• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Okay guys im looking for a 1911 to carry and that i can enjoy range time with. Im thinking about rock island or something that I can find for a decent price but am wanting good quaility and something that is pretty accurate right out of the box I know i have looked at the rock islands and have found them with good triggers and sights for pretty good price but dont know about the quaility. Also im not sure if I should get the 45 or the 9mm maybe just some thoughts and advice from some of you would help me out alot.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If it was me, i'd get the .45, because, well, the gi ones were 45's, and I like that small connection to history, since I can't afford an actual service pistol.

As for the quality, if you do a search for rock island, I'm sure you'll read a bunch of good, and some bad reviews of them coming from people of all walks of life.

Personally, they seem to be good quality at that price. They're no springfield/kimber/what have you, but seem to be quite decent, in my non-owner experience.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I love my ria. Ive had the govt tactical model for about two years. Several range trips and zero issues. Not a single ftf or fte. I think they are the best value 1911 you can find. My opinion fwiw.

As far as caliber, I prefer the .45 but everyone has their own preference. Me personally, I can't imagine having a sweet 1911 in anything other than .45.

Definitely spend the extra bucks and upgrade from the GI model if you want a comfortable shooter right out of the box. Ext beavertail and upgraded sights are a must.

Good luck man. If you get a ria, you won't be sorry.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Rock Island 1911 in 45ACP....

Got some....love them.

Great gun.

I've never had a problem with them... not even feeding wad cutters.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    I've had my rock island for about four years now. I have never had any issues with the quality or any ftf or fte. I will also tell you the same thing that Mr. Cadillac just told you and that is the customer service is superb!!! My friend just had to ship his slide to them because his front sight kept flying off and they not only put on a new sight, they put on a new spring for the slide and a new firing pin.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I've had my RIA compact for a couple months now. So far I'm in love with it, especially at such a low price. Mine is the G.I., I do wish it had better sights.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you're liking the RIA, it might do you well to check out American Tactical Imports (ATI).
    Their FX45 GI model is what I have and it's performed flawlessly so far coming in around 800 rounds now...a mixed bag of factory, reloads, HP, RN, SWC...you name it.
    It was also about sixty bucks less than my Rock Island (which has been back to Armscor twice).
    http://www.americantactical.us/940/detail.html

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    RIA= quality firearm at a good price. Buy one with confidence, one is deffinatly on my want list. My brother loves his an we have shot that gun alot over the past year, no trouble out of it at all

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    My RIA Tactical is my favorite 1911. Well, actually it is my only 1911. But I do love it! 1 FTE in over 350 rounds (Tula). Way more accurate than I can shoot.

IMG_1579-1.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I wanted a Stainless/Chrome GI model, and thought the RIA looked funky. I put a Govt MetroArms American Classic from Bud's in layaway...they've since increased the price about 25 bucks...so I'm glad I did. When I ordered I called in the morning, they had 5 in stock, when I put it in layaway they had 3 left.

Haven't shot it yet, but FWIW, I really wanted a forged frame/slide and not MIM. Haven't checked it out, or fired it yet...but the American Classic line has been getting good reviews and has been sold out quite a bit online for the past 4 months or so.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    How do you like the sights on the RIA tactical? I'm wanting to get a full-size 1911 but don't want to break the bank.

Better than the GI. The front sight is plenty tall but needs at least a dot of white paint on it. My old eyes don't see too well anymore. might be OK for younger guys (and gals).

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    RIA= quality firearm at a good price. Buy one with confidence, one is deffinatly on my want list. My brother loves his an we have shot that gun alot over the past year, no trouble out of it at all

i 100% agree with steve great weapon for the price just make sure you go for the full size version and also you def will want the .45

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I had a government style and it was ok, but I would opt and splurge an extra $50 on the tactical. The solid guide rod makes a difference to me. I now have a Citadel Legacy (which is a RIA with a splash of even better parts there still made by Armscor) and its amazing to me especially for the price. They are a great 1911 for the cash IMO. They dont have the finish of the more expensive 1911s. I carry mine daily with trust

Top Bottom