• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Anyone have any good suggestions on a quality entry level 1911 and what ammo to pair with it?

I bought a SA Range Officer as my first 1911. It was highly recommended by a person that I trust, when I asked about an entry level target 1911 with good value. I have not been disappointed.

I shoot light lead handloads. 185grain SWC over 3.5gr Bullseye. Extremely accurate pistol. What ammo you use depends on the intended use.

Les

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    It's no fun to have a Girlfriend or a wife who is a picky eater, so why settle for less in a gun, especially for the range?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's no fun to have a Girlfriend or a wife who is a picky eater, so why settle for less in a gun, especially for the range?

Hell, my pistolas ain't picky at all. It's me that's the picky prick.
    I practice with my SD ammo. Same as I carry for my protection is what I shoot for practice. I'm a snob, anal, picky, and selective. My ways are my own I guess. But I like it that way...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only handgun that I have run steel cased anything through is my wifes PF-9. Not really because of any objections to it, just always had brass cased available, and I reload my own.

My AR has had issues with the steel wolf ammo I have tried, accuracy is just fine, just had difficulty cycling the bolt with it. The only thing I can think is that it wasnt making enough gas volume to cycle the action. Velocity was consistent with the Federal FMJ that I was shooting that day. Perhaps it was just an issue of the bolt carrier not being fully broken in. Who knows, I have a supply of bras to reload, and reloads tend to give me better accuracy anyway...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Last spring I picked up a couple of boxes of .45 for around $15 a box. It was while down in North Carolina visiting my nephew at Ft Bragg and we were going to go shooting while down there. We never did get to the range and when I got home, I realized the ammo was aluminum cased. I had not even thought to check when I bought it. To be honest, I enjoyed shooting those two boxes more than normal later on knowing I did not have to chase brass when done.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    not a great pic but you get the idea, My Kimber Grand Raptor II with a some nice Tula steel cased , some of its usual diet

ogjpk1.jpg

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My 1911 will eat anything I feed it. I broke it in with about 250 rounds of this nasty cheap ammo that was bare lead and I could have sworn it was loaded with black powder from all the smoke it produced. Didn't have a single hiccup with my Auto Ordnance.

+1. Heck, I've even loaded up my 1911 with some reloads with GOEX FFg. Now THAT will get some looks! (and yes, it was cleaned throughly soon after!) (and yes, I DO need some pics!)

ol' poke

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    +1. Heck, I've even loaded up my 1911 with some reloads with GOEX FFg. Now THAT will get some looks! (and yes, it was cleaned throughly soon after!) (and yes, I DO need some pics!)

ol' poke

A buddy of mine did that with some sporting clays loads. Dropped one into the bow that a friend was shooting from that day, and stood back and waited. I wasnt there unfortunately, but I guess that one caused a bit of excitement when it went off, lol...

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tula sometimes don't cut the chamfer in the case it's just a groove plays hell on extractors

Top Bottom