER DRY FIRE THIS PISTOL - NEVER!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    If I ever find one around here (Ohio) I will buy another for $150!
    Man, do I live in the wrong state.
    Yes, only use high velocity ammo. I have used Walmart Federal
    ammo (1240fps) and have had good luck. It goes for $1.97 for a box
    of 50. I also use Winchester Wildcat High Velocity, with no issues. They
    go for $2.99 a box here.
    For the best accuracy, step up the quality a little.
    Remember one thing - NEVER DRY FIRE THIS PISTOL - NEVER!

Thanks for the info. I noticed that they stress not dry firing it. Can it really cause that much damage? I've never owned a 1911 before so I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to this.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I noticed that they stress not dry firing it. Can it really cause that much damage? I've never owned a 1911 before so I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to this.

Dry firing these pistols can damage them, even one or two times. When
    you clean it, do not pull the trigger to drop the hammer after assembling.
    Hang on to the hammer and then pull the trigger to gently lower the
    hammer.
    P.S. They are very helpful in the customer service dept., if you should need
    it.
    Good Luck!

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Do not buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life and drive you into bankruptcy. If you buy one, you will want to shoot it. Ok, so the ammo is cheap, but price out a case of 5,000 rounds! So then you visit a range as someone's guest, which makes you want to shoot it more, so you become a member of the range....more bucks down the drain. Then you visit the range and some other guy has a different 22 pistola nd he lets you shoot it.....and now you just have to have one like his, too. You just threw away another $700. Now, what do you tell your wife? She was counting on a new vacuum cleaner, and you did what?..Spent it on a gun? After a month she starts talking to you again so you think it is all ok, and someone at work needs money and is selling his 41 for a steal, so you give him $725 for it, but you learned your lesson, and do not tell your wife about this one. Now you really have the bug, and start spending hours and hours on line looking for more "steals" and pouring through web pages. You see a Colt Match Target....hmmm.....gotta get one of those, but how to pay for it? You decide you can divert one of your expense reimbursement checks into your "secret fund" and the wife will never be the wiser......and it works so well you do it again, and often......taking one each month. Now you have enough to buy that Belgium Browning Challenger you have always coveted. And then you get it and are showing it to your neighbor in your driveway, and your wife sees you and asks if you bought another gun......quickly thinking, you say "No, I wish... Dave was just showing me his new pistol"! She buys it, but Dave then has to take it back to his house, and it is a month before you have the opportunity to "sneak" it back into your house. Now you have four 22's, and it's not enough. You begin stopping at evey gun shop you pass and searching for new ones to visit on Saturdays. You buy a copy of GunList and pour over and over the listings searching for the next one that you must have. Then some idiot at your gun clubdecides to start a 22 indoor pistol league, and you show up the first night and everyone but you is shooting a HS Victor with the 4" barrel, and they all have a nice pistol box and spotting scope, and you are there with your Dad's WW II binoculars.......now you have to buy more stuff. More magazines to search through....where can you buy this stuff? And then like magic, you discover Champion Shooters Supply.....and they have everything you every thought of, and a lot of stuff you do not even know how to use......but you want it. I am telling you, this is a sickness. No, save yourself while you can.....don't buy a 22 pistol. It will ruin your life as you know it.....andmaybe your marriage......but certainly your bank account. Save yourself while you can.

But, if you decide not to take this advice, you're in for a boat load of fun! I know.....I now have eighteen 22 pistols and twenty three 22 rifles.....and I also have a very large smile!!!

WOW! Maybe we should start a support group thread here for .22 shooters!

(Dave) Hi, my name is Dave...and I shoot .22s
    (group): Hi Dave.:laugh:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

First off, congrats on your purchase! Good choice and will let you have a ton of fun and cheap to feed! :rockwoot:

As for the dry firing, yes it is bad for a .22! Since it is a rimfire the firing pin will hit the barrel when dry firing and it will not be good. You do not want to dry fire any .22

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Picked up my ISSC M22 at the 1500 yesterday. Hope to give it a test run sometime this week. Will let you know how it goes.
    IMAG0650_edit0.jpg

Congrats! Very fun shooter! :yesway: I have put many rounds through an ISSC an really enjoy it. I will recommend though that you run a few hundred rounds of CCI MiniMags 40 gr ammo through it to break it in though.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    As for the dry firing, yes it is bad for a .22! Since it is a rimfire the firing pin will hit the barrel when dry firing and it will not be good. You do not want to dry fire any .22

Not trying to pick nits or any thing but, since it's a part of the field strip for the Ruger Mark III ...

From the Ruger FAQ:

Ruger FAQ said:
    Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?

Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Congrats! Very fun shooter! :yesway: I have put many rounds through an ISSC an really enjoy it. I will recommend though that you run a few hundred rounds of CCI MiniMags 40 gr ammo through it to break it in though.
    Thanks. Already have one brick of CCI purchased...will be stopping by Wally World today to pick up some more.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Smith and Wesson K 22 masterpiece or Model 17 (after Smith went to the numbering system.) Possibly the greatest .22 target revolver ever made. I have got a 1947 pre-17 and 1974 17 that I just put some stag on.

k22004.jpg

K 22 masterpiece 1947

17-3002.jpg

1974 Model 17, now wearing stag grips.

IMHO of course.

Top Bottom