• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am definitely fired up about deer season after picking up my mount of last year's deer yesterday. Shout out to Stone Mountain Taxidermy in Sulphur, IN. He did an awesome job and was the best price around. I will definitely be going back.
    20240828_163904.jpg
    It'll probably late October before I get to hunt though. Moving out of the rental and into my new house has eaten up alot of my time that I would normally be at the Farm. Hopefully I can get up into my favorite spot and get my stand up sometime in September.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It'll probably late October before I get to hunt though. Moving out of the rental and into my new house has eaten up alot of my time that I would normally be at the Farm. Hopefully I can get up into my favorite spot and get my stand up sometime in September.
    Unless we get some big cold fronts earlier in October I rarely hunt until the weekend before Halloween. I often don't see much mature buck activity on the property I hunt until then anyway.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Same. And the bugs are not as bad.
    Hopefully, the bugs are not as bad by then! A few seasons back It was 78 on November 10th and I was stupidly in a stand because it was November. I started to wonder if I was going to die from blood loss to all of the mosquitoes or have a heat stroke first.

I hope we get a killing freeze early this year, I'm starting to get very concerned about EHD.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Unless we get some big cold fronts earlier in October I rarely hunt until the weekend before Halloween. I often don't see much mature buck activity on the property I hunt until then anyway.
    I agree. I hate hunting hot days. I have vacation scheduled for the Fall Turkey gun season and that will probably be the first time I get out this fall.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Hopefully, the bugs are not as bad by then! A few seasons back It was 78 on November 10th and I was stupidly in a stand because it was November. I started to wonder if I was going to die from blood loss to all of the mosquitoes or have a heat stroke first.

I hope we get a killing freeze early this year, I'm starting to get very concerned about EHD.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Heard the EHD report on the news radio station today. Something like 12 indiana counties, but didn't say where or what counties. They also didn't say if someone took a deer with said infection..if it could be passed on to humans.

ALL YOU DEER HUNTERS HAD BETTER PAY ATTENTION AND DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THIS!!!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Heard the EHD report on the news radio station today. Something like 12 indiana counties, but didn't say where or what counties. They also didn't say if someone took a deer with said infection..if it could be passed on to humans.

Screenshot_20240829_215043_Chrome.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Very few deer that contract it will live long enough to be harvested by hunters. Those that survive are perfectly safe to eat.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Found an ehd deer today. I remember the first outbreak of this in 2012 during that drought. Never heard of ehd and I know of drought years prior to '12. So, my question is, where did this damn gnat come from all of the sudden? Did it blow in with hurricane winds like the Buffalo midge did?

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I don't do deer, but I support those who do.

For me hogs in Texas is just too rich of a target rich environment for me, to deal with the restrictions on anything else.. so I will wait for March to come. Leave the Hoosier game to you all.
    Do you use an outfitter? My kids really want to go on a hog hunt

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Do you use an outfitter? My kids really want to go on a hog hunt
    Nah a bunch of us old milsurp old dudes go down and a farmer lets us exterminate anything that moves with old hardware.

It would be called a re-enactment, if not for the pig shooting. (If we see a yote, or armadillo, they get made dead too)

It its considered a retro firearm, its going to be used to blast pigs ... or as we call them Communist Pigs.. its not for the faint of heart.

My day setup is an M1 Carbine, or the M14, night setup is an HBAR A2 clone with a PVS-4 sitting atop it. We run some traps usually too.

We do it ever march.

ironjaw77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2024
    US
    Hoping this season gives me more time to hunt and less time spent dealing with trouble. I had some of my purple paint on trees covered in obscenities in orange so I'm expecting some. Had a gate stolen where last season somebody had a campsite on my ground off the road. I destroyed that access road back to the clearing so they will have to park on the county road if they want to do that again.
    Wasn't me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had a drone up yesterday evening checking on the (unfortunately dry as a popcorn fart) fall plots and spotted this little feller. We named him Uno last year and had a nice collection of pics of him but he vanished before the rut. This is the first we've seen of him this year, hopefully he'll move back in, he's certainly larger than any other bucks we've seen this year.

He had good tine length last year but wasn't carrying much mass. Hoping he doesn't shrink as much this year when the velvet's gone. He's added a couple inches to his G2's this year from what we can tell.

34nbNxMh.png

xZlKR1th.png

j5QbkiWh.png

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    Unfortunately the county we hunt is one of the worst for EHD cases. A week ago were trimming shooting lanes and as we went from stand to stand in a couple of low lying areas near a creek, we smelled what appeared to be a dead animal.
    And it turned out we were right.
    Another hunter that hunts the property found the carcasses of five deer while he was putting out his trail cams.
    It seems that we're in for a long season.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Found an ehd deer today. I remember the first outbreak of this in 2012 during that drought. Never heard of ehd and I know of drought years prior to '12. So, my question is, where did this damn gnat come from all of the sudden? Did it blow in with hurricane winds like the Buffalo midge did?
    It's always been around but has become more prevalent with larger deer herds and people are also becoming more aware with both social and old media coverage. It is usually pretty hit or miss as well, devastating some areas and leaving others untouched as shown by the map on the DNR's website. The first I remember hearing about EHD was in the late 80's. There was very little information out there back then and it took a local member of the State Board of Animal Health asking some questions about the dead deer we were finding to figure out what was happening.

Top Bottom