1st CCW - err on the side of larger or smaller?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    For a first CCW, when you can afford only one, would you err on the side of a larger or smaller pistol?

After handling these extensively, I am weighing the pros and cons of the Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Ruger SR9c and Glock 19. Obviously, dimensions and capacity vary greatly. Considering I can purchase only one, I want to choose one that will be most versatile.

I am a fairly big guy, and work in a professional office setting prohibiting in-office carrying. So, primary carry will be in my vehicle during the work week, and after hours/weekend in both business professional and recreational clothes. Though I know many people effectively conceal larger pistols, I fear my size and wardrobe may present some restrictions. I must also consider how much I would have to alter my wardrobe. My "ideal" choice for 1 pistol as CCW and home use would be the Glock 19, but I am fearful it might be too large. However, I know that the smaller I go, the more sacrifices are made. I am simply undecided.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have similar carry struggles and how you have effectively handled them.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    For a first CCW, when you can afford only one, would you err on the side of a larger or smaller pistol?

After handling these extensively, I am weighing the pros and cons of the Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Ruger SR9c and Glock 19. Obviously, dimensions and capacity vary greatly. Considering I can purchase only one, I want to choose one that will be most versatile.

I am a large guy, and work in a professional office setting where I cannot carry inside, so primary carry will be in vehicle during the week and on in both professional and recreational dress on nights and weekends. I know largers pistols can be effectively concealed, but I must also consider how much I would have to alter my wardrobe to do so. Many of these issue cause me to lean toward something much smaller, but I am then concerned about giving up controlability and capacity. I am simply undecided.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have similar carry restrictions and how you have effectively handled them.

Most versatile would be the Glock 19. It's a jack of all trades. And assuming you are carrying IWB or on your waist in some capacity - I think it's a better move than a 26 given what you described here - because as a larger guy, the 19 is going to be easy to conceal. You'll appreciate the bigger grip too.

Most important thing though: TRAINING. Get PROFESSIONAL training. Concealed carry is a complex topic and gunfights are NOT what people think they will be. So you have to train. Big time.

Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks for your comments. I'm curious how to best conceal a larger pistol IWB, however. I often hear people say it is easier for a larger person to conceal a larger gun, but I honestly don't see it. IWB can be uncomfortable in some positions, meaning I would need to go to a thinner pistol, or to baggier clothes, which would be awkward or unpresentable in some situations. So, I'm not sure how to address it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for your comments. I'm curious how to best conceal a larger pistol IWB, however. I often hear people say it is easier for a larger person to conceal a larger gun, but I honestly don't see it. IWB can be uncomfortable in some positions, meaning I would need to go to a thinner pistol, or to baggier clothes, which would be awkward or unpresentable in some situations. So, I'm not sure how to address it.

I think you will find it easier than you believe.

I have successfully concealed a sub-compact Springfield XD40 in-waistband while wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt/tie. My jacket was off, and I was moving around plenty. I've found that it is the grip length and thickness that are the hardest to work around, not the slide length. With the proper holster, and some attention to your wardrobe, these can be dealt with.

If you can ONLY have one gun, and it MUST be concealed regardless of what you are wearing, then you might be stuck with the little pocket-sized versions.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I myself am a bigger guy and have had the Ruger SR9c and Glock 19. While I liked the Glock it was just too wide to carry IWB very comfortably.I ended up with the SR9c which was thinner,shot just as well and worked great for IWB carry. I've found that it's best to spare no expense in a IWB holster if you plan to carry much at all. I must admit though that when I had my Keltec PF9,it won out over all other guns for my EDC weapon.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would get a compact version of a full size gun, i.e. M&P9C. That's what I carry because I have big hands. It is the perfect blend of concealment and accuracy/shootability for me. I have an LCP, but don't like to shoot it at all, and only really use it as a BUG.

:twocents:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    For IWB I prefer Kholster.com, not pretty but VERY comfortable. For your pistol choice you can't go wrong with a Glock 19, personally I would stick with a Gen 3 for the immediate future.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I see you're new to CCW but you don't specify how much experience you have with firearms so I'll share my thoughts for both novice and intermediate shooters. I'm also a big guy myself (6'1", 260 lbs.) and I can tell you that with a good belt and holster none of these choices will be difficult to conceal, some will just be easier than others.

For a novice shooter I think a mid sized pistol in an intermediate caliber that is simple and reliable is the best choice. As you get more experience you can deviate from the size, caliber and simplicity but never the reliability.

The Glock 19 meets all of the criteria mentioned above and for many it's the "Goldilock gun". This is also the largest of the pistols you mentioned making it more of a challenge to conceal than the others but it's by no means difficult to do. For a novice shooter or a more advanced shooter who doesn't need a "hideout gun" this would be my first choice.

If you have a bit more experience and need to carry more discretely then consider the Glock 26. It's super reliable and simple but is smaller and easier to conceal than it's bigger counterpart. As such it has a shorter grip and sight radius making it a little more challenging to hit what you aiming at.

For a more intermediate shooter I think the Kahr would be a good choice. Still super simple but even smaller than the Glock 26. My experience with Kahr 9mm's has been very good after breaking it in with 200 rounds. This model also conceals nicely in the front pocket of most of my pants. If you are an intermediate shooter and need to be extremely discreet then this would be my choice.

The Rugers you mentioned are the "youngest" of the designs and as such have less street-cred than the others. Ruger however has an excellent reputation and I understand thier customer service is great should you need to use them.

I see the LC9 and SR9c as more of an intermediate shooters gun. This is primarily because of the manual safety that makes them a little more complicated to bring to bear. (The other guns are simply point and shoot.) But if they appeal to you by all means get them. Just be aware that you will have to put in a little more training on your presentation to develop the muscle memory to disengage the safety. As for concealability the LC9 is about the same as the Kahr and although the SR9c falls between the two Glocks in size I have heard that it is surprisingly concealable rivaling the Glock 26.

Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I have the Glock 19 & 26 and if I had to pick one for my first handgun it would be the 26. It is small enough to easily conceal, and you can easily add magazine extensions or buy Glock 19 or 17 magazines if you wanted more capacity for home defense.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    My first gun was a G27, the first purchase I made accessory wise, was the magazines for it's larger siblings, it's fairly easy to make a small Glock bigger compared to the other way round.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    From your initial thoughts, I would stay w/ the Glock 19.

Just my :twocents: but the main factors for me are:

1) can I carry it in such a fashion that I am likely to have it when I need it

2) am I comfortable enough handling the firearm that I can let my body do its part and take the shot should it ever be required

For the first item (as has been mentioned above) the holster and belt will play a huge role in your ability to conceal it but it is definitely workable without too much change to most work outfits.

OTOH, if you have a side job w/ Chippendales, you will probably need more substantial modifications to your wardrobe.

As long as the first item is addressed, it sounds like your preference for my second question would be the Glock 19

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The most veristile would be the G26. If you are looking for CC than you can carry it with the flush fitting 10 rd mag. If you want to have a larger capicity/grip than you can always use the G19 or G17 mag in it with a grip extension.

As was said it is easy to make a small Glock bigger but you can't easily make a big Glock smaller.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    It doesn't matter.

1. It is a matter of the platform, not the weapon. Quality holster AND a quality belt.

2. It is not to be comfortable, but comforting.

i agree and i would like to add to this by saying i have a g19, g26, and kahr p380. I bought the g26 first with the same questions you are asking, thinking it would be the best of both worlds. While i love the 26 i later got the 19 and havent even considered the 26 because i like the 19 that much more. That being said i usually end up carrying my kahr 380 because its soooooooo comfy. I wish it were a pm9 though. I know it i could do it all over I would probably buy a kahr pm9/cm9 first for carry and use it as home defense as well until i could afford to buy the glock 19 and then use that at home and carry it some in colder months but mostly still carry the kahr. There is a big difference in comfort IMO when carrying these two IWB. You will forget the kahr is there and the glock u wont. The OP was right by saying the holster makes the world of difference. dont go buy a 10 dollar holster because it will give u 10 dollar comfort. I have had good success with pjholster.com and they are only 45$ shipped .
    good luck
    I would go pm9 then save and get the g19 later or vice versa

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I used to carry a full sized 9mm, but since the compact 9mm's have come out I finally ended up with an SR9c. It is thinner than some of the others and still gives me 10+1.
    An absolute must is a comfortable holster. I like the Crossbreed SuperTuck for IWB, good luck.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    With the proper holster, almost any handgun can be carried concealed. A good quality IWB holster, with the proper shirt covering it, will simply make a handgun disappear. A certain INGO member I know (yes, you Jetgirl), carries her Kimber 45 IWB and you simply cannot see it when her shirt is covering it.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

I am a fairly big guy, and work in a professional office setting prohibiting in-office carrying. So, primary carry will be in my vehicle during the work week, and after hours/weekend in both business professional and recreational clothes. Though I know many people effectively conceal larger pistols, I fear my size and wardrobe may present some restrictions. I must also consider how much I would have to alter my wardrobe. My "ideal" choice for 1 pistol as CCW and home use would be the Glock 19, but I am fearful it might be too large. However, I know that the smaller I go, the more sacrifices are made. I am simply undecided.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have similar carry struggles and how you have effectively handled them.

You are correct that the G19 would be the most versatile. However, given some of your parameters, I would suggest looking at thinner gun that is a bit larger than a thicker gun that is a bit smaller. Thus, the Kahr CW9 or TP9 would be the guns I would look at. The TP9 for example is 8+1, so it is close to the G26 in capacity. Yet the thinner profile would conceal more easily than the G26 and you would have a larger grip and longer sight radius too.

Anyway, with your typical clothing choices, a thinner pistol will work better because it will sit closer to your body, which largely negates any posible downside, concealment-wise, of a longer grip.

That being said, I used to carry a G19 in similar types of clothing and had no issues really.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Carry what you're competent with. What you know is reliable and you can shoot well. Carrying a stainless steel, govt size 1911 isn't easy to get used to, but if that's what you're good with, you can do it every day and no one will ever know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd purchase the 19. If you then later find you need something smaller the 26 is a good complement to the 19, as it can share mags, holsters, etc.

I have had Glocks for many years (21/30 combo), and purchased a 27 a couple of years ago. II did the opposite of what I am recommending as I recently purchased a 23, and I can carry the 23 about as easily in my Galco King Tuk IWB as I can the 27, and I can definitely shoot the 23 better. If I had purchased the 23 first, I likely would not have purchased the 27.

Recoil may not be a major factor with the 26 vs the 19 as it seems to be with the 27 vs the 23, but I will also say that gun manipulations (holster/unholster/load/unload/racking slide, etc) are much easier with the 23 than the 27.

I'm considering a 19 as my next purchase.

Either way you will need a good holster and belt.

I personally carry somewhere in the 4:30 to 5:30 position when carrying IWB, and find it not to be an issue, even when driving.

You could also take a look at some of the M&P's. The M&P 9c might be viable.

APB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    I have carried a few different guns, but I just got a S&W 9MM Shield and it is a great carrying IWB.

Top Bottom