2009 - What have you done to Prepare this week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    500 rounds CCI .22LR
    100 rounds Fiocci .40 S&W
    5 extra jars peanut butter
    (bracing for tax results - may have to sell some guns... :xmad:)

buck119

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    South East Indiana
    20 lbs of pinto beans
    20 lbs split peas
    40 lbs of rice
    3 federal 550 packs of .22 LR
    300 rnds 9mm
    100 rnds .357 mag (actually found some!)
    3 nice, xtra large wool sweaters at Goodwill

Thats about all I could afford for this week, I've been a "prepper" for 3 years though. When Ike blew through southern Indiana knocking out all the power, I opened a canned chicken, buttered vegetables and some peach cobbler and lived like a king. Couldn't help not feeling a great sense of pride in myself while I was at it too. :D

buck119

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    South East Indiana
    20 lbs of pinto beans
    20 lbs split peas
    40 lbs of rice
    3 federal 550 packs of .22 LR
    300 rnds 9mm
    100 rnds .357 mag (actually found some!)
    3 nice, xtra large wool sweaters at Goodwill

Oops, forgot...Also another large bottle of vitamin c as well as a bottle of multi-vitamins.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    If you are around Greenwood, stop in at GFS outlet store. They have lots of bulk food items. We stock up on 6/10 cans of fruit, beans, and sauces, as well as the rice, spices, and paper products. They are open to the public, and there is not a membership fee.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    2006-2008 was :
    1- More land at the cabin, can shoot rifle and clays and not bother neighbors now.
    2- Cabin finished and completely off grid.
    3- Root cellar is complete and full of goodies.
    2009 and 2010 will be investment years, buying at 30 year lows in select markets.
    2009 will also be about shooting more. I dumped some safe queens, and will be shooting more each week on the property, with the kids and a few non-shooters. It's fun , relaxing, and picking up a gun and hitting a 200 yards target with the first shot from a cold barrel builds confidence.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Other than putting a shitload of miles on my treadmill & getting some trigger time in blasting small fast moving objects, not awhole lot.

Oh I guess I did add a couple of new shotguns to my safe this last week though.

Getting healthy/in shape is probably more important that other preps.

I rotated and restocked the extra pantry with a large Sams club purchase. (stuff we eat normally)
    hand loaded 200 9mm
    Bought a brick of .22
    Ordered some .223 dies
    Ordered bullet molds and dippers.
    got a gerber back ax.
    Studied for my Ham Lic.
    Started working on my tent stove.
    Bought an AR.
    Bought 5 G17 mags

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just got a huge pressure cooker off of ebay. I will be buying a wood cook stove tomorrow and a bunch of canning jars. Starting to stock up on food as well. I will be ordering a bunch of seeds in the near future as well.

Do any of you guys have any experience with fruit trees? Will the grow fruit if planted in a semi dense woods or will they have to be totally exposed to sunlight? I know a lot of people have apple and pear trees around here but will peaches grow here?

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Fruit trees need a lot of sunlight to really produce. Otherwise you'll get stunted fruit that's susceptible to a number of diseases and blights, plus the fruit is usually smaller and has less sugar content. There are hardy hybrid peaches that are supposed to grow here, but I've always thought the few I've eaten weren't all that good. I opted for apricots. Huge producer of fruit; the fruit is super sweet, easy to prep and can/freeze, and the trees are fairly easy to maintain.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Kind of what I figured with fruit trees. You never see orchards that aren't in the great wide open. Thanks

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's my next question for gardners. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables but I like corn, green beans, peas, potatos, etc. I'm looking at rareseeds.com and they have so many different variety of beans and other plants. What variety do I want if I want just plain jane vegetables like you would buy in a can at grocery stores? I want plane jane green beans, wax beans, beans like you would make ham and beans with, pinto beans, and peas.

Do you guys have any luck planting potatos here? I've heard yes and no. I'll be planting tomatoes as well. That website has some seed collections of 300 packets for $375 but I don't think I'd eat over half of the stuff that's in the collection. I'm mostly wanting to plant stuff that will can. Also, I want them to be heirloom seeds so I can save seeds every year and replant.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have questions about gardening, ask old people. The best tool for survival is their knowledge of how life was like growing up in the '40's and '50's in the Indiana countryside.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Finally found where the Iodized Salt is at Sams. Bought 24 boxes of 4 lb salt. Guess I should have gotten one more to make an even 100 pounds. It never goes bad and is required if things get bad.

I also ordered a can storage unit from shelf reliance. I bought The Harvest unit. Expensive at $400, but I am sick of trying to find cans of what I want and sick of throwing out cans as they go bad because I missed them in the back of the pantry. This easily allow first in first out consumption and will nag you when your can supply is getting low.

2 - Mosin rifles and 1320 rounds of ammo. Much more .22 and .44 Mag.

Lee Hand Press, Powder Dippers, Primer tool and Shell Holders. Under $100 for everything I need to reload (I already have dies for almost everything.)

I need to get primers and powder ordered. I want to get some casting equipment as well.

All my other preparation have been for the wedding or honeymoon. I went to the Utah class so I can carry when we go out West in June.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    If you are around Greenwood, stop in at GFS outlet store. They have lots of bulk food items. We stock up on 6/10 cans of fruit, beans, and sauces, as well as the rice, spices, and paper products. They are open to the public, and there is not a membership fee.

We got most of our Stuff at GFS.
    Great store with lots of bulk supplies.
    Like a Mini-Sams/Costco.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I just got a huge pressure cooker off of ebay. I will be buying a wood cook stove tomorrow and a bunch of canning jars. Starting to stock up on food as well. I will be ordering a bunch of seeds in the near future as well.

Do any of you guys have any experience with fruit trees? Will the grow fruit if planted in a semi dense woods or will they have to be totally exposed to sunlight? I know a lot of people have apple and pear trees around here but will peaches grow here?

You mean pressure CANNER correct? It must have a dial or weight gauge on top to use properly. A pressure cooker is for making dinner.

Also you dont want to pressure can high acid foods, water bath is fine.

Top Bottom