• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I do dry brined smoked salmon not infrequently, but generally only when I find something marked down or miss marked at Kroger. Never had my hands go numb though except from the cold. Is that what you were referring to?

Yes, very cold washing that sludge off under cold water. I haven't seen salmon on cheaper then $7lb in the last year. Used to get some nice sales of $5 at Meijer.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Just curious, but why not just do them completely on your egg? I always do mine just on my smoker. Unwrapped for 3 hours, wrapped with butter, rub, and jelly for 1.5 hours, then 1 hour unwrapped and glaze with sauce every 15 minutes.

That's about how I do spare ribs, for babybacks, I use the 2-2-1 method.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I actually like “over cooked” ribs more then the what is social norms. Falling off the bone is what I like.... sorry traditionalists

You aren't alone. When I have time to cook them like I prefer to my family is fighting over the last few and it's a struggle to keep them together in racks while flipping them for the final char.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    To you people with offsets, how often you have to feed the firebox? also do temps dip up and down as fuel burns out before feeding, etc

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To you people with offsets, how often you have to feed the firebox? also do temps dip up and down as fuel burns out before feeding, etc
    Offsets are what make smoking “hard”. You have to keep watch on the temp, and the fire, and have coals ready to go. My Brinkmann offsets produce what I consider the best product, but with the Traegers and the Egg, I rarely use the offsets any longer as I have more time to “watch” my beer with my buddies, and less time stressing over maintenance of the fire and temps. There are complicated fans and probes you can “upgrade” offsets with, but you may as well buy a Traeger or an Egg, and spend the extra on beer and bourbon.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Just curious, but why not just do them completely on your egg? I always do mine just on my smoker. Unwrapped for 3 hours, wrapped with butter, rub, and jelly for 1.5 hours, then 1 hour unwrapped and glaze with sauce every 15 minutes.
    That sounds like a plan. I'm going to give that a try. Thx. My usual MO is to put them in the oven without the rub and then BBQ on the grill. Faster, only 2 steps, only have to pay attention for the last half hour on the grill while I'm building up a thick glaze.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    5FC25C6F-459F-4CF5-AFB0-7912381A92E7.jpgThis is our setup when the weather is nice...sports on the TV, music on, and a fridge full of cold libations. The smoker is towards the back. Love that thing. Getting the itch to do a brisket soon.

Last edited:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    5E9C9574-6E61-4DE5-8A95-F721E07AE539.jpg5E9C9574-6E61-4DE5-8A95-F721E07AE539.jpgSmoked a couple of pork butts last summer, one of our first adventures into smoking meat. Started spritzing them after 2 hours of smoking with a mixture of mostly apple juice with some olive oil mixed in, about every 45 min or so. After about 8 hours at around 200 degrees, we wrapped them in foil for another 2 hours on the grill, then off to the cooler for close to 2 hours. Didn’t take the after pics, but we were pretty happy with the results. (Didn’t mean to post 2 identical pics.)

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Had about 25-30 folks over to the house for a diaper party and football and beer Sunday.

Did a 9 pound pork shoulder on the smoker.

All day and overnight Friday it sat in a stock pot with bourbon and apple cider. Took it out Saturday and put the dry rub on and wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge. Put it on about 1:00 am on Sunday. At 1:30 pm Sunday it was at 203 degrees so I pulled it and wrapped it in foil and let it rest for about an hour before pulling.

By far the best result of anything I’ve ever done on my smoker.

2v2884z.jpg

mjqw75.jpg

28k0p42.jpg

23iwkz7.jpg

293hqtj.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pics in here got me drooling for some good Q. I have a glimmer of hope that my uncle will smoke a brisket and bring it for our Christmas dinner to go along with dads ham. I have trouble keeping the heat right in my smoker in colder weather. It's too bad I can't find a bbq joint that puts out a consistently good product. Been to many places in search of good quality Q but most are rather disappointing. Makes me question some of the awards they all brag about and wonder how bad the competition was. Too many places don't have enough "smoke" and dry out the meat then try to cover up their failure by slathering on the sauce. If you did it right you wouldn't even need sauce..ok maybe on the side to dip in.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Pics in here got me drooling for some good Q. I have a glimmer of hope that my uncle will smoke a brisket and bring it for our Christmas dinner to go along with dads ham. I have trouble keeping the heat right in my smoker in colder weather. It's too bad I can't find a bbq joint that puts out a consistently good product. Been to many places in search of good quality Q but most are rather disappointing. Makes me question some of the awards they all brag about and wonder how bad the competition was. Too many places don't have enough "smoke" and dry out the meat then try to cover up their failure by slathering on the sauce. If you did it right you wouldn't even need sauce..ok maybe on the side to dip in.

What part of the state are you in? Might be some folks who could steer you in the right direction for a good Q place.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I picked up 2 15 lb briskets from Costco today for our Christmas eve dinner. Wife will rock the slaw. I'll do both sammich meat and a ton of burnt ends as they are always the favorite

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you ever make it a little farther north this place is worth stopping by Big Hoffa's BBQ |

If you're ever traveling south on I65 this place is definitely worth stopping by as well https://www.yelp.com/biz/hickory-hills-barbeque-edinburgh

Right on. I have been to Hoffa's before and yeah it was good. Rarely get that far north but may have to take a short road trip soon. Never heard of hickory hill before but wouldn't be bad. Just cruise down and hit the range at Atturbury and then slip over for some Q. Thanks Phylodog

Top Bottom