• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had a HiPower in 40 and it was a little beast. Felt good to shoot and lots of down range thump. No extended beaver tail so it almost chewed my hand off. In a 1911 the 40 would be a heck of a cartridge.

My 9mm 1911 runs great. Very fun to shoot!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've have a RI in 9MM/22TCM (comes with 2 barrels) that has performed flawlessly. It's a double stack but fits my hand well and, I think, a great buy for the money. It's the only 9MM 1911 I've ever owned but I'm very satisfied with it.

[FONT=&amp]

NRA Life Member-- [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Last edited:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Kimber and Para. Probably others. Not sure why you want a 1911 in 40sw, but ok.

A few reasons actually.

1) I've always enjoyed large caliber hand guns and have never been recoil sensitive. That being said. I'm getting a lot of arthritis in my wrist and hand and the 45 isn't all that comfortable to shoot any more. At least not in the volume I normally shoot.

2) I don't currently have a 45 so I don't load for it. Not that big of a deal, I've loaded for it before. However, I've been consolidating calibers and feel no need to add another right now.

3) Mainly because I already carry a 40 M&Pc and it would make for a nice back up.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    A few reasons actually.

1) I've always enjoyed large caliber hand guns and have never been recoil sensitive. That being said. I'm getting a lot of arthritis in my wrist and hand and the 45 isn't all that comfortable to shoot any more. At least not in the volume I normally shoot.

2) I don't currently have a 45 so I don't load for it. Not that big of a deal, I've loaded for it before. However, I've been consolidating calibers and feel no need to add another right now.

3) Mainly because I already carry a 40 M&Pc and it would make for a nice back up.

.40 actually has a sharper recoil than .45.

udchemist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    and serparacord is correct - the felt and perceived recoil of the 40 is greater than that of the 45.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Re: 1911s in .40

By far, the .40S&W is the most challenging to make work in a single stack 1911. Some gunsmiths can get it done on most guns and sometimes you'll get really lucky, but I would never even try it based on what I've seen on the range. Some 9mms can be finicky, but nowhere in the league of .40.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Re: 1911s in .40

By far, the .40S&W is the most challenging to make work in a single stack 1911. Some gunsmiths can get it done on most guns and sometimes you'll get really lucky, but I would never even try it based on what I've seen on the range. Some 9mms can be finicky, but nowhere in the league of .40.

Why do you think that is? Slide cycling too fast?

FYI my SW1911 in 9mm has been 100%. I will admit I have not run it very hard. I think the big external extractor might be the reason.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    :runaway:RUNAWAY!!! I know, just even CLICKING on this thread makes you 1911 people feel dirty. I'm well aware. All joking aside, I could use some help!

I'll be turning 21 next month, it's now time for me to start doing my research in the handgun market. Something that just keeps popping up are 9mm on a 1911 platform. How many of you own something like this? Furthermore, how many of you carry one? What are your thoughts? What are some good brands?

I would also be on a budget, so something under $600 would be great.

Love the platform, would love to own one

You can try an STI Spartan. I have one and it is a fantastic weapon. I use it for USPSA competition.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why do you think that is? Slide cycling too fast?

FYI my SW1911 in 9mm has been 100%. I will admit I have not run it very hard. I think the big external extractor might be the reason.

It's a geometry issue. 9mm is a little too short for the ideal of a 1911. It was designed for .45 ACP. .38 super and 9x23mm are about the same length, so they work very well. The same goes for 10mm.

.40 is the worst because it's as short as 9mm, plus it's fatter. That's why some have better luck loading their .40 longer than the factory maximum in order to make the gun function. That means that ammo won't work in a Glock or any gun with 9mm-sized magazines, but if you want to shoot a .40 1911, it can help a lot.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I had a Kimber Target II in 9mm a couple of years ago. It had a lot of failure to function issues: failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to make me happy. It was returned to Kimber (at my cost) and the Kimber Custom Shop worked it over and sent it back in about 2 weeks. Nice turn around time, I thought. Too bad it still had the same failure to function problems as before. I used 5 different brands of factory 9mm ammo and a few favorite handloads, I changed from 115gr to 124gr to 147gr bullets, I bought 4 more magazines, but it still would not work reliably.
    I will stick to 45acp in my 1911s.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    I second the RIA 1911 9mm. I had one that I picked up used for $380, and functioned great. RIA 1911s also come with a lifetime warranty and their customer service is great. I only sold mine because I needed rent money. Get a RIA save yourself a couple hundred bucks and spend it on ammo.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, I own not one but two (2) RIA/Armscor 9mm 1911A1 pistols. At one point I posted glowing reports about one of them on here because it worked so well . . . until it got to about 1000 rounds. Then it choked and was unreliable without significant work by a very good smith. The second never functioned properly and it too required a lot of work. The worst part is that the frames, slides, and small parts were all over the board in terms of tolerances. It's almost like the two came from separate factories. I would not purchase another unless it was well used by someone I trusted.

I think a much better option is an STI Spartan. Yes, the frame and slide are Armscor and they build them in the same factory as their own guns, but I've observed several of them functioning well. They are the cream of the crop in terms of the parts and probably the guys who build them compared to the regular Armscor/RIA guns. And, they don't cost that much more.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    A 9mm 1911 reminds me of:

bruce_jenner_435x290.jpg

In your price range, you could buy a CZ, Glock, Springfield XD, Kahr or an S&W in 9mm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Don't get me wrong I love me some HiPower goodness. I have sent several thousand rounds downrange with that platform. I am only recently a 1911 convert and still consider myself a noob. I have to admit I think the 1911 in 9mm is even more fun then my old favorite, the BHP.

2012-06-23_22-28-55_407.jpg

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    This Springfield Armory 9mm was bought used for $700 from a friend who made some customizations to it which included the arched backstrap.
    It shoots like a dream and without any problems at all. Considering all of the features including being stainless, IMHO it's worth the ~$200 extra cost which is like paying $10 more per year over a 20 year time period.
    It's a pistol that I want to keep for a lifetime and then pass on to one of my kids.

P1000401a-50_zpsf1021fba.jpg

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Question... I've seen it multiple times in this thread and others... how 9mm sometimes has trouble locking the slide back after the last round. Is that due to the lack of powder compared to the .45?
    If so (im a hand loader) I'm also interested in a 9mm 1911. Is there a recipe anyone uses that is an ideal charge to fully operate the heavy slide and stiff spring of the 1911 in 9mm? It is never good to over charge a red, especially a 9mm being that it is a very high pressure rd to begin with, but is there a recipe that anyone has found successful. I tend to stick to the midrange to lower end of the powder charges. I get much better accuracy and operation that way... at least I'm my m9, sigs, and EAA's.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question... I've seen it multiple times in this thread and others... how 9mm sometimes has trouble locking the slide back after the last round. Is that due to the lack of powder compared to the .45?
    If so (im a hand loader) I'm also interested in a 9mm 1911. Is there a recipe anyone uses that is an ideal charge to fully operate the heavy slide and stiff spring of the 1911 in 9mm? It is never good to over charge a red, especially a 9mm being that it is a very high pressure rd to begin with, but is there a recipe that anyone has found successful. I tend to stick to the midrange to lower end of the powder charges. I get much better accuracy and operation that way... at least I'm my m9, sigs, and EAA's.

In my experience, it's a question of balancing the recoil spring + mainspring with the springs in the magazines, with the recoil of the ammo being the least of the concerns. I do not consider the slide not locking on an empty magazine to be a malfunction, although I'm sure others will disagree. I decided along the way I'd rather have a gun that feeds and fires every time than one that locked the slide, but didn't always feed properly.

For what it's worth, my Springfield will usually lock open with my 9rd Springfield/Metalform mags, but almost never with my Metalform 10rd mags.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom