• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If I counted right, Bob Vogel won 6 out of 10 stages outright, shooting Limited 10.

Unfreaking believable, even if you see him do it.

Amazing forearm/grip strength he has to hold that light-ass Glock on target

vogel.jpg

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I was able to get some video of each stage since I wasn't shooting (yes I regret it Hickman, Coach, jake )

Here are a few:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gpk4R0R4lQ"]YouTube - ACC USPSA IN[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GIcMqy2Kpo"]YouTube - ACC USPSA IN[/ame]

Caleb
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PFS_wwv0g"]YouTube - ACC USPSA IN sectional[/ame]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Amazing forearm/grip strength he has to hold that light-ass Glock on target

What I always notice about Bob (well, and Dave and many other top shooters) is the muscles look like they want to rip out of his arms, but absolutely no strain in his expression. If you cropped out his arms, you'd think he was standing around loading mags or something. A perfect example of shooting w/o tension. Something I fail at a great majority of the time, despite knowing how it affects the shooting...

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have shot alot of matches, alot of the big Area matches over the last 4 years of shooting USPSA and not to blow my on own horn but these stages were every bit as good or better than most of them. We had a sponsored A class open shooter from Boston who trains and shoots with Max Michel said that this match was better than the Florida Open.
    Bob Vogel said that he loved the stages, really likes the high round count and the way that it test all your skills. Chris Keen said that they were great stages, tough and alot of competition.
    If you are a local shooter and didn't make this match, well you just flat missed out.

This was my first major as a Master in Limited, and while I won't be hanging a plaque on the wall for this one I am not all that disappointed with my performance.
    I ended up 8th overall and 6th M out of 72 shooters

There are alot of other M's and A's on that list that this time last year their names were always just ahead of me.
    RO'ing 10 stages and also shooting took alot out me and I was struggling to finish on Friday. My last stage was # 4 and somehow I managed to finish 8th that even though I think I was half passed out when I did it.
    I only had 1 mike on the whole match, on stage 3, I just sprayed 4 rounds at the second to last group of targets and it cost me.
    Stage 6 did not go well, I got my timing all messed up on the drop turner and max trap targets ending up taking 2 NPM on the drop turner while everyone else got those points.
    I also didn't do what I should have on the 2 speed shoots, instead of double tapping or even triple tapping the steel to activate the swinger I just put one round on it and stood waiting for the damn slow azz swing to come out on Stage 8.
    Bob Vogel showed us the way on stage 9 taking the exposed head shots on the max trap targets, he was done unloaded and showed cleared before the no shoots had come back up on them!! 4.44 seconds, I have teh video and will post soon

I learned that I am not going to get faster on the trigger, I need to get rid of the deltas (I had 10) and need to get alot faster on the draw (George is working on a grip for me) and I need to get faster on my feet.
    I stayed pretty competive with all the other Master shooters, but to beat them I need to get the speed up on everything else but the actual shooting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Bob Vogel showed us the way on stage 9 taking the exposed head shots on the max trap targets, he was done unloaded and showed cleared before the no shoots had come back up on them!! 4.44 seconds, I have teh video and will post soon

heh, many of us talked about doing it that way, I chose to play it safe but Daniel Hart actually tried it on Friday.

Bob just did it better ;)

I was actually amazed that more Open shooters didn't do it that way. I was saying if any one was gonna do it, it'd be Max. I went over to watch him shoot and he did it like everyone else, driving down the steel, then to the body. I asked him after and it didn't even occur to him.

I now see why you guys like to travel around to these matches.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I need to get the speed up on everything else but the actual shooting.

That is where I am with my shooting. I went into the match with the goal of being more explosive between positions and to "cut out the fat" of wasted time. Unfortunately, I let it spill over into my trigger finger. I got lax on calling some shots, and the shots where I didn't watch the sights lift were either misses or no-penalty misses (eg Ds!).

After my first 3 stages, by 11 am, I had racked up 5 misses. By the end of the day I had a total of 6 misses and 17 Ds. I shot a pathetic 83% of the points for the day. You cannot miss fast enough to win. I believe that had I worked to ensure I shot another 10% of the points, my times would have not increased significantly, if at all. Pure lazyness and impatience on the trigger.

HOWEVER.... sometimes when a match goes that south, I stop having fun. That was not the case with this match. Those stages were FUN. Big, monster, bad-ss fun! I wanna do it again!

Thanks to EVERYONE involved in making it run and bearing that monster heat. I kept thinking "they set this up TWICE?!" as I got to each stage. That's dedication! (with a pinch of stupid mixed in!) haha! :)

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bob Vogel showed us the way on stage 9 taking the exposed head shots on the max trap targets, he was done unloaded and showed cleared before the no shoots had come back up on them!! 4.44 seconds,

I'm curious how he started his gun. I was only .4 behind him, and I doubled the steel and went for the bodies. I started w/ the gun at slide-lock, which saved rackin it. WSB just said "unloaded facing downrange." It didn't say slide fwd hammer down. This was my only stage win (had a few 2nd/3rds).

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    heh, many of us talked about doing it that way, I chose to play it safe but Daniel Hart actually tried it on Friday.

I was actually amazed that more Open shooters didn't do it that way. I was saying if any one was gonna do it, it'd be Max. I went over to watch him shoot and he did it like everyone else, driving down the steel, then to the body. I asked him after and it didn't even occur to him.

Bob decided to risk the stage and do it that way. It was a huge gamble but he made it payoff there.

Stage set up needed more distance and less head available.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I'm good enough to hit the head shots fast enough.

I did it in 6.39 and got all the points. I must have asked LitlRatt 3 times which order he shot it in before I got to the line.:)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I'm good enough to hit the head shots fast enough.

I did it in 6.39 and got all the points. I must have asked LitlRatt 3 times which order he shot it in before I got to the line.:)

I planned to double tap the left steel the right steel and then the left and right trap respectively. It would have made a good time but I was careless with shots three and four and missed the popper completely. So I had to go back to it for one more. I then shot the head before it got open. 6.46 down 2 points.

A disaster that was managed on the fly.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I planned to double tap the left steel the right steel and then the left and right trap respectively. .

I just hit the steel once, but in the same order as you.

Don't you love it, you freaking MISSED 2 shots, made them up and STILL were only .07 behind me.

I need a faster gun....:D

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah I missed double tapping the steel, did it in 5.80 with left to right on steel, left to right on paper, down 1, that was a 17th overall finish in Limited!!
    Mid to high 4's is where it should have been at.

Bob started with gun slide down and racked it, went left paper head, steel, right paper head, down 2.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like how he explained it. If he'd missed the heads, he still would have time to come back and get them before the clamshells covered them up, without really losing all that much time. Risk/reward I guess.

He's always fun to BS with :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bob started with gun slide down and racked it, went left paper head, steel, right paper head, down 2.

I'd have liked to ask him if he'd have done the same in PD. I may have to play with a calculator on that one. -2 becomes -4 in PD. I was able to do it clean on the lower As.... amazing how much there is to consider to plan 6 rounds... (that's good course design!)

-rvb

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Any revolver shooters? Might try a match or two.

I think we had a total of nine revolver shooters. Some were VERY good.

You'll need a S&W 625 (.45 ACP) with moon clips to be competitive. Most use a race holster in revolver as well.

If you'd prefer to shoot a conventional style revolver with speed loaders, IDPA has a division for that.

Top Bottom