1st CCW - err on the side of larger or smaller?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm an average size guy. I carry a Glock 30, which is the about the same size as the 19, in my front pocket. I have a holster to break up the lines of the gun.
    It's been a very comfortable way for me to carry and no one knows I carry a gun unless I tell them.

If your thinking about a 19, I would consider a 23 or the 27. Same size more power.

IMO you being able to only get one gun is not so much of a bad thing. I use my G30 for 99 percent of everything from ccw to home defensive. I know this gun like on other. Should I have to use it, I know exactly what to expect.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glock 19 is an excellent choice. It can be concealed as easily as the G26 and gives a better grip, especially important for a guy with big hands. It is currently selling for $489-503 on Gunbroker.com (Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com).

The Taurus 24/7 Pro, which is comparable to the G19, is currently selling on the same site for about $100 less (Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com).

The Taurus can be obtained used for $300. Just check the classifieds on INGO. If you do that, you would have enough left to purchase a Taurus 709 Slim for another $300 (again used; just check the classifieds.) You could adjust your EDC for you specific situation. When deep concealment is important, carry the 709; other times, carry the 24/7. I sold off my G26 in favor of the Taurii.

Whether I carry Taurus or Glock, I found the High Noon Split Decision an excellent holster (Split Decision: High Noon Holsters). This is a tuckable holster so I am able to conceal it when I have to remove my suit/sport coat. As a Christian minister I have to conceal on Sunday. This holster conceals in comfort.

P.S. The Taurus bashers will follow this post with many warnings about Taurus quality. I had a problem with my 709 because the INGOer who sold it to me did not inform me that it was malfunctioning. Taurus fixed it under warranty at no cost to me. The 24/7 has been flawless. Both pistols now eat all factory-loaded ammo and fire first time, every time.

Hope this helps.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm 6ft@160LB and carry a full sized 1911 IWB every single day, all day. And it stays deeply concealed without a problem.

As has been previously stated, the means of carry is almost more important than the weapon, and you must be willing to sacrifice some degree of comfort. I've tried pocket guns but realized my draw speed made them worthless to even have them on me. There isn't enough grip on those things for me to get a solid grip on it while drawing.

Smaller is better to a point, I think slimmer is infinitely better than smaller. This is why I carry a 1911 with slim grips. It's as slim as some of these pocket guns. The thickness is the only factor I've noticed really does make a difference in whether something is even tolerable to carry.

The mid sized glocks are all fine and good, I think a 19 would be fine for anyone to manage. The 26 I can't draw for crap with. YMMV, but look into a crossbreed holster rig or something of the type.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just a whole bunch of us have gone thru all of this and more than a few have spent some serious money reinventing the wheel. But, in the end, we're all a bit different and that make it nearly impossible to say "I do this, so it'll work for you, too."

My thoughts on this are: What is the smallest 9mm or larger pistol you feeel is comfortable in your hand? How well can/do you shoot it? IWB may well require at least one size increase, if not two, in your sizing to accomodate that mode of carry. So, if you don't carry are they gonna look like clown pants? Mine did and I too have to wear suits or coat & tie. So, I went to OWB using a holster that I do not have to thread thru a belt. But, that's what works for me.

I'm not dinky, 6' / 220, and I carry a PM9 when dressed for success. And when dressed casually, I can sometime carry it in my pocket. In short, what's going to work best for you may take some experimenting. Good luck.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just a whole bunch of us have gone thru all of this and more than a few have spent some serious money reinventing the wheel. But, in the end, we're all a bit different and that make it nearly impossible to say "I do this, so it'll work for you, too."

I believe the biggest issue is that people need to commit to it.

No matter how uncomfortable, annoying, or self consciously concerning it may be.

Every time you hit that door, have that gun on you, no excuses. After you establish this mind set your wallet will thank you.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I enjoy shooting semi-autos, but for carry I want something which I feel I can count on 99.999999% of the time. I'll just continue to march with my Smith & Wesson Model 642 loaded with Buffalo Bore .38 Special lead semi-wadcutter hollow points. :D

Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Thank you all for your comments. Such a hard decision for me... :dunno:

I have a S&W 3913, and until early this week a Taurus PT111, and am easily proficient with pistols their size and smaller. I would consider them my benchmarks in that anything smaller generally becomes a sacrifice in the name of concealability. One issue I keep hearing however is that people regularly underestimate the impact of size and comfort of what they intend to carry. I understand that adapting and giving up some comfort is involved, but there is a line that is crossed when uncomfortable = not carrying regularly.

So, my dilemma is whether I should begin with something smaller than I might initially choose, and get used to carrying regularly and it becoming a part of my habit. If I found it workable to increase size, I could then upgrade, but would at least have something I could easily carry every day.

Also, someone whose name indicated "Glock Certified Armorer" suggested I stick with the Glock gen3 for the immediate future. I am curious if there is any special "behind-the-scenes" knowledge driving that question. My main draws to the Glock now (which I did not have before) are the ambi mag release, new checkering and slightly shorter trigger reach. I held off on getting one before, but these new features have sold me. I hear complaints about them like I do about every other gun I have considered, but in the end am not aware of any hard evidence convincing me I need to be leary of them.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I would say lean on the side of smaller with the idea that you will actually carry it. I have seen a lot of people buy guns for carry that never end up carrying it because they don't feel comfortable. As you get more comfortable carrying, you will naturally feel like you can carry something a little bigger each time. A 5 shot snubbie in your pocket is better than the 1911 in your nightstand.

The main thing is to practice, get very comfortable with, and know the limitations of the gun you choose to carry.

Also, don't listen to the people saying the Gen3 Glocks are better than the Gen4's. :D

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm a pretty good sized fella as well. I carry an XD9SC in a Tagua for CC and use a Serpa Blackhawk for OC. Because of the size of my hands, I put a Pearce extension on the short mag to help with control. Ammo is Hornady Critical Defense rounds. It's certainly something to consider.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    I believe the biggest issue is that people need to commit to it.

No matter how uncomfortable, annoying, or self consciously concerning it may be.

Every time you hit that door, have that gun on you, no excuses. After you establish this mind set your wallet will thank you.

I agree with this.
    However from my limited experience the easier and more comfortable it is to carry the weapon the easier it is to commit to doing so.
    Plus when just starting to carry you have the worry of people noticing, the gun printing etc.
    A smaller platform weapon makes it easier to grow accustomed to carrying in public simply because it easier to hide it.
    When I started carrying I would often use my P22 as a carry weapon just because it was some much thinner and lighter then my 9000s. Not worrying about the weapon printing helped me gain confidence at carrying one. Eventually I was able to switch to the larger bulkier weapon and today I am not so concerned about it. Personally I am glad I had a smaller weapon option to begin with.

Top Bottom