• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    The flame boss need a extension cord ran to it? looks like they sell a battery pack that only lasts 8ish hours. How the weather sealing, i'm not under a canopy.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have an extension cord run to my BBQ table for my Flameboss. I've been very happy with mine but I did have an issue on Thanksgiving day (as previously mentioned) with the server not allowing for remote monitoring/control. Thankfully I was home all day so it wasn't a big deal.

I had mine for a couple of months when one of my dogs got ahold of my meat probe and pulled it apart. I got online and ordered another one. The next day I received an email from Flameboss asking my why I was ordering a replacement so soon. I explained what happened and they wouldn't allow me to pay for the replacement stating that it was covered for a year. They didn't even have to ask but they did, they certainly didn't have to cover it but they did.

I recently had an issue getting mine to connect to the internet. I contacted Flameboss to ask about any possible solutions since mine was well outside of the warranty period. What I received was a telephone call within an hour of my email from the owner of the company. He spent 15 minutes on the phone with me trying to find a solution. When we couldn't get it ironed out he sent me a replacement unit and a return shipping label.

With that kind of customer service they have a customer for life with me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Anyone have any old family seasoning secrets for grilled chicken? My wife brought home 6 big split breasts yesterday and I was planning to grill them last night. I had them brining in a simple salt brine when I was informed that plans had changed and we were going out for dinner. I pulled them out of the brine and put them in gallon ziplock bags and will be cooking them for dinner this evening so I'm looking for ideas on seasoning.

My typical Alaea Salt & Granulated garlic combo is great but I'm wanting something different. I've also got a big jug of Montreal Chicken seasoning. What I'd like to find is a seasoning which would yield a flavor similar to Nelson's Catering or the wings from the Happy Chicken place in Castleton. (If you've never had them I strongly recommend both). I don't even know how to describe them but from my understanding Nelson's is a liquid which the chicken is submerged in repeatedly as they go around a belt/rotisserie setup. The Happy Chicken wings are baked so I assume they're using a dry brine/seasoning setup.

So....... Whatcha got?!?!?!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's a video on Nelson's and how it's done. I don't have the equipment to do it their way but the seasoning would still be good just grilled.

[video=youtube;99LUiDtpRyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LUiDtpRyw[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone have any old family seasoning secrets for grilled chicken? My wife brought home 6 big split breasts yesterday and I was planning to grill them last night. I had them brining in a simple salt brine when I was informed that plans had changed and we were going out for dinner. I pulled them out of the brine and put them in gallon ziplock bags and will be cooking them for dinner this evening so I'm looking for ideas on seasoning.

My typical Alaea Salt & Granulated garlic combo is great but I'm wanting something different. I've also got a big jug of Montreal Chicken seasoning. What I'd like to find is a seasoning which would yield a flavor similar to Nelson's Catering or the wings from the Happy Chicken place in Castleton. (If you've never had them I strongly recommend both). I don't even know how to describe them but from my understanding Nelson's is a liquid which the chicken is submerged in repeatedly as they go around a belt/rotisserie setup. The Happy Chicken wings are baked so I assume they're using a dry brine/seasoning setup.

So....... Whatcha got?!?!?!
    Sadly, I’m not a chicken eater/lover, so my expertise with chic seasoning is Weber Kickin’ Chicken, or Traeger’s Poultry Shake. I’m also in your situation, I’ve got an 8lb Standing Rib, and the wife says we’re meeting the in laws for dinner at Iozzo’s tonight!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I ended up finding a copycat recipe for the Nelson's. It was a marinade/cooking sauce with butter, water, vinegar, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. I ended up putting the split breasts into the slow cooker and let it roll planning to baste with the sauce when I grilled it. I let it cook too long and the chicken fell apart on the grill but I was able to save the vast majority of it. My son's fiance was over and she said it tasted like Nelson's so I'll take that as a win. It was decent but I'll do things better next time.

I just dropped these and some sweet potatoes on the Big Green Egg. Gonna try the turbo method (325* for an hour 40 minutes). Hoping they'll turn out good, I had a hankerin for ribs today for some reason.

Sy7v3nUh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, here we are at the hour & 40 minute mark and the ribs aren't done. Don't try this method unless you want to eat dinner two hours after you'd planned.

FML

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I have wanted to try this method myself but I just cant cook ribs fast. If you could follow up with how they turned out, how long they took and some things you would change if you decide to try again that would be great.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I smoke 40 chicken wings and some brats. Made some white bbq to go with them. Also a simple hot sauce to cover. Tried a new method that was suppose to give good crispy skin like frying.

I will say it worked for about 3/4ths that got directly over the fire. Probably the best smoked wings I have had.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have wanted to try this method myself but I just cant cook ribs fast. If you could follow up with how they turned out, how long they took and some things you would change if you decide to try again that would be great.

Not being the patient type I went ahead and sauced them at the hour 40 mark, cranked the heat and put them on direct rather than indirect. They were cooked but not done to my liking. Around 50% of the meat pulled cleanly from the bone with a bite but the remainder had to be nibbled if you wanted a clean bone. The flavor was good as was the moisture level. If I were doing it again I'd go 350* rather than 325* and there's a good chance the result would have been much more preferable.

YkJ31HIh.jpg

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My rib thing is pretty simple. But always turns out. Take the ribs and season them with pork seasoning. Place them in tented foil sealed tight. In oven for 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Take them to the grill and hit them as much bbq sauce as you want. Grill to a light char. Ready to fall off the bone super tendor.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I hate how my hands go numb after washing off the dry brine from fish. Rack drying for the day and on the smoker tonight. Anybody else do fish? Where you buying.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just cooked about 75 chicken breasts for a friend on saturday, I marinate my chicken breasts in Dale's marinade and Italian dressing, then season them with Plowboy's Yardbird and John Henry's Chicken Tickler.

For quarters or half chickens I brine mine in Salt water, brown sugar, lemon juice, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and season the same way.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I hate how my hands go numb after washing off the dry brine from fish. Rack drying for the day and on the smoker tonight. Anybody else do fish? Where you buying.
    I do dry brined smoked salmon not infrequently, but generally only when I find something marked down or miss marked at Kroger. Never had my hands go numb though except from the cold. Is that what you were referring to?

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    My 2¢ on ribs. Someone above asked about a rub and someone else puts theirs in the oven prior to grilling.
    (1) marinate in Worcestershire, meat side down for 2 hours.
    (2) rub with a tsp each -- onion powder, black pepper, coriander, dry mustard, Cajun seasoning, Chili powder, Garlic powder,
    Salt, Paprika. Put in the fridge overnight.
    (3) I use a deep lasagna pan with a rack in it, pour in small can of pineapple juice, a little water, and maybe some bourbon.
    Bake covered meat side up @ 250° for 2 and a half hours.
    (4) Now you're ready for the Egg and/or grill. If Egg, smoke for a couple of hours at 250°. I use apple chips and put the left
    over juice from the oven pan into a pie plate under the meat. Then indirect grill it with sauce for maybe 30 minutes.
    If grill, put on indirect heat and lather on BBQ sauce. I can usually work up a thick layer of sauce in 3 applications about 10
    minutes apart. My favorite sauce is a combination of Sweet Baby Ray's and Jamaica Jerk, but that's overkill with the rub.
    Although it makes for a great wing sauce.

Yeah, this is a helluva lot of work, sometimes I just skip the smoking step and go right from the oven to the grill and sometimes I leave off the rub.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just curious, but why not just do them completely on your egg? I always do mine just on my smoker. Unwrapped for 3 hours, wrapped with butter, rub, and jelly for 1.5 hours, then 1 hour unwrapped and glaze with sauce every 15 minutes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom