• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My dad used .22 birdshot against gophers...but he used to sneak up and lay by their hole until they stuck their head up.

For my rural / suburban setting I use an air rifle. I've killed ground hogs at 25yds with it...but then again you do have to aim.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    A proper smoothbore 22r shotgun is very effective for rodent control. Here are some rats shot with my Mossberg 340tr smoothbore 22 shotgun my MILs farm. I have no problem within 20 yards or so killing them with one shot. I have had more fun with that gun. Its also great on carpenter bees. I do not have to worry about damage to the wood in the barn. In the photo of the two rats, I thought that I was shooting at one but when I went to look at the rat I found that I had shot 2 with one shot.

Chuck

zt9mpd.jpg

95semc.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Birdshot out of a rifled barrel WILL be effective on birds at 5'-30'. We had an issue with a certain type of bird for years that wood peck holes in the wood siding of our house. Once I taught my wife how to sneak around the front porch and shoot them off of the side of the house, she routinely dispatched 3-5 a day for a month or so. We had to switch to bird shot after I noticed a leak in the side of the gutter. When I pointed it out to her when it was raining one day, she responded, "Yah, I missed one the other day with the .22 and must have hit the gutter." An old Stevens Crackshot was our bird control weapon. Ironically, after painting the house a light color, the birds in question won't touch the siding now.

At the range he is talking, I'd use CB cabs.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom