• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A site like INGO exists as an avenue to share information-- both the good and the bad.

Its up to us as the reader to determine if what we read changes our feelings or opinions on the subject matter.

Thanks to the OP for providing the community with a valid data point.

To all the readers of this thread, I would encourage you to seek out all the many other data points available regarding BGF if you're considering whether to shop there or not. Or better yet, stop by and collect the most valuable data point of all-- your own experience. :yesway:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I commend CS for responding the way he did.

I'll continue to go there and probably bring my wife on a range trip because he obviously is professional enough. It could easily have gone the other way.

Places like Elmores, Pops, Don's... they'd NEVER last very long as advertisers on INGO because the management is not batting in the same league as CS's BGF is. They couldn't hang if they tried.

Threads like these ARE constructive. DanV didn't come across as venomous or hateful as he could have. He voiced his discontent.

I hope he (DanV) calls BGF, asks for CS, and has an honest conversation about how BGF made him and his wife feel at that visit.

That's totally reasonable.

Booya

Expert
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    You are right. It is soooo much easier to leave the store, drive to other shops and then come home and hide behind the computer then it would be to ask for a manager or pick up the telephone. :rolleyes: I don't roll that way and I'm sorry if you do.

This thread did NOT accomplish one thing. The complaint was made. BGF found out about it and asked the OP to contact them. No business is going to get into a public pissing match with a member on here and I don't blame them.

We all complain about things on here but I believe it is poor form to start a -1 thread for a business to find. All it does is allow enough time for other members to jump in.:noway:

You're really come off so much tougher then all those people who "hide behind their computers". The point is, if I'm treated rudely it is easier to leave. So what if I complain, I'll get an apology, buy what I need and it's back to business as usual for the store. Complaining in person does less to get anything changed then possible bad publicity does. The threat of losing business exists now, so a change in the positive is likely, where an 8 sec apology would have likely resulted in no change.

This thread has accomplished a lot. A lot of people have chimed in to say what a great place BGF is! On top of that the store ponied up and asked to talk direct another positive point for them. Why on earth would any one get into a pissing match? That's just bad forever one, and you're right I wouldn't do that if I was the store either.

It's not in poor form to notify others if you're treated rudely! If a business gives poor customer service that's that. I see it all over here regarding other businesses (restaurants, movie theaters, malls... Etc. I don't see you coming to their rescue.

This post proves my point. Do you even know one thing about BGF? Are you just going to trust the OP's bad experience?

This proves nothing. More people have said how great it is and give it another chance then have said they'll avoid it based on this. Like it or not, free publicity is still good. Hell, like I said earlier, I've never been to BGF, but now I'll go to find out for myself.

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    In my opinion if you have a place to put positive feedback you should also have a place for negative.Thumbs up for the guy voicing his opinion that gives the business the opportunity to try to correct a problem of having people deal with the public that dont want to.It is obvious to me that there is a problem,and it is his option to deal with it the way he chooses after all it was his money he was attempting to spend.Thanks for the heads up.

rgrimm01

Master
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I like to read these kinds of threads for the same reasons I read product reviews.

I understand that there are people that cannot be satisfied and will always give a negative review.

A negative review on its' own merit therefore means very little to me. When there are several covering the same issue, I take notice.

I found it interesting that the OP was critical of the customer service offered from 2, possibly 3 reps behind the counter. In this instance, it does not sound like it was isolated to one employee, but widespread regardless of the busy day. Orrrr, he could never be satisfied...

I would rather have read a response from the store stating that they were sorry he had a negative experience and that the store would pm him to establish communication to address his concerns. They could have omitted the "what he should have done...".

I am glad that the OP did find and purchase a rifle. Look forward to the range report.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I appreciate the OP posting his experience. I would have done, and have done, the same thing. If faced with staff who have better things to do then provide customer service I just go somewhere else. It is my money and my time and I will spend it as I see fit. I have no inclination to spend a half hour trying to make a business owner understand that his staff is running off the customers. If the OP made thread after thread complaining about this and that then it would be a different matter. I don't think that is the case. I also think it's bad form to correct said customer on the forum. All that being said I would not hesitate to go in the store if I happened to be in the area. It probably just precludes me actually seeking them out. If I want to be treated like crap I'll call my ex wife. :laugh:

giovani

Expert
    Feb 8, 2012
    *The customer is NOT always right*

The old saying "the customer is always right" never meant that the customer was always right.

It means the customer has the money and if you want it you had better treat them right.

giovani

Expert
    Feb 8, 2012
    It matters little what you are selling, in retail the owner/employee should make the first move and not wait for the customer at the counter to ask to see something.

They should ask the customer" can I show you something" , it's just how it's done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It matters little what you are selling, in retail the owner/employee should make the first move and not wait for the customer at the counter to ask to see something.

They should ask the customer" can I show you something" , it's just how it's done.
    Agree with this. That's primarily the reason I don't like going into Elmore's (mentioned above). I've stood at the counter while employees stood at the back of the store chatting with what I assume were friends or regulars that weren't even buying or looking at anything. Not even a "hello" or any type of acknowledgement when I walk in. That's generally been my experience every time.

Klainn

Plinker
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a similar experience on Nov 16. I was in there with a buddy, we had come to pick up some accessories. After standing over the revolver counter about 10 minutes we were finally noticed by one of the gentlemen sitting around reading a magazine behind the counter. He showed me, reluctantly, one of the pieces I was interested in and I looked it over before handing it back. We then went to look for holsters, our reason for going that afternoon, and upon finding what we wanted moved to the cash register. We stood there, product on table, wallets out and open for 15 minutes. Totally ignored by the same gentleman reading a different magazine and someone showing their sister around the shop. A few people were engaged with other customers, but friendly conversation not an actual purchase was being discussed. After 15 minutes we put our items back and left. That will be the last time we or any of our buddies will be in the shop. I am a firm believer that the goal of any retail business is to make money and that it's not the customers job to push the salesmen to take your money. I had high hopes for BFG and the new range because they are my local gun shop and that's where I'd rather my money go, but this was simply rude and not a local business I wish to support.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The customer is not always right, but they have hard earned money, so you damned well better make them want to spend it with you.

Every transaction has a line where it is no longer good business. The market will dictate how that all works out.

Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    You are right. It is soooo much easier to leave the store, drive to other shops and then come home and hide behind the computer then it would be to ask for a manager or pick up the telephone. :rolleyes: I don't roll that way and I'm sorry if you do.

You may not roll that way, but most people do and most people understand that that is the norm. Do good, the customer might tell a few people. Do bad, the customer will likely tell 10+ people. Either way, the customer will rarely directly tell you about an experience in the same detail as they tell others because most people want to avoid confrontation. :dunno:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Jan 20, 2009
    Gotta take the good with the bad here. In all things there must be balance.

There have been plenty of threads where BGF has received positive feedback on here. Why then should it be so out of line for someone to post a negative experience as well?

I personally don't have a problem with the OP's post. If all they did was keep that negative experience in house with the offending party then all you would see on a forum such as this would be the positive. I would prefer to see both sides of the coin and make my own decision on whether or not to patronize a certain establishment :twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have stayed quiet hear because I felt that this thread was heading more towards bashing and I don't want any part of that. It seems that it is now centered on constructive criticism. I truly want BGF to succeed and hope that this thread will be utilized to better customer service.

Now my input for what it's worth. BGF is probably my least favorite gun store at which to shop. The few times I have been in the store whether I am making a purchase or not I feel like I have been an inconvenience to whomever is waiting on me. It seems that they have their favorite customers and if you want something than you are taking time away from them. I'm not one to go unnoticed and if no one asks to help me I ask for help. Comments from the sales staff such as "I really don't know anything about handguns, I am shopping for my first one too"( young lady staff) kind of made my ears perk up. I don't need to be sucked up too ( think Pretty Woman) but genuine interest and respect are a great start.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom