• Choose only one...

• Total voters

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Rate 1911 pistols. Imagine cost as a non issue as if all brands listed cost the same amount of money. Only choose one and explain why...

I have purposely left out extreme high end Custom 1911's like Wilson, Les Bear, Ed Brown ect.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    I voted Other because the only experience i have with them is with the ones i built. Mine is built on a DoubleStar receiver with an Essex slide the internals are Wilson,Ed Brown and Chip McCormick. You can't go wrong with one you build yourself, unless you mess it up.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Last night I had both a Kimber Stainless Target II and a Colt Gold Cup completely disassembled for cleaning. The Colt's machining and over all fit was superior to the Kimber. The Kimber has a tighter slide to frame fit, but the Colt has a better barrel to slide fit. The Gold Cup is fairly new and needs some rounds put through it before I can tell just where the trigger will settle in at. The Kimber had a perfect 3 lb trigger (for me) since it is broke in. Having had four Gold Cups in the past I would go with Colt, but Kimber is right up there too. Not much experience with the other makers.
    coltkimberresized.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I voted S&W. Their guns feel great in my hands, and with the Smith quality they'd just have to be a winner!

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I want a Kimber. But I chose RIA before I read that price was to be a non issue. I figured that way I would get a good 1911 and have enough cash left over to stock up on ammo.

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Kimber, Springfield, and RIA aren't bad.
    I've only had a couple problems with Para
    Don't have any Sigs in 1911 (unless 220 counts.. :D) or S&W, Taurus, Olympic
    For the most part I've had better luck with Colt.

My money's on the ponies

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have two Kimbers, two Sig 1911's, one Colt, and one Dan Wesson Bobtail (made by CZ)

Personal opinion..... I prefer the Dan Wesson Bobtail. The machining is excellent, it feeds anything (as do the others), it's accurate (considering the shooter), and it feels the best in my hands, of all that I've held.

It's like shoes.... ya gotta let yer feet decide......:D

bobtail.jpg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I have or have had Colts, Springfields and Kimbers. The only ones I've not had any reliability issues with have been the Kimbers.
    Ergo, Kimber gets my vote.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have had several 1911's and the Taurus PT1911 is the most accurate pistol of all of them. I carry my Colt Defender due to the light weight. I personally like just about any 1911 you put in my hand. To pick a single favorite, I don't know that I can, based on they all have their own quality nitch and unfortunately, I have to base some of this on the price of the weapon. I know that I'm not supposed to, but cost is a big reason for the purchase decision that most make.

If I must pick a favorite, it would be the 1911 that I happen to be carrying at that moment.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have two Kimbers, two Sig 1911's, one Colt, and one Dan Wesson Bobtail (made by CZ)

Personal opinion..... I prefer the Dan Wesson Bobtail. The machining is excellent, it feeds anything (as do the others), it's accurate (considering the shooter), and it feels the best in my hands, of all that I've held.

It's like shoes.... ya gotta let yer feet decide......:D

bobtail.jpg

That is a sexy looking shootin iron..:yesway:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    That is a sexy looking shootin iron..:yesway:
    Thank you. I have to plead ignorance about the location of "Raccoon city", but if it's within driving distance of Grant County (Marion, IN) You're welcome to some trigger time with it.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Thank you. I have to plead ignorance about the location of "Raccoon city", but if it's within driving distance of Grant County (Marion, IN) You're welcome to some trigger time with it.

LMFAO it amazes me how no one gets my little joke on location especially how my profile reads with employer and all. Raccoon City is where all the Zombies came from in Resident Evil lol.. I live in Greenwood. I mostly shoot at FCVCC in Anderson... I would love to try it out sometime. AllenM did a bobtail job on his Pro Carry II and it looks great (He did the work himself by the way) Mine already has a small frame I am not sure it would be beneficial for me to do this to my pistol but I like the look...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The older Kimbers were great guns, the newer ones are hit and miss. Colt or Springer would be my 2 suggestions. I may well jump on a DW if I ever run across one - never shot one.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Have owned Kimber, Springfield, S&W and Colt. I chose S&W partially due to my PD - it's light, reliable and incredibly accurate. I also like S&W (and Springfield) for their lifetime warranty. I've had warranty work done by both companies and they are great to deal with. Love my Kimber but had a negative experience with another one which they never got right - although they tried several times and I'd have to rate their service responsiveness very good. Unfortunately bottom line was it never was reliable. My Colt experience was OK.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    This is a tough call for a couple of reasons:
    1) Springfield has a wide range of pistols. I see the importance of some of the their less expensive guns; however, they are qualitatively different than the high end Springfields. I hope to have a professional or a TGO in my collection one day.

2) S&W are probably offer the best variety at a lower price point providing all steel as well as lightweight combos in a variety of sizes that are accurate and backed by SWs warranty and customer service.

3) Colt is iconic and seems to have worked out any quality control issues from the 10 or so years ago. They make a great build gun and are preferred by most of the top smiths so you can get a pony, shot the crap out of it, and send it off to have customized if you want. They also make a terrific gun as is and offer some relatively higher end guns as well.

4) CZ (Dan Wesson) offers the best bang for your buck. The CBOB is a terrific option for an all steel commander gun. It is put together with top quality parts and I love mine. It hangs in there with some of the more expensive 1911s I have. Now, with the CCO option from CZ, they are providing some more options for your money at Dan Wesson which is nice.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I have a Para GI Expert and it shoots better than some others i've shot but had to vote for the Colt. Just because a Colt is a Colt like AR's. Jay you sir have one fine pistol.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I've only shot my Springfield and love it, its like a perfectly fit glove and I feel most comfortable when that gun is in my hands. I haven't shot any others so from my experience chalk another one to the Springers.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    my vote kimber. it to me is the best gun i have ever had. it was the smoothest, most balanced, acurate, and never failed on me. have to say that the colt is one of my favs as well kind of a hard pic to make

Top Bottom