2002 CHEVY SILVERADO - Power Window DEAD. Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Have you tried switching the wires from one door window switch to the other? You said the other side wasn't working anyway--maybe the switch gave up the ghost.

Switches are verified okay. Initially they thought it was a bad switch, replaced it, and nothing changed. Then they hotwired it and got both the switch and the motor to work a few times (that's how they got the window back up).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Ahhhhhhhh. It's tough to fix electrical problems without good diagnostic skills.
    You gotta read wiring diagrams and test and confirm, before you spend money replacing good parts.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ahhhhhhhh. It's tough to fix electrical problems without good diagnostic skills.
    You gotta read wiring diagrams and test and confirm, before you spend money replacing good parts.

Don't think of it as replacing good parts. You are replacing bad money in your pocket with empty space! :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Switches are verified okay. Initially they thought it was a bad switch, replaced it, and nothing changed. Then they hotwired it and got both the switch and the motor to work a few times (that's how they got the window back up).

OK...I was thinking of cheap, easy things first. I'm guessing you checked the fuses. (gotta ask :D ).

We need to figure out if you've got power to the line side of the switch and if you have a good ground on that motor.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No wire should be brittle in a vehicle that age!

Maybe not, but have you ever handled wires on an older car in the winter, WAY stiff. when the insulation cracks that is where the copper flexes every time, and it breaks there. I have 5 year old guitar cords that were nice and limber new, and now will not even lay flat on the floor, and they have never even been cold.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wire sitting still like household wiring? 13 years is a non issue. Wire that's about 18, 20 0r 22 ga that's in the most used door of a vehicle that's done 250,000 miles with all those openings and closings and all that flexing? Whole different ball game.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Sign up and introduce yourself on a Chevy Silverado forum. Someone has had your issue before. Probably more than one. Truck forums: Dodge, Chevy, Ford, have saved me a bundle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sign up and introduce yourself on a Chevy Silverado forum. Someone has had your issue before. Probably more than one. Truck forums: Dodge, Chevy, Ford, have saved me a bundle.

That's a good idea, thank you. Do you have a link to the forum?

Top Bottom