• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well.....just to make a point, I have 40 Wilson 48 series mags in my range case. I also have 30 Chip McCormick 10 round mags.
    Yes, the Wilsons do work. No mage related issues at all.

I am sure those who run other good brands will say the same of their choice.
    Oh, I am not Whoring the marque just stating my personal experiences.
    I've had very good luck with Metalform magazines. They make a lot of different ones. This is the version that I use: Metalform - .45 1911 Standard (7 Round)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    All mags aren't made identical. I can feel a difference when the round chambers with different mags. I gots to go with the Mouse Mod on the Wilson and CM mags.
    That being said, I don't have any of the newer CM mags. I haven't bought one in about 5 years maybe?
    Years ago I would run CM mags only. No trouble out of them BUT loading the Wilsons always seems less of a chore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All mags aren't made identical. I can feel a difference when the round chambers with different mags. I gots to go with the Mouse Mod on the Wilson and CM mags.
    That being said, I don't have any of the newer CM mags. I haven't bought one in about 5 years maybe?
    Years ago I would run CM mags only. No trouble out of them BUT loading the Wilsons always seems less of a chore.

I have the extended 10 round CM's with the molded rubber bumper that seats into the mag well in a positive manner. It holds the longer mag in place. I like them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Brand whoring Wilson in every 1911 discussion.... go figure. What you're trying to say is don't use cheap magazines. I highly doubt Dan Wesson (CZ) is distributing junk with these: https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/20029_Dw-45-Acp-Mag-8-Rd-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Base

Wilson mags are about the same price point.....

Most of the time I "brand whore" Dan Wesson very rarely do I pimp Wilson Combat. But for magazines I do, the mags that came with my VBOB and ECO were OK but had issues, switched to Wilson mags and no problems super simple

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Most of the time I "brand whore" Dan Wesson very rarely do I pimp Wilson Combat. But for magazines I do, the mags that came with my VBOB and ECO were OK but had issues, switched to Wilson mags and no problems super simple
    Now that's useful. Someone with the same part also having problems really does point to the brand.....

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    One of the first things I consider when looking at a new rifle or pistol is how much do additional magazines cost? It's the reason My co-worker has 2-3 mags for his FAL and I have 80 for my PTR clone. After dropping $1k on a firearm, I'm just kicking myself while I'm down to spend another $20-$30 a pop on additional magazines.

That being said, they DO need a reputation for reliability. There was a gentleman at the range with his buddy a few weeks back, running Brownell mags through a Springfield and Remington R1. They didn't appear to be having any issues, although it was a leisurely shoot.

I don't concern myself much with names stamped in the metal. Does it work for my gun, or not? And can I afford it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the first things I consider when looking at a new rifle or pistol is how much do additional magazines cost? It's the reason My co-worker has 2-3 mags for his FAL and I have 80 for my PTR clone. After dropping $1k on a firearm, I'm just kicking myself while I'm down to spend another $20-$30 a pop on additional magazines.

That being said, they DO need a reputation for reliability. There was a gentleman at the range with his buddy a few weeks back, running Brownell mags through a Springfield and Remington R1. They didn't appear to be having any issues, although it was a leisurely shoot.

I don't concern myself much with names stamped in the metal. Does it work for my gun, or not? And can I afford it?

:yesway:

In my mind when a specific part/brand has worked reliably over a period of time I tend to stick with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So you're saying I should stick with Glock then. :D

Only if you are looking for boring reliability. I have made the analogy before, Glocks are like chubby chicks who can cook. Gals that you can take home to mom, the marrying type for sure. 1911s are prom queens and a bit more temperamental.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Only if you are looking for boring reliability. I have made the analogy before, Glocks are like chubby chicks who can cook. Gals that you can take home to mom, the marrying type for sure. 1911s are prom queens and a bit more temperamental.

But when they deliver thier goods, they really deliver their goods.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Considering I have been in the middle of a mid life crisis I can appreciate my 1911s. All of the other things that middle age men chase around or buy are simply trouble.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

This thread is getting hot!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ah, I forgot about the kids. It's always the kids!

Little Bastards will probably make off with my guns too. When I picked up that 9mm nighthawk Mrs.VERT said "VERT Jr. Will probably like shooting that....". Yeah right! I ain't starting a 12 year off with a semi custom 1911! He can learn to shoot a plastic, striker fired gun like everyone else. I had to choke down Old Milwaukees Best before I could appreciate the micro brews.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Little Bastards will probably make off with my guns too. When I picked up that 9mm nighthawk Mrs.VERT said "VERT Jr. Will probably like shooting that....". Yeah right! I ain't starting a 12 year off with a semi custom 1911! He can learn to shoot a plastic, striker fired gun like everyone else. I had to choke down Old Milwaukees Best before I could appreciate the micro brews.

So when the heck do I get to move up to the Nighthawk??!!

Top Bottom