• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, because I'm an addict, I bought a new 1911 this weekend. And while completing the purchase (Springfield TRP) I grabbed some ammo. Since I had brass at home and current .45 prices make me sick, I grabbed a box of Tula. The man behind the counter was abhorred that I would shoot that stuff through a nice 1911. Here is my issue: 1) If I'm buying a nice gun it damn well better shoot anything I put through it, 2) I don't buy the corrosive bit of steel cased cheap ammo--clean your gun you'll be fine, 3) I don't buy nice firearms to treat them like babies. Guns are made to shoot, and shoot them I will! So thoughts anyone? Is there ammo you refuse to run through that nice gun, whatever it may be?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    MY SA Range Officer and Prvi 230gr FMJ:

SARO.jpg

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I admit that I am a ammo snob. Speer, Federal, and Underwood is all I will use now. I have used Winchester (10mm) in the past with good results but since I found Underwood there is no need for Winchester.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't use the cheap stuff to break it in. It's not a good measure of your gun and any problems will have the "unknown cause" with it.
    I've shot the Tula in some of my "bargain" 1911s with horrible results

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I feed steel case through my glocks sigs and even hk's but the 1911s I can't bring myself to try it. Fortunately I have enough 45acp at home I don't have to but I don't see what it could hurt. Extractors

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    My 1911 will eat anything I feed it. I broke it in with about 250 rounds of this nasty cheap ammo that was bare lead and I could have sworn it was loaded with black powder from all the smoke it produced. Didn't have a single hiccup with my Auto Ordnance.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd want to know any firearm of mine has any quirks.

An AR as well as a 1911 that wont run well on steel cased ammo is worthless to me.

If either can't be tuned to feed and fire reliably, off it goes. I have a cz97b that hated wide mouthed hp ammo. I had to buy a revised barrel, but it was worth the expense.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

An AR as well as a 1911 that wont run well on steel cased ammo is worthless to me.

If either can't be tuned to feed and fire reliably, off it goes. I have a cz97b that hated wide mouthed hp ammo. I had to buy a revised barrel, but it was worth the expense.

Agreed. If you have to feed something certain ammo to make it work, it isn't worth having.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually do not run steel cased ammo in my 1911s. I do shoot it through my Glock, AR or other guns. I have shot a couple thousand rounds of lead reloads through tne 45 1911. Dirty but work fine as range fodder. I have only a small amount of factory ammo and will be swiching completely to reloads soon. .

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't use the cheap stuff to break it in. It's not a good measure of your gun and any problems will have the "unknown cause" with it.
    I've shot the Tula in some of my "bargain" 1911s with horrible results

No worries, the gun was used. I agree though, I don't use steel cased ammo to break anything in specifically because of worrying about the cause of any failures.

My 1911 will eat anything I feed it. I broke it in with about 250 rounds of this nasty cheap ammo that was bare lead and I could have sworn it was loaded with black powder from all the smoke it produced. Didn't have a single hiccup with my Auto Ordnance.

Yep, that's been my experience with my previous 1911;s

:yesway:

Agreed. If you have to feed something certain ammo to make it work, it isn't worth having.

:yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For range work, I'll shoot just about anything I can get my hands on with the big exception being someone else's reloads. If they offer to let me try their gun, I have no issue running their ammo, and when I offer to let someone try my gun, it's often with my reloads but other than that, I shoot my own reloads only. But I'll try just about anything commercial for range work. As mentioned above, I want to know what my gun likes and does not like. So far, the only issue I've had with cheap ammo is a S&W M&P15 that would not cycle Wolf steel case ammo.

For carry though, I stick to known entities like Hornady Critical Duty, Speer GoldDots or Federal HSTs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not a snob just a bit picky. I have seen issues with steel in others guns so I choose not to run it. I have ran Blazer alum. in the past but not any more for no particular reason.
    We have been able to keep the ammo shelves fairly well stocked so we only run decent "Boolites"

Moorephine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    Steel case will cause a bit more wear on certain parts but other than that as long as you clean it shouldn't be a problem. I'm with LEaSH if you gun won't shoot anything you feed it then it's not that good of a gun in my opinion. That being said, I do prefer brass cases

Top Bottom