• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Just got home from the farm. After a miserable gun season where I saw all of 3 deer ( a spike and a doe with her fawn) My hopes were kind of low for muzzleloader season. I got in my stand this morning and at about 8 am, I saw a deer's body standing about 60 yards below me. I couldn't see the head, just the body. I thought it was a buck because it just stood there for several minutes. As I was watching, I saw another deer feeding just below the first one. Then the both turned and went away. As they were going up the otherside of the ravine, I got a look at the "headless" deer. A nice 8 point.I figured that was going to be it for the day. As the morning went on, I had 2 deer blow at me from above in the edge of the medow. Well' now it's about 11:45 and I'm fixing to get down for lunch, when all hell breaks loose from the other side of the ravine. I look back and to my right, ad here com 4 does AND A BUCK! I was already standing up in the ladderstand so I turned and watched them as they came closer. They're comming right to me. I deem the buck a shooter and he comes to 15 yards but head on. Then he turned broadside to me and I thought "Uh oh!" I looked through my scope and I got a brown blur. "Turn the magnification down dumbass!" I reached up to turn the power down and it won't turn. WTF?.... Turn the power ring NOT THE SCOPE MOUNT! Jackass!" I look back at the buck and he's headed up the hill straight away from me. He gets to about 25 yards, and turns broadside again as he's following the does. I let the T/C Omega loose right behind the shoulder and when he cleaded the smoke I saw him hunched up on his front leg and I knew I hit him good. He went about 30 yards and piled up. Entry right behind the shoulder about half way up, exit in front of the far shoulder at the base of his neck. We got him back to the house and had some lunch. I went out for the evening hunt and went to a different stand. On the way in, I busted 2 does on the other side of the creek. we watched each other for a few and I went on. I got to my stand and settled in. about 4 pm, all hell breaks loose behind me. I turn and through the brush I see about 10 does one after the other, making time. I heard them as they went across the hill and then down into the creekbed and on up towards the front of the property. About 5:15, a little doe pops up on top of the ridge and starts comming to me. It was small and I'm not going through the trouble for about 30 pounds of meat. I watched her come right at me and she got to about 10 yards watching me as she fed. Then when she got behind me, I look up the ridge, and here comes another 8 point. He's about 50 yards out and spots me. He comes a little closer, but decides to drop off the other side of the ridge. A few minutes later, I hear one blow at me from farther up the ridge and see a white flag bouncing away from me. As I was making my way back to the house, I busted 2 turkey off of seperate roosts. All in all, a very good day. Good enough to make my season regardless what happens the rest of the way. Ill take some pics of my buck( about 100-110 inches) tomarrow. All it takes is about 20 seconds for a bad season to go good. Keep at it and don't lose the faith. Try what I did, pray to St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.:D

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I was going to go but a buddy of mine called and had his expedition stuck in the mud. The front end went down on him. He called me and we had to go get a big tractor to pull his dumb butt out. We had 8" of snow and then it rained all night. Hmmm I bet its okay to drive across the field, its not raining that hard right now AND its a long walk. What the heck I'll drive, no sense in getting wet on my way to the blind. Duhhhhh

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Didn't see any on the way to church either. I am seriously contemplating playing hookie from work tomorrow though! :)

I will tell them the truth, don't worry 'bout that. Just going to go! ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hmmm I bet its okay to drive across the field, its not raining that hard right now AND its a long walk. What the heck I'll drive, no sense in getting wet on my way to the blind. Duhhhhh

that would be my cousin talking about me this spring :D

228631_169414319781812_100001397352204_389054_751140_n.jpg

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My dad and I haven't seen any deer since the cold spell at the end of October. Dad hunted Saturday and saw 4 doe. I have a feeling this week will be a good one.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    My freezer is pretty full, but I'll probably go back out for some late archery action in hopes of getting another doe with the bow. I've got my buck dropped off at the taxidermist, jerky is curing in the fridge for tomorrow and steaks marinating. It's been a good season.

dcary7

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I threw in the towel too, it hasnt been a very good year for me either, I missed a doe the second day of early archery. When I drew on her I knew something felt wrong but I just figured it was the way I had to twist around in my tree, when I shot it went right over her back. It was a 20 yard shot and it blew my mind when I missed. When I got home I shot my target and it completely missed. Somehow my kisser button slid down the string a little bit and shot about a foot high at 20 yards,After I got that fixed I didnt have another deer come in range the rest of the archery season. I also shot a buck the second saturday of firearms season. He came in about 60 yards and I put it right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I watched him hit the ground right where he stood. He rolled around for a second and slid down into a creek. I waited for a half hour and went to the truck and got the deer cart and my cousin and his friend to help. I went to where I shot him and he was gone. There was no blood anywhere. The only thing I found was the spot where he fell and rolled down the hill. I looked for 4 hrs and never found blood or any other sign. It made me feel like I was going to throw up. That is the worst feeling ever and only the sexond deer I've never been able to find but the first with a gun

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Wife and I went out tonight. Where did the wind come from? DUDE! It was dead still this morning and I didn't see anything, then tonight, it about blew me on the ground and I like to have froze! MERCY!

Didn't see anything tonight either! :( bummer!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I threw in the towel too, it hasnt been a very good year for me either, I missed a doe the second day of early archery. When I drew on her I knew something felt wrong but I just figured it was the way I had to twist around in my tree, when I shot it went right over her back. It was a 20 yard shot and it blew my mind when I missed. When I got home I shot my target and it completely missed. Somehow my kisser button slid down the string a little bit and shot about a foot high at 20 yards,After I got that fixed I didnt have another deer come in range the rest of the archery season. I also shot a buck the second saturday of firearms season. He came in about 60 yards and I put it right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I watched him hit the ground right where he stood. He rolled around for a second and slid down into a creek. I waited for a half hour and went to the truck and got the deer cart and my cousin and his friend to help. I went to where I shot him and he was gone. There was no blood anywhere. The only thing I found was the spot where he fell and rolled down the hill. I looked for 4 hrs and never found blood or any other sign. It made me feel like I was going to throw up. That is the worst feeling ever and only the sexond deer I've never been able to find but the first with a gun

I hear ya man. I lost a buck last year in muzzleloading- we tracked blood for 600 yards and went back 3 days to track some more and nothing. Very sick feeling.

Top Bottom