2006 6.0L F-350 Diesel...opinions needed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    One thing: if you aren't planning on using it regularly and giving it a WOT on a regular basis, you might not want one. They are not trucks that you get just to take your camper out 3 times a year. SItting for extended periods of time coupled with babying the throttle can result in the turbo vanes sticking.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    15-20k on oil changes in HEUI engines???

This just null and voided anything you have said in this entire thread and leaves me out if this conversation from here on out.

Good luck

keeps people like us that make money fixing these things happy, ssshhhhhh :D

seriously tho, with all the known problems with a 6.0, why on earth would someone still buy one? it's like buying a gun that MIGHT shoot, i just don't get it :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    15-20k on oil changes in HEUI engines???

This just null and voided anything you have said in this entire thread and leaves me out if this conversation from here on out.

Good luck
    keeps people like us that make money fixing these things happy, ssshhhhhh :D

seriously tho, with all the known problems with a 6.0, why on earth would someone still buy one? it's like buying a gun that MIGHT shoot, i just don't get it :dunno:
    If it is coming back within spec as good Oil why change it out?! :dunno:

I've got a '97 that other than the initial oil change at 500 and a 1,000 miles, has gotten it's oil changed at 15-20K intervals its entire life. Runs like a champ with only basic maintenance performed...

By the way I don't take my equipment to clowns like you guys, everything is maintained in house... :popcorn:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    seriously tho, with all the known problems with a 6.0, why on earth would someone still buy one? it's like buying a gun that MIGHT shoot, i just don't get it :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Saying the 6.0 is a bad motor is like saying the 5.7 GM of the mid 80's was a bad motor. It's not the motor, it's the pollution BS they reto fitted to the motor. The 6.0 was not designed for an EGR valve. Couple that with the wrong antifreeze and it was a disaster. International put the 6.0 in larger trucks with the right antifreeze and no EGR and they had an excellent track record.

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If it is coming back within spec as good Oil why change it out?! :dunno:

I've got a '97 that other than the initial oil change at 500 and a 1,000 miles, has gotten it's oil changed at 15-20K intervals its entire life. Runs like a champ with only basic maintenance performed...

By the way I don't take my equipment to clowns like you guys, everything is maintained in house... :popcorn:

I'm in trade school learning how to become a Diesel Service Tech. I'll get credits for doing that the first part of the day and go back to the school for math, English, and history. I'll do it this year and senior year, and afterwards I get my certification to work on diesels commercially. I won't be taking my stuff nowheres :D

Not getting the 6.0l. Since I'm sixteen it was a pipe dream unfortunately. Probably going to get a 7.3l or a Bronco.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Saying the 6.0 is a bad motor is like saying the 5.7 GM of the mid 80's was a bad motor. It's not the motor, it's the pollution BS they reto fitted to the motor. The 6.0 was not designed for an EGR valve. Couple that with the wrong antifreeze and it was a disaster. International put the 6.0 in larger trucks with the right antifreeze and no EGR and the had an excellent track record.

I believe Navistar/International called it a VT-365....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Saying the 6.0 is a bad motor is like saying the 5.7 GM of the mid 80's was a bad motor. It's not the motor, it's the pollution BS they reto fitted to the motor. The 6.0 was not designed for an EGR valve. Couple that with the wrong antifreeze and it was a disaster. International put the 6.0 in larger trucks with the right antifreeze and no EGR and they had an excellent track record.

THIS, people, THIS.

Ironically, I find it hilarious no one is suggesting a 6.4 or 6.7. :laugh:

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    I'm in trade school learning how to become a Diesel Service Tech. I'll get credits for doing that the first part of the day and go back to the school for math, English, and history. I'll do it this year and senior year, and afterwards I get my certification to work on diesels commercially. I won't be taking my stuff nowheres :D

Not getting the 6.0l. Since I'm sixteen it was a pipe dream unfortunately. Probably going to get a 7.3l or a Bronco.

Right ON! Thats my plan too! I start school this fall, I want to have my own shop one day.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    What are your requirements for the truck?

There is a lot of 6.0 bashing out there. It is funny that there are a TON of them out on the road, working every day.

There are few people that I know that have had both that would rather work or tow out the 7.3. The 7.3 is a great and reliable motor. The 6.0 was the answer to the EPA and with all new technology which are prone to issues when new. How you fix these issues is how well the truck will last.

Here are the things I know about the 6.0

FICM, if you get low FICM voltage your truck will be hard to start cold and the low voltage could lead to injector problems. When you get low FICM voltage (less than 43 volts I think, but I would have to check) replace it with a 58 volt FICM (preferably with tune) and be done with it.

Head gaskets on these trucks are a usually a symptom of an oil cooler problem. The oil cooler spec'd for these engines uses engine coolant to cool the oil and this travel through very small passages. These passages have been know to clog over time with casting sand from inside the block and the silicants in the coolant. The coolant passages clog up and stop flowing through the oil cooler and then the next stop, the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler then overheats and ruptures putting coolant into the cylinders...and boom blown head gasket. This is why you should get an EDGE CTS and watch for this problem. Once it happens in our truck I will replace it with a BPD air cooled oil cooler and be done with the problem cooler. (I will also get studded at this time for better tunes :D)

I would NOT recommend a coolant flush (with chemical) on a truck with a good oil cooler. You run about a 50-75% chance of plugging the oil cooler based on what I have read on the other boards.

But once you understand the issues, recognize they are there and prevent them, it will be a good truck.

The 6.4s are supposed to better on reliability, but I hear they are a bit harder to work on, and when something does go wrong it is big big bucks (because all maintenance on these are big bucks) but also get somewhat worse mileage. My Co-workers 6.4 gets 15 MPG highway. We generally get around 15 IN town and 17-19 highway with a CCLB driven kind of like a Mustang.

We just worked out of 6.0 all weekend in 100 heat pulling loads and trailers of downed trees and cleared brush. This is our first diesel, and I will NEVER go back to a gasser having worked out of this truck.

I never drove or worked out of a 7.3. If you need something that you just want to take minimal care of, and have it start up and haul anything you need a 7.3 will be a good truck. It got is reputation because it was out there for a long time and had all the bugs worked out. But don't let a good 6.0 go for fear until you understand what the problems really are.

Top Bottom