• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've got a Savage Mark II, wood stock, heavy barrel, Accu-trigger. Love the gun. It gives me 1/2" - 3/4" groups at 50 yards. I highly recommend it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I currently have:

Marlin Model 60... slim, lightweight, "high" capacity, nice trigger for a factory gun

Ruger 10/22.... Chunkier than the Marlin, down on capacity in factory condition, probably the most customizable rifles on the planet

CZ-452 Varmint... With the bull barrel, the thing's a tank. Add on the scope that's on it, even more of a tank. Low capacity (I only have 1 5rd magazine). But it'll put the projectile where you want 'em.

Dad owns: Browning BL-22... One SLICK little rifle. Gorgeous, too. Quite accurate. When he let me "have" it for several years...I scoped it. I once shot a rabbit at about 30 yards. In the ear hole. I never found an entrance or exit wound...so I presume it went in the ear...

-J-

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I hope that this isn't considered "high jacking a thread", what about a Remington 597? I am really up in the air between that and a Ruger 10/22. I was at my local Dunham's and they were out of the Ruger's but had 2 of the Remington 597's.

The sales guy advised that the Ruger comes with the wood furniture and set up for a sling, while the Remington needs holes drilled through the synthetic stock for a sling to be mounted.

I just about bought the Remington, but wanted to consult with you fine gentlemen and ladies about the subject. Any and all info would be great.

AR

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I hope that this isn't considered "high jacking a thread", what about a Remington 597? I am really up in the air between that and a Ruger 10/22. I was at my local Dunham's and they were out of the Ruger's but had 2 of the Remington 597's.

The sales guy advised that the Ruger comes with the wood furniture and set up for a sling, while the Remington needs holes drilled through the synthetic stock for a sling to be mounted.

I just about bought the Remington, but wanted to consult with you fine gentlemen and ladies about the subject. Any and all info would be great.

AR

All I can say is "Bullhockey." The 597 has the sling attachments - all you need to buy is the sling with the quick-release ends (or whatever they're called).

A friend picked one up about two weeks ago, and I finally got a chance to shoot it. His has the black synthetic stock, and is the scoped version.
    VERY nice. Between the two of us, we ran about 400-500 rounds though it - of various brands, weights, bullet profiles, etc. Some of it was 30 year old Federal that I had, some 25 year old UMC, and an assortment of others. Never had a failure of any sort, and most of the brands seemed to group pretty well - although the Federal printed a different spot, which kind of surprised me. The scope is not bad. Nothing spectacular, just a decent 3-9X scope.

I've been planning on getting a new .22 to replace my ancient Glenfield Model 60, which is pretty well worn out, and wasn't sure what to get. but after using that 597 for a while, I've made my mind up.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have had a Marlin mag feed 70HC .22 forever, that thing has shot more ammo then I would have ever thought possible. I will hand this one down to my nephew soon and will replace it with a new Marlin 795SS

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suppose I'll chime in on this topic with what I know about the top 3 contenders.

I have had a 22" stainless barreled deluxe sporter 10/22 rifle(not carbine) for several years now and it is a very nice semi-auto, flawless function, very accurate at 50 yards, granted the trigger could use lightening but at least it breaks clean.

I grew up with my Marlin Model 60 carbine in my hands, this is another great choice in .22LR that is also just as accurate as the Ruger is at 50 yards, however it does not like to feed & eject when it gets dirty, so you have to clean them a little more often than a 10/22.

CZ 452's are also very nice, but a little more expensive, I have the American model & it is just as accurate as it is beautiful (a rich deep bluing on the steel with a wonderfully grained Turkish walnut stock), anyway aesthetics aside my CZ is hands down the most accurate .22LR I have ever owned, it is as accurate at 100 yards as my Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 are at 50 yards.

Anyway that's about all of the thinking that my brain can handle at this time of night.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    I own a Marlin 60 for now. I want a 10/22 eventually, but, for right now, I need something that works reliably, accurately, and cheaply. One of these days, I'll want a 10/22 to customize but today is not that day.

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the 39a, the slickest shooting .22 rifle I have ever handled.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    My dad has a 597, it's a really nice rifle. Stainless bull barrel with nice laminated stock and has the scope package. I was able to produce 50 cent size groups at 50 yards.

scorpio1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    RUGER 10/22'S ARE GREAT, LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE CHEAPER, TRY ARMSCOR M1600 OR MAK22 AND THEY LOOK Realy cool.Contact Richard's Guns.prices cant be beat

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the 39a, the slickest shooting .22 rifle I have ever handled.[/quote]

+1 on the 39A. The new ones are $500+. Find a good used one for $350. The Mountie Carbines are my favorite.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have owned a Marlin model 60 (first rifle), and I have a 10/22 now, but by FAR, my FAVORITE .22 is a bolt action Mossberg model 144 7-shot box mag circa 1940ish. It is a tack driver at 150 yards!

jpserv

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Greenfield
    picture.php
    love my marlin model 60 as well

Top Bottom