• ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    North East INDIANER!
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and looking at getting my first 1911. Would like some information on various makers. I'd like to stay under 850 if I can, but being my first handgun buy I willing to go over due to this will become a lifetime keeper. Leaning right now to the Springfield Range Officer, but its at the top of my price range.

Three main features I'm looking for in a 1911 is:

1.) Ambidextrous Safety, I'm a South Paw. and yes I'm aware of 1911 safety features.
    2.) Adjustable rear sight.

3.) .45 ACP its a 1911 not a airsoft gun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield Range officer or equivalent. Possibly a used loaded Springer. These are great guns.

Welcome to ingo.

Last edited:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Although I'm partial to a Colt, I would say a Springfield Armory would be just fine. Lifetime Warranty and generally great running guns.

Congrats ahead of time - you won't regret picking a 1911 up. Chances are, it won't be your last. :D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Welcome to INGO and a future welcome to 1911s anonymous.

For your price range Ive seen new Sig 1911s around there. If you would bump it up to 1k then it would open up a few more doors.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    STI Spartan.

Get it from Dawson and ask them to install the ambies and perhaps their front sight on it before it ships to you.

It has an adjustable rear from the factory and it will be fit better than anything else you can buy at its price point.

I bet you can get gun with ambies and even a new set of grips and a few magazines for $850.

deerslayer74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    North East INDIANER!
    Raising my price range is only a matter of waiting lol problem is I have little patience. Still waiting on my license to return from the state, seems they are taking their time. My father is going to allow me to carry any of his guns until I make a purchase. Current options are:

Colt Woodsman .22 which is dads baby
    .357 mag. which is a tough carry
    a 7 shot .22 revolver which more than like will be my carry until I find my gun

I know a 22 is small but any carry is better than no carry.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Also, if you have a local FFL, any FFL can order direct from STI and you'll still get it at the $630ish or whatever it costs.

Also, if you want me to fit the ambies for you, I can do it sometime at a NWI event or something, but I go to school in Iowa so I'm not home all the time. But either way, fitting a set of safeties is no big deal, just takes some time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 2 1911's one is a LSI and the other is a RIA. Both are in the $500 dollar range new. I bought the RIA a few weeks ago new for $475 and the guy tossed in a box of ammo. If you can afford a expencive one go for it, But I would buy what you can afford. You can't go wrong with a 1911!

Last edited:

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I have an STI spartanV and like it. people will tell you its made in the Philippians and all that but it has been flawless for me. also you will be around 200 bucks off you max price leaving room for the ambi safety and some ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welcome to INGO and a future welcome to 1911s anonymous.

For your price range Ive seen new Sig 1911s around there. If you would bump it up to 1k then it would open up a few more doors.

As soon as I posted I knew you were lurking about with the Sig thing. I need to shoot one of those and see what they are about......................:D

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Springer has the best :shoot: for your $$$, IMO

I have owned several different makes / models of 1911 (Llama thru Colt), but for carry I would suggest a 3" or 4"... 4" is a sweet spot for size vs controlled recoil... consider a Springfield Champion, too.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Raising my price range is only a matter of waiting lol problem is I have little patience. Still waiting on my license to return from the state, seems they are taking their time. My father is going to allow me to carry any of his guns until I make a purchase. Current options are:

Colt Woodsman .22 which is dads baby
    .357 mag. which is a tough carry
    a 7 shot .22 revolver which more than like will be my carry until I find my gun

I know a 22 is small but any carry is better than no carry.

Don't carry without a license. Congrats on a gread 1911 choice. I'm a TRP guy, but ai love all guns.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Springfield has what you are looking for:yesway:, of course SA takes up the most room in my vault, changed to poly (XD series) when 1911 got kinda price heavy, no regrets xd's and xdm's are great wepons:ar15:

deerslayer74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    North East INDIANER!
    Springfield has what you are looking for:yesway:, of course SA takes up the most room in my vault, changed to poly (XD series) when 1911 got kinda price heavy, no regrets xd's and xdm's are great wepons:ar15:

Had originally looked into the XDm I have a buddys dad that own ones got to shoot it a couple weeks back nice gun, shoots well I bet in one session i put 200 through it, just like the look an feel of 1911 to much

Top Bottom