• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    You get what you pay for. Les Baer gives you a lot of bang for your buck. Its done and you can shoot it rather than always wanting to upgrade a cheaper gun that never ends.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep save. In a 4.25" 1911 I would suggest your looking at te Ruger SR1911cmd or the Smith & Wesson E series.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Ive changed my mind, I think if i were you id purchase that RIA, Its a great entry level 1911 that will teach u valuable things.
    when u get that higher priced 1911 u'll already know ur way around.
    Buy the RIA!!! can always sell it or keep for a beater.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Im in the same boat as the OP. Its between the newer RIA tac midsize (4.25") and the SR1911 CMD. Held both, the ruger seemed to be better quality but $100 more. It will be my first 1911, so I believe its a good base to learn the platform.

The only cons of the Ruger is the front sight breaking off eventually. But that can be replaced with a night sight.

The RIA, or the new 2011 model does look sweet, no gaudy billboard on the slide. Comes with fiber optic front sight and vz grips.

Rock Island Armory 51488 TAC 2011 VZ Midsize 8+1 45ACP 4.25"

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Im in the same boat as the OP. Its between the newer RIA tac midsize (4.25") and the SR1911 CMD. Held both, the ruger seemed to be better quality but $100 more. It will be my first 1911, so I believe its a good base to learn the platform.

The only cons of the Ruger is the front sight breaking off eventually. But that can be replaced with a night sight.

The RIA, or the new 2011 model does look sweet, no gaudy billboard on the slide. Comes with fiber optic front sight and vz grips.

Rock Island Armory 51488 TAC 2011 VZ Midsize 8+1 45ACP 4.25"

Why would the front sight break off? Pretty sure they are using Novaks. The Rugers feel and look like well built guns. I shoot with a guy that is running one in lcal USPSA matches just to test one out. So far I am impressed.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    As several others suggested, look at the Ruger if you want an inexpensive 1911. They look like decent guns. All the Rugers I own have been well built. I have not had any of their CF semi-autos, though. The only thing I don't like about Ruger 1911s is the lack of checkering on the front strap. Never thought about it much a few years ago, but now it is a must have for my 1911s. It just gives a much better grip. The last 1911 I bought was a S&W PC1911, 5". Well worth the money.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Why would the front sight break off? Pretty sure they are using Novaks. The Rugers feel and look like well built guns. I shoot with a guy that is running one in lcal USPSA matches just to test one out. So far I am impressed.

There was a bad batch of pistols that had inferior designed front sights. Apparently Ruger replaced every gun that had this issue, no questions asked. Just looking at the facts (pictures) that Ive seen/read.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Again...springer range officer 4" when it is released...compares very similar to a Wilson, but not as fancy. If they released it in a 9mm and 45, I'd have both.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Ruger for the win... A buddy of mine just had to send his RIA in shortly after buying it for a parts failure. RIAs arent worth it IMHO, but a Ruger DEFINITELY is. I would consider the Rugers the best entry level 1911 out there... a good balance of cost and quality.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Again...springer range officer 4" when it is released...compares very similar to a Wilson, but not as fancy. If they released it in a 9mm and 45, I'd have both.

Are there plans for a commander sized Range Officer? Seems like a 4" gun with big ol adjustable sights sort of defeats the purpose.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I agree with the get a good 1911. I purchased a Springfield Range Officer as my first 1911. I shot great right out of the box but got better after 200 rounds. I had Churchmouse do a trigger job on it and wow what a difference it made.

It is a sickness though. I bought one and within six months I now have three. Two Springfield's and one Colt :spend::spend:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Are there plans for a commander sized Range Officer? Seems like a 4" gun with big ol adjustable sights sort of defeats the purpose.

Well by golly what do you know. I googled it and TTAG had a picture of a Range Officer compact. Well add that to my list.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Save and get the SIG because honestly they are about the same price as a kimber and the parts are generally better. The only "downside" is SIG uses and external extractor but I think the external extractor is better IMHO. Plus the SIG comes with night sights and the C3 model has a carry melt done to it as well.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Buy once cry once. If you get a beater 1911, you'll end up thinking you need a million different "upgrades..."

When, it's still a cheap beater 1911 even with those upgrades. Slapping rims on a chevette does not make it a ferrari. Some people tend to forget, frame and slide materials are the heart and soul of the firearm.

I'd recommend an S&W first for what you're specifically wanting, followed by a kimber, then a springfield. You said you want a commander, ally frame, with nightsights.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    The Les Baer Custom is a full size 1911, it shoots straight and accurate right out from the box. Best one I have ever own. It beats the Colt Gold Cup.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If you want the RIA then get it and enjoy it for what it is and don't dump money into it that you won't get back . If you really like 1911 then soon enough you will buy another one. I have 19 1911's and not one colt and I don't feel like I missing out on anything.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Buy the Ruger! I own stock! I do have a confession to make: although I have a couple of really nice middle-end 1911s now, back in the days I had to scrounge, I bought a Llama POS that I can't fire left handed because the slide lock bounces off my trigger finger and catches frequently. Do look at the Para's before whatever Remington is doing gets done. I guess the Canadian ones were kind of hit & miss (see what I did there?) but I got a couple of good ones. I've tried carrying other things, but keep going back to that 3.5" P12. Cute little thing, but it carries 13 cans of .45ACP woopass and locks P14 mags for followup. What were we talking about again?

Top Bottom