• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Granted, the kid was coming in. But the ref already hit the deck and the kid then lowered helmet to spear and dove in.
    That was no friggin' accident.
    Make any damn excuse one wants. I won't accept it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh yeah,the honorable fighting " HS back in the day"............ was with fists.
    No curb stomping, arm breaking or other....esp when an opponent was down.
    A wave or nod of submission and the fight was done.

Nobody wore helmets and went to buckle a spinal column.

Fights were one on one.

Well, they were in our demographic.

Within our city.

Moved away after graduation, found some redneck burgs think fighting is a social event, possibly a sport............up to age 40.
    Friggin' idiots.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Their season should be over. I know my son wouldn't play again. Lol, I remember one time when I decided to get mouthy with the referee during an indoor soccer game. Next thing I know, my dad is calmly walking on the field and telling me I'm done for the day, just as soon as I apologized. Major embarrassment, but I never made that mistake again.

No joke...they should be gone from the game forever!

I was a high school biology teacher and Certified Athletic Trainer for 21 years...retired from teaching in 2009 and from Athletic Training in 2011. The mentality of kids now-a-days are waaaaay different than kids from 20+ years ago (and 33 years ago when I graduated!) Our kids (my wife's and I) are being raised 'old-school' with respect for others being a major aspect of their lives! Showing disrespect (or treating someone with disrespect) is always met with an immediate response to correct the disrespectful attitude! And winning (our 3 kids play baseball, soccer, and volleyball) is done with as much grace as is losing a game or match!

Good parenting is the hard thing to find anymore...so many have no understanding (or are not willing to put the effort into) of what parenting is all about. Thankfully, at our church we have educational programs that help men to be better husbands and fathers...what a difference that has made in so many lives! Help the parents to better understand their roles and responsibilities...and the children are impacted positively for years! Thankful to be invited to help facilitate / teach in those classes!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So well after the play? I've watched the video many times, play was still going on.

As for the schools lacking discipline....blame the parents. Teachers can only do so much. At the same time, maybe if parents were allowed to smack and discipline their kids, teachers allowed to paddle their students, there would be more discipline and respect.

Added onto that, I know a lot of "supposed responsible gun owners" that went to high school back in the day and 2 students had an issue with each other, they were allowed to fight after class an no cops were called and nothing ever came form it. You had tensions between 2 people. They got their frustrations out, they moved on.

Not all gun owners think alike. The term "sheeple" gets thrown a round a lot, and the term can go to people on both sides of the fence.

Once again, I've seen team mates and friend carted off the field in stretchers thanks to dirty shots, I've seen injured players stepped on, most of the time a flag wasn't even thrown.

I've seen 2 team mates/friends get in fist fights with each other because of mental stress and exhaustion in practice and after the play, they're great friends again.

I guess no one else here has made an error....ever...especially when they were in high school. No one ever did stupid drag racing that could have killed people. No one ever hit or smacked someone else (cause the right shot in the right place, barely any force, can make someone go blind or cause severe head trauma), and I'm sure none of you drank alcohol when you weren't legal to do so.

Doing stupid stuff in high school is only a recent development I guess

Look.....This was not an error it was a choice.

Heck of a huge difference.

What you are describing is between combatants not a defenseless ref un-aware of what was coming.

Your point has no merit. Those 2 planned and executed this.

Last edited:

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    It is unfortunate to see this behavior. Parents are not teaching their kids respect any more. Too many parents are wanting to be friends with their kids versus being a parent and teaching their kids. If this would have been my kid I can only imagine my reaction. I could see charging these kids with assault, but not felonies. These acts in of themselves do not require ruining these young peoples lives before they even start. Holding them responsible is certainly called for.

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    Texas has fairly stringent laws regarding sports officials. It is my understanding the case has been turned over to the DA. The umpire that was assaulted is on the record as wanting to press charges. FYI,the guy who came in second was a LB. he positioned himself to do this, which pretty much tells that there was a conspiracy involved. Texas is no stranger to high school sports related lawsuits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I will ill also say in my 33 years of officiating, I have NEVER feared for my safety or that of my crew, and yes I've been/knocked down multiple times. Sometimes you just get in a bad spot, at that point you drop your shoulder and do the best you can to defend yourself. I think the alarming aspect is the frequency with which these types of situation are occurring. We have had some significant fights that garnered national attention here in Indiana the last 3-4 years.

Lastly, under Texas law, I believe this would be a class B misdemeanor.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Texas has fairly stringent laws regarding sports officials. It is my understanding the case has been turned over to the DA. The umpire that was assaulted is on the record as wanting to press charges. FYI,the guy who came in second was a LB. he positioned himself to do this, which pretty much tells that there was a conspiracy involved. Texas is no stranger to high school sports related lawsuits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I will ill also say in my 33 years of officiating, I have NEVER feared for my safety or that of my crew, and yes I've been/knocked down multiple times. Sometimes you just get in a bad spot, at that point you drop your shoulder and do the best you can to defend yourself. I think the alarming aspect is the frequency with which these types of situation are occurring. We have had some significant fights that garnered national attention here in Indiana the last 3-4 years.

Lastly, under Texas law, I believe this would be a class B misdemeanor.

Sad that I have to say this, but be safe out there (on the field).... and everywhere else.

Top Bottom