2002 CHEVY SILVERADO - Power Window DEAD. Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, last week when I was getting the U-joints on my 2002 Silverado replaced (the orginals lasted 250K miles!), the guys at the shop put my driver's side window down so they wouldn't lock the keys inside. When I was leaving, the window would not raise.

They've been through it twice looking for the problems. If they supply power directly, the motor and switch are fine. They just can't find the interruption between the power sources and the door that is causing the problems.

Any ideas, or am I destined for the dreaded trip to a dealership?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sounds like it's time for a new truck. Kinda like, "oh my knife needs sharpened...better just go buy a new one."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Check the relays, does the passenger window work?
    maybe swap a similar relay for another one in the underhood box... I HATE searching electric problems.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Try opening and closing the door slowly while trying to move the window. Sometimes a broken wire in the harness going through the door hinge area will be detected this way.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I suspect a broken wire somewhere around the door hinge area. Another possibility is that a big footed worker knocked something loose under the dash. My bet is the wire is broke in the hinge area though, since you say all works if you hot wire it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Check the relays, does the passenger window work?
    maybe swap a similar relay for another one in the underhood box... I HATE searching electric problems.

The passenger side doesn't work for a different reason. Before this happened, you could hear the switch actuating, but no window movement on the passenger side (so that one is probably motor related, but less of a concern right now). The driver side is just dead.

Try opening and closing the door slowly while trying to move the window. Sometimes a broken wire in the harness going through the door hinge area will be detected this way.

I shall try!

I suspect a broken wire somewhere around the door hinge area. Another possibility is that a big footed worker knocked something loose under the dash. My bet is the wire is broke in the hinge area though, since you say all works if you hot wire it.

Thank you, sir! I will try cbhausen's recommendation.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I know this sounds too simple, but have you tried to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it after a few minutes?

It could be a hiccup in the cpu and if this is the case, it will resolve your issue.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN

Broken wires in the door harness(es) has done me in twice. Sometimes it is the windows, sometimes the door locks. Short in the passenger side harness now. I can at times lock/unlock the doors simply be closing the passenger door. Don't want to get debate started on Chevy versus Ford, but this never happened on my 18 year old Ford, but started on my current ride (a Chevy truck) when it was only 6 years old. Still cheaper than a new one though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Jeep GC ('94)........broken wire in my door harness (section from under dash to door, maybe 2.5 ft long).
    Ridiculously expensive for a new old stock part (IIRC $300).
    Could snag one from Pic a Part for cheap. But how brittle?
    I have a soldering iron and wire.........btw factory wire doesn't solder worth a crap, but I fixed it. Broke again at a different wire, a couple of yrs later.
    Patched that and still going fine (9 yrs total).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you tried switching the wires from one door window switch to the other? You said the other side wasn't working anyway--maybe the switch gave up the ghost.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Yep... Put a temp ground from under the dash to the door switch and or window motor and see if it works.

Top Bottom