• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wish I could get my tomatoes to ripen. I probably have 150 tomatoes on 9 plants but every last one of them is still green. I keep hoping they'll pop soon and I'll be canning 24/7 to use them up before they go bad.

I got 3 pints of salsa done this morning. Recipe called for 5, but I would have had half a pint of salsa and a bunch of liquid. Yuck. So 3 it is. Still haven't got to the rest of the strawberries or blackberries. That's tonight. Hoping they're still good.
    They'll come along. It seemed like it took forever for mine to ripen too. IIRC your garden is a bit behind this year (from previous posts of yours). My tomatoes just started popping a couple weeks ago and really started putting out big numbers last weekend so yours should be along shortly...

You folks got recipes for the canning you are doing? I'm using mostly mixes.
    Pizza sauce recipe was just googled...
    Tomato sauce is easy, came right out of the USDA canning publication. Nothing added except 1/2 tsp citric acid per qt in the canner.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You folks got recipes for the canning you are doing? I'm using mostly mixes.
    I'm using the big Ball Canning book. So far I've loved everything except the salsa recipes. The salsa recipes call for so much vinegar that the flavor of the ingredients is overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure the vinegar is for acidity purposes, but between tomatoes and peppers, I can't imagine I need all that much vinegar. I'm going to be looking for new recipes.

They'll come along. It seemed like it took forever for mine to ripen too. IIRC your garden is a bit behind this year (from previous posts of yours). My tomatoes just started popping a couple weeks ago and really started putting out big numbers last weekend so yours should be along shortly...
    Yes, way behind. I was starting tomatoes by seed end of April. I noticed tonight while picking beans that a good dozen or so are starting to turn. So in the next week, I should be starting the sauce and tomato canning.

It is/was a great year for everything else. I shouldn't complain. I think I was just afraid that with the cooler temps and the late start, I might not get much out of them before the season ran out on me. You know, this global warming and record temps this year, I expect frost mid-September. :):

I do have one question for you. My pepper jelly recipe called for two packages of liquid pectin. This was my first time making jelly of any sort so I have no idea what's what. But my pepper jelly has to be chiseled out of the jar it's so gelled. If I heat it up, it can be spooned out. But just chilled in the fridge, it's like a big rock. I was wondering if it was too much pectin. My strawberry and blackberry jam recipes only called for one package, and they turned out marvelously (if I do say so myself). How much do you use in your recipes? Should I try less pectin next time? I've got a bunch of green peppers that are up for jelly, but I don't want to struggle with getting it out of the jar like this batch.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I do have one question for you. My pepper jelly recipe called for two packages of liquid pectin. This was my first time making jelly of any sort so I have no idea what's what. But my pepper jelly has to be chiseled out of the jar it's so gelled. If I heat it up, it can be spooned out. But just chilled in the fridge, it's like a big rock. I was wondering if it was too much pectin. My strawberry and blackberry jam recipes only called for one package, and they turned out marvelously (if I do say so myself). How much do you use in your recipes? Should I try less pectin next time? I've got a bunch of green peppers that are up for jelly, but I don't want to struggle with getting it out of the jar like this batch.

Good thing you're asking this week and not 3 weeks ago. I just learned about pectin a short while ago. I never knew there were so many different types and that they are NOT interchangeable. My recipe is from Kraft (Sure Jell) and calls for standard pectin so my experience won't relate to your experience with a recipe that calls for liquid pectin. But just a brief synopsis of the 3 main types of pectin. There is standard, which takes a LOT of sugar to create the right jell. Standard is best for pepper jelly because without the "lots of sugar" there wouldn't be anything else of real substance in your pepper jelly. Pepper jelly really plays on the heat & sweet that your taste-buds love so you need the sweet. There is low-sugar which takes less sugar to create the jell. This would be better for fruit jams etc where there is already sugar in the fruit and you don't want to overwhelm your fruit with the sugar. Then there is liquid pectin. I have never used it and I don't know the first thing about it.

Ok, enough of that, on to your specific problem. Not to insult you, but just to be certain, did you use the type of pectin the recipe called for and follow the direction exactly? If so, then here is an excerpt I found on a google search for hard/chunky/grainy jam.
    [h=3]Too stiff or lumpy jam[/h]If gel formation is too strong, due to way too much pectin, the jam becomes stiff, lumpy or granular in texture.
    Cooking too long, but not at a high temperature, can boil off water, without breaking the pectin down. This results in jam that is too stiff.
    This also occurs if the temperature is too high, for too long, or the jam is not stirred frequently.
    Using underripe fruit, which has more pectin than ripe fruit, with the same amount of pecton as the recipe requires for ripe fruit, also makes stiff jellies and jams. FYI, commercial pectin is intended for use with fully ripe (but not overripe) fruit.

Supporting documentation:
    About pectin: Pectin - What it is, how it works, how to use it, the different types if pectin and where to get it!
    Pectin comparison: Rurification: The Lowdown on Low Sugar Pectins

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Do not be afraid to try the prepackaged mixes at rural king. You can also doctor them up a bit with fresh peppers and such, to tweak it to something more your taste. The Ball book ( both the "blue" book, and the preserving book are excellent resources to start with.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Good thing you're asking this week and not 3 weeks ago. I just learned about pectin a short while ago. I never knew there were so many different types and that they are NOT interchangeable. My recipe is from Kraft (Sure Jell) and calls for standard pectin so my experience won't relate to your experience with a recipe that calls for liquid pectin. But just a brief synopsis of the 3 main types of pectin. There is standard, which takes a LOT of sugar to create the right jell. Standard is best for pepper jelly because without the "lots of sugar" there wouldn't be anything else of real substance in your pepper jelly. Pepper jelly really plays on the heat & sweet that your taste-buds love so you need the sweet. There is low-sugar which takes less sugar to create the jell. This would be better for fruit jams etc where there is already sugar in the fruit and you don't want to overwhelm your fruit with the sugar. Then there is liquid pectin. I have never used it and I don't know the first thing about it.

I knew about the different kinds. I like using the liquid because you don't have to worry with getting the "just right gel stage" of the mixture. The liquid is more process oriented than the powered, whereas the powered requires getting it "just right." I've not yet used the powered, though I bought some and plan to try it a bit later.

Ok, enough of that, on to your specific problem. Not to insult you, but just to be certain, did you use the type of pectin the recipe called for and follow the direction exactly?
    LOL, no problem. I'd ask the same thing. The answer is 'yes.' I used the right stuff, the right amount, and followed the directions to the letter. I've canned 22 jars of strawberry and blackberry jam with the liquid pectin in the last week using pretty much the same exact process for heating: basically, boil up the fruit and sugar mixture, stirring constantly [though it doesn't really have to be constant ;)], when it's at a hard boil that can't be stirred down, add the liquid pectin, stir constantly for 1 minute [I did stir constantly when the pectin was added], take it off the heat, let it cool so that the foamy stuff can be skimmed from the surface, then ladle into jars and process. The only difference between the pepper jelly and the strawberry/blackberry was the amount of pectin.

It sound like it was simply too much pectin. I'm going to try another batch with 1 package and see how that goes. The recipe called for green jalapenos, so I don't imagine they would have required full ripe-to-red status. I'll let you know. This is my first year of using pectin so I'm on the steep side of the learning curve.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In years past I've always made large batches of chili and froze it. I'm thinking of canning some this year. Suggestions?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I knew about the different kinds. I like using the liquid because you don't have to worry with getting the "just right gel stage" of the mixture. The liquid is more process oriented than the powered, whereas the powered requires getting it "just right." I've not yet used the powered, though I bought some and plan to try it a bit later.

LOL, no problem. I'd ask the same thing. The answer is 'yes.' I used the right stuff, the right amount, and followed the directions to the letter. I've canned 22 jars of strawberry and blackberry jam with the liquid pectin in the last week using pretty much the same exact process for heating: basically, boil up the fruit and sugar mixture, stirring constantly [though it doesn't really have to be constant ;)], when it's at a hard boil that can't be stirred down, add the liquid pectin, stir constantly for 1 minute [I did stir constantly when the pectin was added], take it off the heat, let it cool so that the foamy stuff can be skimmed from the surface, then ladle into jars and process. The only difference between the pepper jelly and the strawberry/blackberry was the amount of pectin.

It sound like it was simply too much pectin. I'm going to try another batch with 1 package and see how that goes. The recipe called for green jalapenos, so I don't imagine they would have required full ripe-to-red status. I'll let you know. This is my first year of using pectin so I'm on the steep side of the learning curve.
    I wish I could help more but I'm way outside my knowledge area. While I "used" pectin growing up helping mom can, this is my first year really using it as well. If you try again with less pectin it may be the recipe, ie try a different recipe and see if you have better results...

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm using the big Ball Canning book. So far I've loved everything except the salsa recipes. The salsa recipes call for so much vinegar that the flavor of the ingredients is overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure the vinegar is for acidity purposes, but between tomatoes and peppers, I can't imagine I need all that much vinegar. I'm going to be looking for new recipes.

We just made up a couple big batches of salsa using the Ball Canning book recipe. I'll admist most everything taste better when homemade with fresh homegrown vegetables, but this salsa is unfriggin-real. I'll never make it any other way or buy it at the store!

I posted photos on page 3 of this thread, you'll notice there are two ingredients shown in my photo that weren't in the Ball Canning book. One is Fresh Limes. I had a few laying around so I ground the peels and blended the pulps of 4 limes into the mixture. Secondly, I was canning a couple hundred ears of sweet corn that day so I just threw 6 ears on the grill and roasted them. I cut kernels off those roasted ears at 2/3rd depth and added them to the salsa mixture. Otherwise, it's by the book... vinegar and all... and it's AWESOME! The Ball Canning book is one you don't have to question too much, you won't find any garbage in there.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Made more tomato sauce but didn't have enough to mess with canning (only 2 qts this time) so I decided to make ketchup. But not just any ketchup, I can buy that in the store, I made "kicked up ketchup". The recipe called for some Bourbon but I had some Southern Comfort Pepper (Tobasco) that sounded really good in the store, and tasted horrible. So I subbed that for the Bourbon. It's not bad... going to make hamburgers and french fries (homegrown taters) tonight or tomorrow to give it a real test... If I make it again I definitely want to try it with the bourbon, the soco pepper just isn't quite the flavor profile I was expecting...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pepper Time !

2013-09-14_14-36-13_459_zpsb6dce2b3.jpg

2013-09-14_14-11-09_315_zpsb7bd321b.jpg

2013-09-14_16-52-52_709_zpsdc7dcacf.jpg

2013-09-14_14-02-18_502_zpsa18404d9.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I picked a couple of gallons of green tomatoes after work last night. 4 quarts of pickled garlic & dill green tomatoes and another 4 quarts of spicy ones. I've still got enough to do a bunch of green tomato pepper jelly and at least 4 quarts of pickled curry green tomatoes.

I've got more turnips i need to pull and I'm hoping the green tomatillos can be still be used for something after getting a hard frost last night. maybe I'll try pickling those with some of the rest of my peppers.

Wife did 12 pints of apple butter today too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep, frost did me in too. Though I had already pulled most of the stuff from the garden over the weekend. I "lost" about 4 quarts worth of tomato sauce in tomatoes that fell off the vine or were too cracked and damaged to use. That was disappointing. I am going to have a lot of volunteer tomatoes in those beds next year I think.

Interesting story: unless it succumbs to squash vine borer, I tend to let the frost kill back the zuke vine because the leaves are so dang spikey and hard to corral. Last night's frost killed back most of the leaves leaving a good view of what had been hidden by them. Lo and behold, a MASSIVE zuke that had been hidden for the last couple of weeks. This thing is almost 2 feet long and probably 10-12" in circumference, I'm guessing. I'll get actual measurement tomorrow when I get a chance to cut it off the vine. Another one this summer grew hidden in the leaves and was 14" long, but this one much bigger.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still have a bunch of cayenne and "ghost" peppers hanging that I hope to harvest yet. The plants are gone but I think they'll keep considering I plan on drying them anyway.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep, frost did me in too. Though I had already pulled most of the stuff from the garden over the weekend. I "lost" about 4 quarts worth of tomato sauce in tomatoes that fell off the vine or were too cracked and damaged to use. That was disappointing. I am going to have a lot of volunteer tomatoes in those beds next year I think.

Interesting story: unless it succumbs to squash vine borer, I tend to let the frost kill back the zuke vine because the leaves are so dang spikey and hard to corral. Last night's frost killed back most of the leaves leaving a good view of what had been hidden by them. Lo and behold, a MASSIVE zuke that had been hidden for the last couple of weeks. This thing is almost 2 feet long and probably 10-12" in circumference, I'm guessing. I'll get actual measurement tomorrow when I get a chance to cut it off the vine. Another one this summer grew hidden in the leaves and was 14" long, but this one much bigger.

Well, I was wrong on length and circumference. 19" long and 16" around.
    IMG_0764_zpsfd452d38.jpg

IMG_0766_zps4f700c49.jpg

IMG_0767_zpsa56f559f.jpg

Top Bottom