• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice pistols. I thought I would throw this on here since it is a 1911 thread. I have a 1911 with a smooth front strap. I don't want to spend the money right now to have it checkered so I bought some skate board tape from Wet Gear. They sell it by the foot. I put a piece on the front strap and it is really nice. Not so aggressive that is feels like it will slice your fingers, but enough to provide a much better grip. $2.35 for a square foot of material.

Back to the regularly scheduled posting of fine 1911's.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So I had the 1911 out this evening as a conversation piece and figured I'd snap a picture and put it on INGO.
    picture.php

Excellent pistol, I have one too. :rockwoot:

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Absolutely beautiful Gold Cup! :rockwoot:

Did your Dad happen to save the original parts for it?

Thank you, OD.

What parts in particular, aside from the grips? I know enough about these old Colts to know what I've got, but not enough to be able to tell what pieces are or are not original. I've got much more reading/learning to do yet.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you, OD.

What parts in particular, aside from the grips? I know enough about these old Colts to know what I've got, but not enough to be able to tell what pieces are or are not original. I've got much more reading/learning to do yet.
    The thumb safety and grip safety. Colt changed from the small shelf military thumb safety circa 1949, and the grip safety should be the standard Government Model style. Two books I would recommend you get are, "Colt .45 Government Models (Commercial Series) - Second Edition (1912 through 1970 Including Super .38 and .22 Models, Plus Norwegian and Argentine Copies" by Charles W. Clawson, and "Colt Automatic Pistols" by Donald B. Bady.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    The thumb safety and grip safety. Colt changed from the small shelf military thumb safety circa 1949, and the grip safety should be the standard Government Model style. Two books I would recommend you get are, "Colt .45 Government Models (Commercial Series) - Second Edition (1912 through 1970 Including Super .38 and .22 Models, Plus Norwegian and Argentine Copies" by Charles W. Clawson, and "Colt Automatic Pistols" by Donald B. Bady.

Thank you for the information and lead on the book. I'll have to ask if those parts are lying around somewhere. It would be nice to at least have them in the vicinity.

-Rooster-
    Your father is the best. What a wonderful gift. That piece is forever.
    Congrates on your success and a great gift.

-CM-

And thank you sir. It was an extremely unexpected gift, and I have no intentions of doing anything other than using it to send plenty of rounds downrange, keeping it clean, and passing it on to the next generation when the time comes.

Top Bottom