2006 6.0L F-350 Diesel...opinions needed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    That's funny...
    I've seen just as many 7.3L open and laying out as I've seen 6.0L opened up. I make just as much off of the 7.3L as I do off of the 6.0L, as I do off of the Cummings...

I'll admit the first couple of years of the 6.0L were ugly, but so were the first years of the 7.3L. So were the first couple of years of the Cummings...

Anyone here old enough to remember when Ford tossed the turbo on them?!
    it's Cummins not Cummings:laugh:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have a 05 6.0. Since having it Ive blown the head gaskets, had to replace the EGR valve, and had to have a new turbo on that was all covered by the warranty. Ford did it all for free so I couldnt complain too much. I wouldnt be afraid to buy another one.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have a 05 6.0. Since having it Ive blown the head gaskets, had to replace the EGR valve, and had to have a new turbo on that was all covered by the warranty. Ford did it all for free so I couldnt complain too much. I wouldnt be afraid to buy another one.
    You blew your Head gasket, most time you do that is cause you have a tuner/chip & you didn't stud the head;)

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Are you seriously comparing a IDI 7.3 to a Powerstroke?

How many EGR systems have you deleted off of 7.3's???

To compare a 7.3 downtime to a 6.0 is completely ignorant.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I have a 04 6.0 and it has been the hardest pulling truck I have driven. It has an EGR delete kit and an edge juice box, this is how I bought it. Do yourself a favor and do some research on why this motor had so many problems and how to fix it. This is the guy I subscribed to on YouTube, he makes a lot of sense to me. The time you spend to view all his videos on the 6.0 are worth their weight in gold :twocents:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM38rFuI_YE&feature=plcp If you own a 6.0**WATCH THIS VIDEO** and go buy a new coolant cap.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are you seriously comparing a IDI 7.3 to a Powerstroke?
    The first 3 years of the 7.3L Powerstroke were just as horrible as the first couple of years of the 6.0L Powerstroke engines.

How many EGR systems have you deleted off of 7.3's???
    Your right the 7.3 does not have an EGR, however the 6.0L, 6.4L, and the 6.7L do. So my blanket statement of Do the EGR delete no matter what engine you have is still valid...
    To compare a 7.3 downtime to a 6.0 is completely ignorant.
    Why?!

I have had several of each, and downtime for the ones I have had in my Fleet are about the same. The maintenance on all of mine has been basic maintenance as far as the engines and drivetrain are concerned. We are running about 15-20K between Oil Changes. The Suspension is actually running at lower cost levels on the trucks with the 6.0Ls in them. Course, if I need more horsepower than they have stock, I use a Semi...

So in my experience, the Downtime on the 7.3L and the 6.0L is a wash... :dunno:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So 6.0 guys, make sure this is right: oil and oil filter change at 5k miles, fuel filters changed every 15k miles, coolant changed every 50k miles. What about air filters? I'll be doing the egr delete. What else do I need to do?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So 6.0 guys, make sure this is right: oil and oil filter change at 5k miles, fuel filters changed every 15k miles, coolant changed every 50k miles. What about air filters? I'll be doing the egr delete. What else do I need to do?
    Sounds about right...

Unless you do Oil Analysis, then you may be able to stretch the Mileage some on the Oil Changes...

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    One other thing is that motor is heavy, check the ball joints. most every ford SD I know has had them replaced at least once. W/ 150K it should be in need or already done, I did mine at 130K and they were shot.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One other thing is that motor is heavy, check the ball joints. most every ford SD I know has had them replaced at least once. W/ 150K it should be in need or already done, I did mine at 130K and they were shot.
    At 150K check the entire steering system as well...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How do I check the steering out? Just see if it's real loose? Also what intervals do I change the air filters at?
    I think the Air Filter Interval for an OEM Filter is 20K...

Drive the truck is the easiest way to check the steering. If it has any play, wander, wobble, or stiffness it probably has tie rods or ball joints that are worn or damaged...

speedsk899

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    Bedford, IN

The 05 and up 6.0 have a stronger high pressure oil pump HPOP but they did not upgrade the fittings. There is an HTC fitting upgrade kit that I would suggest putting in. You are already going to have the intake off to do the EGR cooler delete. The turbo is pretty easy to get off at that point. HPOP is under the turbo.

Here is what causes the EGR cooler to go bad. The EGR cooler coolant comes from the oil cooler. The oil cooler has fine passages in it and tends to get clogged up. When the oil cooler gets clogged up it blocks the coolant from making it to the EGR cooler. The coolant then boils in the EGR cooler leading to damage. Just deleting the EGR cooler does not fix the original problem. There is really only one way to determine if the oil cooler is plugged up and that is to have the truck scanned. Have the coolant temperature and oil temperature read and monitored while driving down the road at about 60mph for about 20 min. There should not be more than a 15 degree difference in the temperatures. If there is the oil cooler needs replaced or there will just be more problems in the future. This is the reason to flush the coolant system often. There are also coolant filters that can be installed.

Another upgrade is called the "Blue spring kit". It is an upgraded spring for the fuel pressure regulator that bumps the fuel pressure up a bit. The reason for this is low fuel pressure can cause abnormal wear in the injectors. Keeping the fuel pressure a little higher helps prevent this. It is pretty cheap and very easy to install.

If you end up getting the coolant and oil temps scanned you should go ahead and have them scan the HPOP commanded and actual pressures. These should stay very close to each other. Also, the ICP (injector control pressure) valve can be scanned to show the percentage it is actuating. While cruising this percentage should stay pretty low. If the pressures do not match or the percentage of the valve is high then you may have high pressure oil issues. Just something to watch for but this problem is more relevant to the 04 and earlier 6.0 before they changed the HPOP.

As for the air filter....if its dirty change it. haha

If you have any questions let me know!

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    15-20k on oil changes in HEUI engines???

This just null and voided anything you have said in this entire thread and leaves me out if this conversation from here on out.

Good luck

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Seems like there isn't much love for the 6.0L here :dunno: Everywhere else I look everyone loves them. Just change the oil regularly and do the egr delete and you'll be fine.

I make up for it. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE my '07. Not much difference between the '07 and the '06 except the day it rolled off the factory floor.

I wouldn't trade my 6.0 for a 7.3 even if someone could guarantee I'd never have any of the 6.0 problems because the 6.0s are more powerful and an all-around better truck than the 7.3s. You need to listen to the folks who've driven them. The powerstroke forums will be your best friend. The 7.3 was no doubt a dependable workhorse but in terms of performance it can't touch the 6.0.

It helps if you understand the root of the 6.0 engine problems. And when it boils right down to it (no pun intended), it's the facotry coolant Ford uses. Silicate build-up is the pre-cursor to all the engine issues. The Powerstroke forums have great write-ups on those. They also have answers to avoiding the problems, and how to fix the truck if you're bitten.

If you decide you want a 6.0, then invest in a monitor that will keep tabs on Engine Oil Temps (EOT) and Engine Coolant Temps (ECT) (CTS is usually the most recommended monitor on the PS forums.) When the delta between them starts running 10 and greater and/or the EOT starts running too hot, you're starting to experience the problems. You can get it fixed before you actually suffer the break-down.

I would recommend buying this BEFORE you purchase the truck and install it on the truck(s) you consider for purchase so you can determine their delta temps in advance. It plugs into the OBDII (oh-bee-dee-2) plug which is just below the steering wheel. Easy on, easy off.

This is all in addition to the recommendations from others regarding oil changes, fuel filters, etc. You'll probably also want to do a coolant flush and change because that will eliminate a good portion of the risk associated with the crap in the factory coolant. I can't remember what you want to put it in instead of the Ford stuff, but you can find it on the PS forums too. (Seriously, just go to the PS forums.)

After you get one, get a performance tune and a two tune and be the baddest truck on the road (after me, of course!) :D

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Buy a 7.3 like me, run it 180,000 and other than routine maintenance only changed u joints , brakes and front hubs and clutch fan.:):

Other wise you asking for a world of hurt.
    :(

Top Bottom