jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    1) PORTER county residents can NOT join
    2) That group was/is designed more for the actual folks that WILL talk/email/write to their reps to push our agenda not for wish list that may or may not go anywhere

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I agree that the legislative wish lists probably aren't best here, but in a thread of their own. I'm a member of that user group, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the "user groups" function of vBulletin. There is no notification to the members that a post is made, and they're more difficult to get to.

GFGT: While Sandy Hook has faded from many peoples' short-term memories, I hope I am proven wrong that another such is likely to happen before the end of the year to distract and dissuade good people from voting for what they know to be right, rather than what the MSM can be counted on to paint in the wrong light.

In answer to Trigger Time, I'll say this: Seeking political capital is not something that the elected reps do solely for personal gain. Consider, for a moment, that someone like, for example, Sen. David Long, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. He's been in Indy for several terms now, and has risen to the position he holds, but he uses the power of that seat and the political capital he's amassed to help the members of his district. Were we to have the oft-heard sentiment of "T'row da bumz owt!" come true, we would have the House and half of the Senate be all new people one year, and the other half of the Senate two years later, along with the entire house again. This would mean 3/4 of our legislature had no connections, no ability to bring together a group, and no ability to pass any good laws any more than bad ones. Without some consensus, we have no results. Now...while it's been said and I agree that I want my government small and inefficient as hell, I do think we need to have a government to get rid of the crap we already have, for example, to repeal the "roaming school zone" as happened last year (and which got bollixed up not by our elected reps but by unelected members of LSA who failed to proofread)

The amassing of political capital is not in and of itself a bad thing, any more than you amassing a few thousand rounds of ammo is a bad thing. What matters is what you (or they) do with it. If it is used, as Rep. Bill Davis did, to stymie and stall legislation with which he personally did not agree, that would be bad. If it's used as Sen. Jim Tomes or Sen. Johnny Nugent do, to cause the repeal of past bad legislation, can you tell me that it's something to be avoided/prevented?

The catch is that we need to ensure that those who remain in Indy (or Washington, for that matter) to amass that capital are the kind of men and women with whom none of us would be uncomfortable amassing a collection of ammunition. That's a more difficult task, and it doesn't make for easy soundbites like "T'row da bumz owt!", but it's the task with the better payoff when we succeed.

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thanks BOR for a response. I see what your getting at and somewhat agree with it. Even after all the antics pulled by both sides of the isle in Indiana, I'm holding our hope for a productive session that betters indiana on many issues, not just the 2nd.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My biggest annoyance is being afraid of inadvertantly carrying in a GFZ. I can't carry to pick up my daughter from school. I'd be happy wiht just leaving it in the car as well. I am hoping for some 'common sense' reform here...in our direction.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So you don't want laws that remove restrictions, such as the end of the prohibition against guns in locked vehicles at schools? You don't want them to come back and correct the error from last year re: the "roaming school zone"? Or is it just that you're understandably worried about the warning from Mark Twain? "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." The "fix" for that is to ensure that those holding public office understand that they have taken a solemn oath to work for the people, rather than for the growth of government.

I think we have a few excellent legislators, many who will do right as long as one of the first group shows them the way, and a few who want only to increase their own power for their own personal gain. We need to rid ourselves of the last group... and that will be the subject of the threads covering the 2014 and 2016 elections.

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm willing to let them raise my taxes if they promise to keep the calender empty.

Note lack of purple.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Or is it just that you're understandably worried about the warning from Mark Twain? "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

^^^This^^^
    I'm afraid that I have become so cynical that I just want to minimize damage.
    I think that they all have a lust for power and we are just the currency that purchases it for them.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I understand. I'm pretty cynical myself. Jaded, too. That said, though, while what you've said here is true of some, and an argument could be easily made that it applies to all, or they'd not seek an office that carries the power to make rules for others, I'm of the opinion that some run for office not to obtain power but to do what is right and to end some of the wrongs that others before them have done.

I've met several who don't seem to have a power-lust. I've talked with more than I've met, of whom that is true also. The bottom line, though, is that the legislature WILL meet, and they WILL introduce bills for consideration, and some of those bills WILL become law, whether you "allow" them to tax you or not. For that matter, they will tax you, whether you allow it or not. (Yes, I know, "Who is John Galt?". Lots of people say it, but I don't imagine many do it.)

To me, it seems much better to be involved and make sure they know how to represent you, which is, after all, the job they sought.

Blessings,
    Bill

^^^This^^^
    I'm afraid that I have become so cynical that I just want to minimize damage.
    I think that they all have a lust for power and we are just the currency that purchases it for them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've just heard from my contact at the State House, and if what I've heard is correct, at least one of our legislators has been listening closely to INGO. I'm still sworn to secrecy on the details, but I've been asked to post a reminder here:

This will be a short session. From the first to the last gavel of this legislative session is only a little over two months. That means that letters, emails, phone calls, and visits with legislators will have to happen quickly for them to have any chance of doing us some good this session.

All I'm allowed to say at this point is that you'll REALLY want to have those letters written and ready to go.

Here's a sample, and you're all free to use this as a base template if you wish. I ask that you vary the wording a little so they aren't just getting form letters, but the general format should work for everyone.

Dear Sen. __________ (or Rep. ____________, or if addressing Rep. Brian Bosma specifically, "Dear Mr. Speaker,")

I have been looking at the list of bills introduced this legislative session, and ask your help in getting some that specifically interest me passed, preferably without restrictive amendments or other "watering down". In particular, I'm speaking of bills _____, ______, _______, and _______, all of which address the removal of old laws that, while possibly well-intentioned by their authors, serve only to limit the ability of good people to respond to the actions of people with criminal intent.

Please use your vote wisely and Constitutionally, in accordance with your oath of office. Laws against criminal activity have never stopped criminal activity, they've only allowed it to be punished. Unfortunately, those laws have also put at risk those who have no malice toward others, costing them dearly defending their innocence. It's time to make Indiana the safest of the 50 states for good people, and the most dangerous place there is for people to be criminals.

Thank you for your kind attention to this letter and my intent in writing it.
    The favor of a reply is requested.
    Have a good, liberty-conscious session, and God bless,

(signed)

Obviously, in that first blank will go the Representative or Senator's last name. The other four blanks (fill in more or remove those you don't need, of course) are for the number (and/or title) of the bill. As in years past, these will be in the form of SB ### or HB 1###, with Senate bills having between one and three digits, and House bills having four, the first being a 1)

For those who have done this before, I apologize if it sounds like I'm talking down to you. I'm writing this for you, but also for those who don't have the experience you do contacting those with the power to change things that have needed to change. For you who are newer to this, look at the top of this forum to find the names of your state Senator and state Representative. You can contact their offices through the main page of the IN state legislature, Indiana General Assembly: Home .

Of note: Be aware that the main page of the Democrats in the House of Representatives in Indianapolis has repeatedly set off my virus scanner when I've attempted to access it. If you need to contact your state Representative and he or she is a Democrat, you will want to contact him or her by other means. If you know your House district, you can contact him/her that way: Example: Rep. Pat Bauer is district 6. You can contact him at h6 at in dot gov, and Rep. Sheila Klinker is district 27, so her official email is h27 at in dot gov... obviously, you'd replace the word "at" with a @ symbol, and similarly, a . for the word "dot".

That works for Republicans, too, but the website is also available without malware for those contacting a GOP Representative. I'm not aware of any malware on the Senate websites of either party.

I hope this helps... Again, get those letters ready to go, and let's see if we can make some good law (by removing some bad law!) in Indiana this year!

Blessings,
    Bill

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Might be a stupid question, but when would be a good time to start sending mail to them? And would regular mail be better than email?

EDIT: I am guessing around January 7th when the session begins. I need to learn to read better. :ugh:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You could send letters now, if you want, but the bills to be introduced are not yet posted, so at this point, everybody is flying blind. However, as soon as they post the bills, we'll have the numbers we need and then it will be "game on". I've heard that snail mail is regarded more highly, but I don't know that to be fact. However you make contact, that you do so is more important than how.

The absolute, most important thing is that we let them know what we want them to do. The second most important thing, and by that I mean that it's a hair's-breadth behind the first, is that those contacts we make with them be civil, polite, and clear.

Take the time to read out loud the letters you're writing. Write them like you would when you're asking someone to do something for you they don't have to do, but which will make your life a lot easier (which is, in fact, correct and applicable.) Have someone spell- and grammar-check them for you, if that's not a strength for you. Yes, that also is important, especially if your legislator is intelligent, well-read, and perhaps "on the fence" on gun issues (that is, if you come across as a slack-jawed, mouth-breathing, booger-eating moron, are you someone they want to picture carrying a deadly weapon?) For the sake of clarity, no, I don't think those terms apply to our members, but I recognize that someone who has NO opinion of our community will form an opinion based on the contacts made with them.

The example I posted is available for use. As I said, you don't have to (and probably should not) use my exact words. If we all use the same letter, it will come across as a form letter and may be treated with lesser regard.

As soon as I see the bills posted, I will be posting them by number and summary.

Thanks for getting involved!

Blessings,
    Bill

Might be a stupid question, but when would be a good time to start sending mail to them? And would regular mail be better than email?

EDIT: I am guessing around January 7th when the session begins. I need to learn to read better. :ugh:

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Thanks for the reply BoR. I am somewhat new to the gun scene and this is the first session I can try to do something. So i plan to do what I can.

I do have a question, maybe you can be helpful to answer it. How likely do you feel that they can repeal the GFZ for Indiana Ports? Or more so, what is the reason behind it? Is it similar to the GFZ for school zones? I work in the Northern Indiana Port and am not allowed to take my gun to work because of this. And hate not being able to atleast leave it in my car.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'd love to be able to answer you, Ryan, but I really don't know. Include that request in your letters to your legislators and maybe one of them will write it. BTW, the deadline for legislators to submit bills is 12/13, so if you're going to do that, you need to hurry. It's certainly a worthwhile goal to pursue!

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for the reply BoR. I am somewhat new to the gun scene and this is the first session I can try to do something. So i plan to do what I can.

I do have a question, maybe you can be helpful to answer it. How likely do you feel that they can repeal the GFZ for Indiana Ports? Or more so, what is the reason behind it? Is it similar to the GFZ for school zones? I work in the Northern Indiana Port and am not allowed to take my gun to work because of this. And hate not being able to atleast leave it in my car.

Thanks again.

Ryan

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I'd love to be able to answer you, Ryan, but I really don't know. Include that request in your letters to your legislators and maybe one of them will write it. BTW, the deadline for legislators to submit bills is 12/13, so if you're going to do that, you need to hurry. It's certainly a worthwhile goal to pursue!

Blessings,
    Bill

Thank you again Bill. I emailed both of my state legislators about the issue, And will be waiting for a reply.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom