• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Baby, that's like fingernails on a blackboard!!!

I dont disagree, Im not much on double stack 1911s either. The closer to original (except in a few places where modernization isnt a bad idea, lowered flared ejection ports, trigger gaurd undercuts, and Novak sights for instance) the better for me.

My Colt XSE is so near Perfect for my taste the only thing I want to change is the ambi safety. I HATE ambi safties!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I dont disagree, Im not much on double stack 1911s either. The closer to original (except in a few places where modernization isnt a bad idea, lowered flared ejection ports, trigger gaurd undercuts, and Novak sights for instance) the better for me.

My Colt XSE is so near Perfect for my taste the only thing I want to change is the ambi safety. I HATE ambi safties!

I don't necessarily "hate" my ambi, but I think I am going to change mine out too. I'm looking at the EB one. My safety on mine is a little too narrow, but mostly too rough!:( It definitely needs some smoothing work!

But I digress from the thread. Sorry!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Any out there with a higher than average capacity? If so, does it somehow compromise the firearm?
    Several companies make a double stack 1911. Among them are Para Ordinance, STI, and a few others.

All it does is make the grip a little wider.

Detonics Detonics - Home makes a double stack that is actually dimensionally slighly smaller than a single stack 1911. It does this by making the grips integral to the frame, rather than adding wood panel grips to the frame.

STI also makes several double stack models, they now also offer an ergo grip similar to the grip offered by Detonics, it is no thicker than standard single stack 1911 with wood grip panels.

Both of the above companies use modern machine techniques to achive their grips, the guns look a little unconventional. Many suggest the Detonics model looks like a cross between a 1911 and a CZ 75, but the gun functions as a 1911, its just the look of the grip/frame that has people thinking its similar to a CZ 75.

1-26.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have large enough hands the a double stack is no issue for me. Easy JetGirl, just a personal thing. I also love all my single stacks.
    Para makes probably the best mid priced Hi-cap double stack IMHO. I have a P-12 alloy frame that accepts any of the Para mags up to the 20 rd. pieces. Then there is my P-14 Limited Stainless. It is not a cheap piece but is one of the best "Shooters" in my safe. This is one of Paras better 1911's (Variant) and runs well with no more or less issues than any other 1911 I own. The mags interchange with the P-12 and this allows for a 15 rd .45 ACP on and officers size alloy frame. Great PP carry piece.
    Rock Island markets a copy of the P-14 but it is a sloppy, clunky poorly made piece again IMHO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Detonics Detonics - Home makes a double stack that is actually dimensionally slighly smaller than a single stack 1911. It does this by making the grips integral to the frame, rather than adding wood panel grips to the frame.

STI also makes several double stack models, they now also offer an ergo grip similar to the grip offered by Detonics, it is no thicker than standard single stack 1911 with wood grip panels.

Both of the above companies use modern machine techniques to achive their grips, the guns look a little unconventional. Many suggest the Detonics model looks like a cross between a 1911 and a CZ 75, but the gun functions as a 1911, its just the look of the grip/frame that has people thinking its similar to a CZ 75.

1-26.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Very nice.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have large enough hands the a double stack is no issue for me...

Get a Detonics double stack and you don't need large hands!

The dimensions are actually smaller/shorter in most ways. The length of pull is slightly shorter, due to the scalloped out rear of the frame. The thickness of the grip is thinner than a traditional 1911. It is a bit wider at the butt of the grip, and the frontstrap is wider, but in most every other way, the grip is thinner, easier for average and small handed people to hold, and more ergonomic for everyone to hold. I've never found anyone who didn't love the grip, no matter what their hand size.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    haha... I had that coming. I meant the mechanics/physics of fitting more rounds in a space set for single stack. And how well do they work, because it just seems like something has got give. And compromise is not good when it comes to defense!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    haha... I had that coming. I meant the mechanics/physics of fitting more rounds in a space set for single stack. And how well do they work, because it just seems like something has got give. And compromise is not good when it comes to defense!

They're longer. They work just like the others, but they're longer and stick out the bottom of your gun, unless you have a serious magwell. I don't like them, would rather carry extra 8-rounders. But that's just me.

Top Bottom