• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Got a new to me welder, needed to wire up properly...

81395A6A-D1D2-44AA-B5A8-47466CE570F2-16950-000008ACB5471152_zps331eaa5b.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's some pretty heavy wire. What's the gauge? What is the current requirement? If it's 50A or 30A you'll have to run at least that gauge from a double breaker in your panel, then there are outlets and plugs for those levels. I've wired 30A 240V to outlets in the garage for my MIG and my spot welder. It's nothing really difficult.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That's some pretty heavy wire. What's the gauge? What is the current requirement? If it's 50A or 30A you'll have to run at least that gauge from a double breaker in your panel, then there are outlets and plugs for those levels. I've wired 30A 240V to outlets in the garage for my MIG and my spot welder. It's nothing really difficult.

the welder is rated for 220v at 44amps

Garand41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Trafalgar
    Use a double pole 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge copper wire, If you use aluminum wire, you will have to go up to a larger gauge and use an anti-oxidant on the joints.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It's always scray teaching people E solutions from a distance.

Use a double pole 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge copper wire, If you use aluminum wire, you will have to go up to a larger gauge and use an anti-oxidant on the joints.

Good Point, but first Look for a Manual. It could say use a higher Amperage. Looks Miller Blue, they should have all manuals online for free. Always better to follow the instructions from the MFG.
    You will wire this like you would wire a Dryer or a stove. If you're not familiar with working with a breaker box, KILL THE POWER TO IT (Via the main, but be prepared to work in the dark, and get yourself a Tick tester or power tester, just to double check that the power is actually off - especially if your breaker has to be bolted to the internal bussing [BTW - Bussing are the CU or AL bars in the back of the breaker box]). It would be bad news to slip in your flat-head screwdriver to the rear bussing of the panel while it's live.
    Otherwise I'd suggest using the existing wire and using a non fusible or fusible disconnect rated for 220vac single phase 60 amps (or whatever the amperage your manual will tell you) to patch the gap between it and your breaker panel breaker (It's better to go lug to lug in a box rather than to wire nut something and then e-tape the hell outta it).
    Run all of your conduit or all of your grip connectors first and then run your wire through and cut to length. Wire to breaker without snapping or screwing to the panel yet and then do just that.
    If you have a meter and know how to use it, I'd say test all voltages phase to phase and phase to ground to make sure that you 1. are grounded, and 2. that you've got the right voltage going where you want it. Keep insulated, shielded, and start running beads!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Aluminum wire? :n00b: I don't have it in my car, why would I put it in my house? IIRC, aluminum wire is against code.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    AL wire is permissable for the larger sizes for sure. Not sure if it's against code for the small, in-wall wiring or not. I'm not a code expert.

All good advise here so far.

It's pretty straight forward, it really doesn't even matter if you get the black/white wires switched around on 220V. Just make sure green is to the ground terminal on your plug and the other 2 wires are connected to the other 2 terminals and same if you're wiring an outlet in. Make sure ground goes to ground and the Black wire goes one of the hot legs and the Red/White wire goes to the other hot leg.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Aluminum wire is not used for 2 reasons: expands and contracts more than copper and therefore can loosen up over time plus there are oxidation and other issues when combined with non-aluminum connections. But, I'm not an electrician.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Aye, he's a manly man now!!!:rockwoot:A welder in the shop reeks of manhood!!! (Insert Tim Allen grunts here):patriot:

Replaces that garbage Clark welder...

Get a NEMA 6 plug for the welder:
    Shop Lincoln Electric Welding Parallel Blade Plug at Lowes.com

And the matching outlet for the wall:
    Shop Cooper Wiring Devices 50-Amp Flush-Mount Power Outlet at Lowes.com

Your welder's manual should have a wiring diagram for the plug.

Drop the appropriately sized 2-pole breaker in your panel, and wire it up with the correctly sized wire (I used 8-gauge copper).

What model welder is that? I'm sure the manual is online.

Millermatic 250....using 40 amp breaker running through #8 wire, eventually I need to update box and replace the 40 amp with 50 amp and #6 wire

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Millermatic 250....using 40 amp breaker running through #8 wire, eventually I need to update box and replace the 40 amp with 50 amp and #6 wire

Scratch what I posted, then. This welder is designed to be hard-wired (no plug/outlet). Something like this:
    Shop Square D 4-Circuit 2-Space 70-Amp Main Lug Load Center at Lowes.com

Manual:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1308n_mil.pdf

See page 9 of the above manual for electrical service. This calls for a 70A max breaker and 10AWG wire for 220A operation.

I don't know of a plug/outlet combination for 70A (60 is the highest I know of).

Kick-ass welder, man!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Scratch what I posted, then. This welder is designed to be hard-wired (no plug/outlet). Something like this:
    Shop Square D 4-Circuit 2-Space 70-Amp Main Lug Load Center at Lowes.com

Manual:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1308n_mil.pdf

See page 9 of the above manual for electrical service. This calls for a 70A max breaker and 10AWG wire for 220A operation.

I don't know of a plug/outlet combination for 70A (60 is the highest I know of).

Kick-ass welder, man!

Back of welder says 230v/44amps

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Caleb your PM box is full, its not it. Thank you for checking.
    You can put a 3 prong 220v plug on it, kind of like a stove.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Back of welder says 230v/44amps

Correct. The manual also specifies the breaker size. :D

I'm guessing the surge amperage is over 44, so they want a larger breaker upstream. You can likely get by with a smaller one (say, a 50A), but may trip it now and then.

For instance, my little 220V Hobart has a 20A input, but calls for a 30A breaker.

Just looking at the specs on mine, and then the specs for the various configurations of yours, it looks like the breaker specified is 150% of the input current.

Just realized yours is DOUBLE the amperage of mine! I bet that thing can melt some metal.

Top Bottom