Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh good lord!!
    umfall.gif

Just trying to preserve your delicate sensibilities and all, you know, a chimp with a 1911 is not to be trifled with.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I kinda sorta maybe disagree around the 1:48 mark, where she said the grip safety was designed for a safer cocked and locked firearm.
    On one hand, yes that's true by initial design... HOWEVER, if she meant that it was designed to make it safer than just the thumb safety, that is wrong.
    The grip safety came first.
    The 1910 (predecessor to the 1911) did not have a thumb safety, but DID have a grip safety.
    Small bone to pick, I know...
    I'll shut up now and watch the rest.

Au contraire, if you listen again, I believe she says "cocked and UNlocked" meaning that when the grip safety was added, the safety wasn't engaged. Maybe she lucked out with wording or maybe she knew that it was implemented on a "non-lockable" firearm. She was well-spoken. Good video.

I'm glad you pointed this out because I actually didn't know the grip safety was on the M1910 and the thumb safety was added on the M1911. Thanks for the info.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Au contraire, if you listen again, I believe she says "cocked and UNlocked" meaning that when the grip safety was added, the safety wasn't engaged. Maybe she lucked out with wording or maybe she knew that it was implemented on a "non-lockable" firearm. She was well-spoken. Good video.

I'm glad you pointed this out because I actually didn't know the grip safety was on the M1910 and the thumb safety was added on the M1911. Thanks for the info.

I'll give it another listen. Meanwhile...check it out:

29uuh4o.jpg

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Well, I guess, I might as well chime in .... Several of other Service people, have said what I am about to say ..... B4 the Military, I heard of carrying a .45 1911, "cocked & locked" and I thought "who would do that" !!!!!
    Then I went to "Boot Camp" and there I did LEARN a thing or two, about JMB, wonderful handgun..... IMHO, C&L, is the ONLY way to carry a 1911..... IANAL, and I did NOT sleep at Holiday Inn, last night .....

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    It is absolutely logical to assume that John would have considered condition 1 carry to be totally safe. All you need to do is look at the 1903 hammerless design and that becomes very clear. The 03 has a thumb safety and a grip safety, and while their functions are opposite of the 1911 (grip safety blocks the sear/thumb safety makes the trigger non functional), the same safety conditions are met.............sear blocked........trigger not functional. The hammerless of course actually had a hammer and had to be carried cocked n locked since you could not access the hammer.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Several on this thread have mentioned seeing someone carrying with what they assumed was hammer down on a live round. It is every bit as likely that person was carrying with an empty chamber. As a nation, the Israelis probably spend more time and more ammunition per capita than we in the U.S., and their considered solution is to carry with an empty chamber. As just about everyone in the Middle East is against them, far be it from me to criticize folks that have a more serious mind set than most of us, and prosper or perish based on their state of readiness.

Top Bottom